Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > HPI Venture

Notices

Thread: Jato The Ad Venture

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #41

Default Re: Jato The Ad Venture

By the time I finished the installation the sun had come back out. So I headed to the stump challenge. Well let's just say this truck was stumped by the stump. It simply wouldn't clime the wet stump with these tires - not even with the additional weight. We will have to wait for sunnier days and if recent history is any indication that could be a long while.

The truck climbed any other obstacle it would in the dry. But I noticed the bumpers could use some tucking front and rear. I removed the bumpers and cut off a section of the mounts so I could tuck them in farther. With the stock length the bumpers are pushed in as far as they can before the mounts contact the chassis.

Here's the front bumper showing what I mean. You can't push the bumper in any farther and still get the holes to line up so you have to trim.

Before

After. It's not much, but sometimes it doesn't take much to add performance. The bumpers, as I stated earlier, are designed well and they allow for good approach and departures as is, but this will certainly help a bit.

And a moist, post-stump failure shot. I like the word moist because my girlfriend hates it!

And an ass shot because baby got back! Not really, I'm just showing the rear bumper tuck. I could tuck the rear bumper in another notch and it would still look good with the body IMO, but then the tires would hit the bumper when the suspension was compressed.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2018, 09:45 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Definitely look like solid parts and worth-the-investment improvement. And yes, purty too.

Bring on the MOAS!

Edit: Ok, after tires.

I always hear Isaac Butterfield now with that word..."Makes 'em moister than an oyster!"

Last edited by 2mtech; 08-03-2018 at 09:47 AM.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

I want one of these for 250..... Looks to be coming along nicely.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Definitely look like solid parts and worth-the-investment improvement. And yes, purty too.

Bring on the MOAS!

Edit: Ok, after tires.

I always hear Isaac Butterfield now with that word..."Makes 'em moister than an oyster!"
MOAS? What's that?
Old 08-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
MOAS? What's that?
Mother of All Stumps!
Old 08-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #46

Quote:
Mother of All Stumps!
Ahh. I was thinking it was some new kind of Motor On Axle.

Yes, we will wait for the new tars.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

That is looking really nice! I'd definitely pick one up if it ever gets discounted.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
That is looking really nice! I'd definitely pick one up if it ever gets discounted.
Thank you! It's a shame this truck was delayed and then came out overpriced. It'll never get the love it deserves and nobody will care about it until it's gone.

The truck was released, what, 2 years after it was announced? And the original price of $370 wasn't bad and with coupons it was somewhere around $320. But then they decided to think they are Traxxas and raised the price to $400 and make it so you can't use coupons on the truck.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thank you! It's a shame this truck was delayed and then came out overpriced. It'll never get the love it deserves and nobody will care about it until it's gone.

The truck was released, what, 2 years after it was announced? And the original price of $370 wasn't bad and with coupons it was somewhere around $320. But then they decided to think they are Traxxas and raised the price to $400 and make it so you can't use coupons on the truck.
They definitely screwed themselves. When first announced it offered some interesting innovation but they rested on their laurels too long, and then SCX 10.2 and TRX-4. Their reaction to the response of their marketing apathy was to jack up the price?

Nice try, HPI.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #50

Quote:
They definitely screwed themselves. When first announced it offered some interesting innovation but they rested on their laurels too long, and then SCX 10.2 and TRX-4. Their reaction to the response of their marketing apathy was to jack up the price?

Nice try, HPI.
Exactly. And despite the fact that people don't want to hear it, the SCX10 II isn't that special. My initial impressions tell me this truck is worth every penny that the SCX10 II is worth. The SCX10 II RTR is going for $390 and it has the Axial name behind it. HPI has to make their truck stand out somehow despite their reputation as a dying company that rarely has parts in stock. The way to do that, IMO, is to lower the price.

Good news is that my tires were delivered a day early. So tonight after dinner when my girlfriend falls asleep (anywhere from 6PM to 8PM because she wakes up at 3:30 AM for work) I will be going Berserk-er.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:59 AM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Exactly. And despite the fact that people don't want to hear it, the SCX10 II isn't that special. My initial impressions tell me this truck is worth every penny that the SCX10 II is worth. The SCX10 II RTR is going for $390 and it has the Axial name behind it. HPI has to make their truck stand out somehow despite their reputation as a dying company that rarely has parts in stock. The way to do that, IMO, is to lower the price.
Absolutely. You can always creep the price up to expand margin once you have some market credibility.

Quote:
Good news is that my tires were delivered a day early. So tonight after dinner when my girlfriend falls asleep (anywhere from 6PM to 8PM because she wakes up at 3:30 AM for work) I will be going Berserk-er.
So when she gets tired, you'll get tired?
Old 08-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #52

Quote:
So when she gets tired, you'll get tired?
Yes!
Old 08-03-2018, 08:42 PM   #53

Mmm rubber! I keep feeding my wheel and tire addiction (fetish?). This time with Pitbull (or is it Pit Bull? - I always forget) Braven Berserker tires. That name...odd one, you are.

That's some cool, scale tread, yo!

Step 1 Install the inner ri...WTF?! The included inner foam ripped when inserting the inner ring for the beadlock wheel. I've never had this happen before and it only happened to this tire. Grr! Apparent Dirty Richard is a wuss. Out of sight out of mind, right? Let's continue.

One mounted on Incision MR307 wheels I had sitting around. I used them once in my backyard and that was it. I had Boom Racing Hustlers on them, but the tires pulled right off. After an email discussion with Michael at Vanquish he sent me new rings as mine were apparently too narrow and out of spec. The same thing happened when I installed the Boom tires with the new rings. Michael agreed to see what was the matter if I sent him the wheels and tires. He even sent me a prepaid return shipment box. I forgot about it and the wheels sat here so let's try them again with different tires.

I've been long wanting a narrower tire like you see on 1:1 vehicles. I think this fits the bill. Scale tread - check. Good rubber compound - check. Skinny - check. Foams...hmm TBD.

Now lets mount them to the truck!

Me likey!

The Berserkers next to the stockers. Hmm I didn't gain much if any height with these like I had wanted. But they look damn good IMO.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:47 PM   #54

Of course Mother "Bitch" Nature knew I was installing new tires and it started raining about halfway through mounting the tires. I forgot to mention that before I installed the new tires I once again tried the stump challenge. The Venture just wasn't doing it with the Choline Fauxline tires unless I held it wide open and let the tires get traction after it got hung up. That's not a climb so no video.

Because rain put a dampening on my parade I decided to fix the steering geometry. I order some Hot Racing spacer sets and they were fortunately delivered today as well. After combining a 4mm and a .5mm spacer I got the drag link and panhard bar pretty damn close.

You can see the raw aluminum spacers coming off of the servo horn just under the bumper. You can also see how the panhard bar is hidden nicely right behind the drag link. No bump steer here. I gotta stop rhyming...

So now we wait, again, for sunshine...
Old 08-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Of course Mother "Bitch" Nature knew I was installing new tires and it started raining about halfway through mounting the tires. I forgot to mention that before I installed the new tires I once again tried the stump challenge. The Venture just wasn't doing it with the Choline Fauxline tires unless I held it wide open and let the tires get traction after it got hung up. That's not a climb so no video.

Because rain put a dampening on my parade I decided to fix the steering geometry. I order some Hot Racing spacer sets and they were fortunately delivered today as well. After combining a 4mm and a .5mm spacer I got the drag link and panhard bar pretty damn close.

You can see the raw aluminum spacers coming off of the servo horn just under the bumper. You can also see how the panhard bar is hidden nicely right behind the drag link. No bump steer here. I gotta stop rhyming...

So now we wait, again, for sunshine...
Good luck with that wait this year!!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Default Jato The Ad Venture

As I was reading the thread, the rains came!! Damn if it wasn’t rain here, not just dribbles, a monsoon from the east!! The Gulf side was blue sky and sunny as it poured !
I had just come in after shooting chassis pics in HDR and wanted to put the body on and turn the lights on ..... OH well more indoor fun !
Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 08-03-2018 at 09:50 PM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Glad the color is growing on you but I gotta say that the tan/ sand color is the best looking color for that particular body. It's the least Easter-eggy color to go on an FJ imo. Looks so perfect with the black flares, cargo rack , etc... and the Method's and Berzerker's. One hell of a sexy rig there, sir!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
As I was reading the thread, the rains came!! Damn if it wasn’t rain here, not just dribbles, a monsoon from the east!! The Gulf side was blue sky and sunny as it poured !
I had just come in after shooting chassis pics in HDR and wanted to put the body on and turn the lights on ..... OH well more indoor fun !
Hang up and Drive
I wanna see the HDR pics if they are of your Origin! I'm sure you'll post them in your thread, right?

Funny, I was just thinking today how PA turned into Florida. It's always raining, always humid, and it goes from sunny to monsoon to sunny again in a matter of an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Glad the color is growing on you but I gotta say that the tan/ sand color is the best looking color for that particular body. It's the least Easter-eggy color to go on an FJ imo. Looks so perfect with the black flares, cargo rack , etc... and the Method's and Berzerker's. One hell of a sexy rig there, sir!
I like the Easter-eggy FJ. The styling was bold when it was released and it deserved bold colors like the blue that I love. But yes, the color has grown on me.

THanks for the kind words!
Old 08-04-2018, 04:50 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

The only thing I don't like about these tires is I guess the foam they come with. It seems like it is too big. When mounted up they look like ATV tires. Way too rounded across the tread. If you look at the pic you took of the unmounted tire the tread is more square to the sidewall and flat across the tread surface, much more like a truck tire. This also is what turns me off the VS4-10 tires. They do the same thing. I had the same issue with my Braven Ironsides. Foam was way too big for the tire and ballooned it out when mounted.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:00 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
The only thing I don't like about these tires is I guess the foam they come with. It seems like it is too big. When mounted up they look like ATV tires. Way too rounded across the tread. If you look at the pic you took of the unmounted tire the tread is more square to the sidewall and flat across the tread surface, much more like a truck tire. This also is what turns me off the VS4-10 tires. They do the same thing. I had the same issue with my Braven Ironsides. Foam was way too big for the tire and ballooned it out when mounted.
Well they are UTV tires so...

I understand what you're saying, but the only way to get a flat tire profile is to make the foams too small or too soft or too use closed cell in which case they're rock hard.

Tags
crawler, hpi, jato, scale, venture

Jato The Ad Venture - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my hpi venture ghost97ta HPI Venture 24 05-02-2020 11:25 PM
MT Venture TAT76 HPI Venture 51 01-29-2020 12:32 AM
Dabbler got a Venture FJ! johnnyluv HPI Venture 24 10-08-2018 04:14 PM
The venture is here! Jfrisch01 HPI Venture 127 03-06-2018 07:34 PM
Another venture. aubie Chit Chat 6 12-25-2005 05:35 AM