RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   HPI Venture (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-venture/)
-   -   Another Venture build by this newb (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-venture/602148-another-venture-build-newb.html)

odomandr 09-11-2018 03:48 PM

Another Venture build by this newb

2 Attachment(s)
Current rig build sheet
Venture chassis
Crawler Central links
SSD brass knuckles and aluminum c hubs
Hpi cvd axles
Hpi brass axle tubes
Beef tubes shock spring retainer
SSD contender wheels
Hyrax class1 tires
CI foams
Rc4wd warn winch
Castle Mamba x esc
Castle slate 1900kv
Reefs 555 servo
Powershift light kit for fj body

Well like many I was really into this truck when it was announced. Then it didn't show up and I doubted it ever would, then it did but I wanted the grey one and never saw it in stock anywhere. I browsed on here and noted that a used one may appear and sure enough on Ebay a month or so ago I found this grey one from someone who claimed to have lost the charger and never really driven it. Sure enough it showed up with a battery and no charger, no manual or anything just a truck with a battery and radio. I ordered a manual and played around until the battery died then I swapped it over to deans and 3s and played a bit but determined a new servo was in order. I put a reefs 555 in it and plan to see how it really does on a trip to New Orleans this week/end. Anyway, as per my usual I am documenting the progress of this truck here and hope to learn a bit from you all as well. I have high hopes that HPI parts will start to show up but I plan to look into the ascender mods for the front axles in the mean time as well as some wheels and tires and a battery relocate mod the bowhouse setup looks good. any input is more than welcome and I look forward to learning more about the HPI world separate from the axial world i have been living in.

Brake Weight 09-11-2018 04:41 PM

Re: Another Venture build by this newb

Where do you plan on crawling at in New Orleans? There maybe some good crawl spots at a couple of downtown hotel courtyards.

It’s a scientific fact that time moves faster in the Big Easy than CO.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8862094/
Check the regional section, too.

odomandr 09-11-2018 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brake Weight (Post 5867812)
Where do you plan on crawling at in New Orleans? There maybe some good crawl spots at a couple of downtown hotel courtyards.

It’s a scientific fact that time moves faster in the Big Easy than CO.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8862094/
Check the regional section, too.

Courtyard is probably exactly where I'll be. Local Facebook group said something about getting together Saturday night in a park. Mostly I just need something to do while I'm up early or if we end up driving to visit her family a few hours away. Also Southwest allows lots of checked bags and carry on so why not

Brake Weight 09-11-2018 07:45 PM

Sent a PM.

odomandr 09-12-2018 06:50 PM

Well I could potentially crawl the banks of the MS River. About 4 blocks away the rocky shoreline will have tons of holes for the tires to fall in

odomandr 03-15-2019 09:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've had this on pause while I waited on CVD axles. I can't stand not being able to find a part with a truck sitting broken so it sat in working order....

I finally found a set of the cvd axles while looking for yeti jr gears. That means the build is back on. Despite being on pause I've been collecting parts to make it mine. To start out it needed something to replace the RTR electronics that were left. I had a Mamba x and slate 1900, as well as a bec. I also grabbed lights from powershift and a water rc4wd winch. For some added weight I picked up the beef tips from beef tubes, the HPI brass axle tubes and SSD c hubs and knuckles. For wheels I chose the contenders from SSD and hyrax class 1 tires to tuck inside the flares. I ordered some CI foams for the tires and now it's time to assemble.

I started out removing the factory paint from behind the light stickers and then began gluing in the powershift lights. The front headlights have paint inside and out with the matte grill so I cut them out and used a molotow chrome pen inside the 3d powershift buckets then shoe gooed them. Every other light is through the sticker despite the led also being the correct color.. I then got to gluing in a small drone battery and hiding the wiring while I determine if running battery will do double duty.

After getting the lights sorted it was time to install the motor and esc. Once I got the trans open I cleaned out the grease which was surprisingly clean thankfully as I bought this second hand. Once reassembled I tested the gear mesh and set the wheels and tires on the bench to begin the mounting process. Once they were all mounted I tested for rubbing and clearance and was in the good as I'm not too worried with a slight amount under compression during full lock....

So now to re do the axles with brass still waiting on the HPI tubes. Can't blame anyone but mother nature as they got delayed by the bomb cyclone....

I also threw some scale Barbie shit on the roof rack.

I need to decide on a bumper setup front and rear. The rc4wd is nice but pricey and I want something with improved clearance within the sorcca class 1 restrictions. I also should figure out an interior solution and a better battery location.... Thanks to all the other venture owners for keeping my interest I think this truck is fun

M1tch 03-15-2019 09:44 PM

Wow a very patient person!! Nice build, and hope it drives well.

odomandr 03-17-2019 08:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you. So I should have the tubes Monday. Excited to get this truck about sorted out and really see how it drives. I re drilled the set of honcho scaler Fab sliders to fit the skid/frame and the rest of the slider was a perfect fit. Here is a few pictures of how the lights turned out and the winch set in place yet to be mounted

odomandr 03-19-2019 12:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the SSD c hubs and knuckles installed today along with the cvd axles and HPI brass tubes. Also used an oil based sharpie to repaint the trim outside the windows as my stickers were a bit bubbled. The warn winch fit with some persuasion of the bar in front but it's in there solid. I was unsuccessful wireingit in as the rc4wd controller was a bust ......

Still need to add brass tubes to the rear. And beef tips on the shocks.... This thing is heavy but it also motivated me to re great it all throughout with something besides that orange hpi grease

soze 03-19-2019 01:52 AM

I thought I recognized your name on reddit!

Anyway, I see you're going with the SSD contenders like me. I had some clearance issues where the knuckle where the drag-link attaches rubbed the tires, did you get a different offset adapter?

odomandr 03-19-2019 06:50 AM

No but I chose tiny class 1 tires. I didn't even roll it around last night after reassembled. I'll check clearance,..........looks like you may be correct some slight rubbing

JatoTheRipper 03-19-2019 08:43 AM

Great looking truck! Those mini Hyrax tires look good on there.

soze 03-19-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odomandr (Post 5920075)
No but I chose tiny class 1 tires. I didn't even roll it around last night after reassembled. I'll check clearance,..........looks like you may be correct some slight rubbing

Hmmm ok, I'm not sure what the stock hub width is for the contenders. I'll have to see which one to get to space it out. I don't have them mounted on my Venture right now, because of the rubbing.

odomandr 03-19-2019 02:56 PM

its a 6mm hex i think the ssd 3mm spacer rotor things will solve it. bummed because i really like how close they were to tucking

soze 03-19-2019 03:40 PM

3mm won't be too bad. At least the tires won't be gouged. I neglected to check the clearance when I had the RockBeast 4.5s mounted with the Contender wheels. Now I've got a line going across the inside of the tire. Luckily I was still trying to decide wheel and tire combos and didn't really run it that much, otherwise I would have gouged through the tire eventually.

carpetfuzz17 03-19-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odomandr (Post 5920240)
its a 6mm hex i think the ssd 3mm spacer rotor things will solve it. bummed because i really like how close they were to tucking

I have the SSD brake rotors in the +3mm. They look awesome. I will post up a couple pictures.

carpetfuzz17 03-19-2019 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odomandr (Post 5920240)

Here is the difference
On the driver side 8mm hex and China wheel
Passengers side stock hex +3mm brake rotors and D hole rims
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...36eeba4085.jpg

Plenty of clearance with on +3mm rotor
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...38378d918f.jpg

Clearance with the 8mm hex
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a549f06ea3.jpg

D hole rim with +3mm brake rotor
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...14dda9f70a.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5f03564a57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odomandr 03-19-2019 07:39 PM

Perfect. Thank you

carpetfuzz17 03-19-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odomandr (Post 5920329)
Perfect. Thank you

"thumbsup"

Your welcome buddy

I am actually liking the +3mm look with the FJ body

odomandr 04-16-2019 11:50 AM

So I added the front ssd +3mm offset brake rotor to the front and its just right now. I actually think the spacing on the front is perfect too as most local FJ guys have a bit of tire outside the flare, I know my tacoma is that way too. I have a pair for the rear but laziness has gotten the best of me in that regard. I did try to hunt down a 4 link mount but that may be a futile effort with hpi in admin. I think the brass in the front is a bit much actually and dont plan to add the tubes in the rear or add beef tips that i had ordered to the shocks (at least until i am bored one weekend and end up rebuilding them). I think this truck is super cool and was very capable as well.