Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > HPI Venture

Notices

Thread: Venture SBK - Scale Builder Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2019, 01:23 PM   #41

Default Re: Venture SBK - Scale Builder Kit

I am getting back into crawlers again and had been looking at various kits - i think this is the one i am going to go with.
RCAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #42
RCC Addict

I pre ordered a kit today. No delivery date yet, but 4 shops I emailed only 1 replied, so they got the order. I just want to build another kit and this looks a good one to do. No ideas yet on body or electrics atm.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:47 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
I pre ordered a kit today. No delivery date yet, but 4 shops I emailed only 1 replied, so they got the order. I just want to build another kit and this looks a good one to do. No ideas yet on body or electrics atm.
Amain has it as next week. Feb 15th.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Yeah, but I'm in the UK. Sometimes dates are later than USA or Asia as it's a smaller market. No rush as want to decide on esc and motor.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Amain has it as next week. Feb 15th.
I did read that HPI was shipping kits to the distributors on Jan 24. I am hoping that the 15th is true.

I would think if they were shipping to distributors on 24th that you would see them before the 15th
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

I found it. Was on the HPI Venture Farcebook page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #47
RCC Addict

One UK shop has the stock date as 13th February. Don't know about the one I bought from, but should be the same.

I just need to look at motor, esc, servo, and possible upgrades. Suggestions anyone? I have a 1080 esc already.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
One UK shop has the stock date as 13th February. Don't know about the one I bought from, but should be the same.

I just need to look at motor, esc, servo, and possible upgrades. Suggestions anyone? I have a 1080 esc already.

The 1080 is a good choice. I have a couple of them and very pleased with them. I have 2 540 motors (45 and 65 turn) and 2 550 (27 and 45 turn). No sure which one I am going to use thinking about the 550 45T. Depends on how much you want to spend on a servo. Several good ones to pick from.

I have read that the SSD Chubs and knuckles are a nice upgrade.

Maybe relocating the battery wouldn't hurt too.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Also beware of the front and rear bumper mounts. They only fit the HPI bumpers the hole spacing is wider than the other brands.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Thanks. I will have to read a few threads I guess. Got SSD knuckles on order and have a suitable 550 or 540 motor. Finding upgrade stuff in the UK can be difficult. I might just create a list and order from RPP or somehere.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks. I will have to read a few threads I guess. Got SSD knuckles on order and have a suitable 550 or 540 motor. Finding upgrade stuff in the UK can be difficult. I might just create a list and order from RPP or somehere.
From what I've read it really doesn't need much. The biggest complaint was no CVDs but those come in the kit plus axle weights. I picked up a set of FJ bumpers and sliders off eBay really cheap. I have a clear FJ body waiting to go once the kit is out.

Tires is the biggest challenge for me. I am not a fan of skinny tires. I want a little bit more rubber on the ground versus rubber bands
Old 02-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Tires I have anyway, but not sure what the best size is, I drive in dirt, leafy rooty terain and things like the RC4WD Goodyear MT/r's work well (I have the 4.19 1.9") or bigger, the Duratrax Deep Woods or Gmade MT1904. A more open trwad works best in that. The Gmades are my favourite as the squared of shape works well while the Deep Woods are more rounded and don't have the edge grip.

Servo's I have either Savox waterproof or a couple of PowerHD 20kg waterproof as well. Both are good and powerfult enough on my Ascenders.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Lightbulb Re: Venture SBK - Scale Builder Kit

Not sure what tires I am going to do. LHS has a huge selection and I am starting there. Was there last weekend looking for stuff and trying different things out. Owner is really cool about letting me go through the boxes of tires and if we couldn't find something he just ordered it. He was working on a SSD order worth $4000. Asked if he had the portals and shocks on the order and his answer was "I do now " the order jumped up to $5000 by the time I was leaving
Old 02-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have a suitable 550 or 540 motor.

I just wanted to add that the 550 size motor will limit your pinion options as the larger motor will eventually hit the crossmember when trying to get mesh when gearing down. A 540 should allow for more options.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:38 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

The FJ body also only fits around 4.3-4.4" tires or smaller without cutting the fender flares. I'm struggling with tire choices right now as well. The Rock Beast 4.5's are too big and rub. The Pro-Line Class 1 KM3s are a tad smaller and skinnier, but look great otherwise. The Boom Racing Hustler 4.45's are actually just about the same size as the stock tires in height and width, but the foams in the 1st release 4.45 Hustlers suck (which is what I have). I'm currently waiting for my order of CI foams to come in to see if I can't get some better performance out of the 4.45 Hustlers.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I just wanted to add that the 550 size motor will limit your pinion options as the larger motor will eventually hit the crossmember when trying to get mesh when gearing down. A 540 should allow for more options.
Do remember reading about. As stated before I don't have one so just trying to think of things. Is possible to sand down the area where the motor will hit on the crossmember?
Old 02-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Well I won't be using an FJ body anyway. I might just try the MT/R's and see what body I could use. I feel like trying a hard body instead of lexan this time.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetfuzz17 View Post
Is possible to sand down the area where the motor will hit on the crossmember?

If you just need a little bit of space its likely to help. Though I'd probably use a box cutter/razor to get the bulk of the material.

I have plans to design a crossmember (for 3D printing) that doesn't sit so close to the motor once I get the SBK. I'm not even planning to use a 550, I just want to fill a void I see.

14T is the smallest I've heard fits, that was using a HH Trailmaster Venture gearing

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-07-2019 at 08:12 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
If you just need a little bit of space its likely to help. Though I'd probably use a box cutter/razor to get the bulk of the material.

I have plans to design a crossmember (for 3D printing) that doesn't sit so close to the motor once I get the SBK. I'm not even planning to use a 550, I just want to fill a void I see.

14T is the smallest I've heard fits, that was using a HH Trailmaster Venture gearing
Thanks for the information. I like the idea of a 3D print but a little cutting and sanding can't hurt also.

Just waiting till I have one on hand to start tinkering. I have ideas but don't know if they will work.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Question (not again they groan). What kind of body width suits the Venture?

Venture SBK - Scale Builder Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Spawn Builder Kit? UTVUGRUSTY Newbie General 10 05-31-2016 06:53 PM
wraith rtr/builder kit , ax10 ridgecrest or scx10 kit hocho/dingo xC Pirates Newbie General 9 06-09-2012 06:54 AM
NFMH First Scale Venture Nitrofreakmanho Axial SCX-10 27 11-25-2011 02:50 AM