Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > HPI Venture

Notices

Thread: Stripped set screw on trans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2019, 05:54 AM   #1

Default Stripped set screw on trans

Any one know why this thing won't back out? I've never seen LOC tite this intense and I fear I may have stripped it. Anyone have any helpful ideas for getting it out? Thanks.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MJ5Qpck6586ja1Wj8http://https://photos.app.goo.gl/MJ5Qpck6586ja1Wj8
Delta5Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Stripped set screw on trans

heat it up with the tip of a soldering iron...that will break the locktite bond..
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Sorry, but the photo isn't working for me so I can't see what you're problem is. By stripped, do you mean stripped head or stripped threads?

In general for a stripped head, you're going to drill the screw head off, then use pliers to turn the shank of the screw out.

To drill a screw head off, you start by selecting a drill bit that is the same diameter, or slightly less than the shank of the screw, e.g.: 3mm screw = 3mm drill bit. Then start drilling into the screw, and you'll see, hear and feel that head pop off and run up the drill bit.

Once that's done, the screw's shank is still buried in the part. You can now slide the part off because the screw isn't holding it on, and with the part removed, you should see a few MM of screw shank sticking up. Grab that with some Vise Grips and turn that out. Obviously you now need to replace that screw.

Another option for a stripped head, is to cut a slot into the screw head with a Dremel or other such tool. Now, you an fit the flat tip of a screwdriver into that slot, and turn the screw out.

If the threads are stripped, then the screw hole needs to be drilled out with a slightly larger bit (e.g.: 3mm screw = 4mm bit), then run a fresh 4mm screw into that hole.

Good luck. Stripped screws are the bane of every mechanic, as they turn a 5 minute job into a 25 minute job.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Oh damn, I just re-read the title and noticed that it's a set-screw, so no head on that thing. That sucks!

In such a case, if you can't somehow cut a slot for a flat tip into that set screw, then you have to disassemble what you can, and whatever parts you can't disassemble because of that set screw, you have to buy new parts and a new set screw.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:06 AM   #5
RCC Addict

If it's the hex that is stripped could you drill out the threaded part. 2.5mm is the tapping size for M3. Maybe strip the trans down and hold the shaft in a vice, then it would be easier to work on. I don't know what tools or skill you have obviously but hope it helps. The screw pin looks similar to the Axial ones. AXA0175. It might be possible to get the HPI ones, but I forget the part no.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:10 AM   #6
RCC Addict

HPI part is 1166842. I think.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I had a couple rough ones in a used vehicle I got with mip driveshafts. The key thing is proper tools. I had duratrax tools as my first kit. Worked great for the first few times. Those kits are junk. Toss them out. Wouldn't last a whole kit build. Next I bought duratrax as I've seen good reviews even on here. Same junk, stripped out my 1.5 on the mips. Then I tried 2 new L shaped Allen wrenches i had from my mechanics tools, still couldn't get them. So I bought the mip hand drivers. Not cheap, but well worth it. It got them out for me. I also used my soldering iron for heat, even the first time I tried. So my point is, use quality tools and you will have a much less of a chance of having issues like this.
On another note, I have tiny easyouts. I'm an electrician so I work with small screws. I think I bought them at an electrical supply store. But having used them, no way they would take a set screw out that's torqued in tight. They do work for a stripped screw in plastic, like a cage screw in a bomber.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote

Stripped set screw on trans - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need some help (stripped set screw) Tom95YJ Axial SCX-10 11 12-31-2013 10:27 PM
stripped set screw rc2008 Tools, and Procedures 5 04-01-2012 03:44 PM
Set screw stripped RCTRUX Axial SCX-10 12 04-28-2011 08:57 PM
Stripped set-screw Brandon13 Newbie General 17 01-25-2009 05:46 PM