Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > HPI Venture

Notices

Thread: WYD's Venture build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2019, 06:51 PM   #1
wyd
Rock Crawler

Default WYD's Venture build.

Well I been looking at the HPI Venture for about a year or more and since my local shop had one sitting around I actually pulled the trigger on one. Maiden voyage will be Sunday morning. So far the only things I have done is put in a Castle Mamba Micro X esc and I didn't have a Castle Slate lmotor like I run in my other two crawlers but I found a 17.5 I had and ended up putting it in. After setting every thing up I tried it on 2s and 3s and will try the 3s setup. Was actually really surprised on how smooth it felt (I love the Castle Micro X and have the exact same esc settings on all 3 of my trucks and couldn't be happier). Will be changing out the servo to a Savox 1283 again like my other two crawlers use and then will be using mostly STRC aluminum and brass parts in the upcoming weeks. Will be adding either RC4wd or HPI universal axles. Cant wait to see how it turns out over the upcoming weeks and months.

Like my Ascender build and some other crawlers from many years back I will be using as many of you know STRC aluminum and brass upgrade parts on my new Venture along with Castle Creations ESC's and motors. For some of the other upgrades will be using Savox for my servo, SSD and Proline wheels, a few different combination of tires and then a battery relocation setup (not sure which one so if anyone has any they recommend feel free to post or for any other upgrades as I like to see and read what everyone has done)

wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
wyd
Rock Crawler

Default Re: WYD's Venture build.

I'm a little late to the Venture party but really glad I ended up finally buying one. Today I took the Venture out on it's maiden voyage. Castle Creations Micro X esc, Revetech 17.5 brushless with a 3s 3200 lipo. We did a loop at a place I have had my Ascender and Coyote out at several times. The main thing about today was everything was damp and slippery but the Venture still very well considering the conditions. I couldn't believe how well it did and how the lipo help up after almost 4 hours of running pack was still at 11.6 volts. The 17.5 with the Castle Micro X was super efficient.

After running the first changes will be a better servo and universals front drive shafts. The servo was fine when I was moving and my overall steering wasn't too bad overall although it's less than my Ascender and roughly close to my Carisma Coyote. Didn't break my drive shafts at all as me and my buddies where on the throttle fairly hard in the wet conditions trying to make it up some step rock climbs. REally like the stock shocks as they really worked well all day long. The stock battery tray I will leave for now as my 3s 3200 lipo is light weight so moving it forward really isn't going to change anything so I will spend that money elsewhere. After the very first run I'm super happy with the Venture and look forward to running again soon and adding new improvements to make it even better.

HPI playing with others.

Starting to catch some air on this one.

Last edited by wyd; 06-30-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:36 PM   #3
wyd
Rock Crawler

Two short videos of my new Venture from today. The rocks where very slippery from the heavy rainfall the night before.
Catching a little air
https://www.facebook.com/photographe...232430084/?t=1
LIttle drifting on the rocks.
https://www.facebook.com/photographe...125763228/?t=2
Old 07-01-2019, 10:00 AM   #4
wyd
Rock Crawler

Just ordered the RC4WD universals for the Venture. Soon as they come in I will get some pics posted. I used universals over the years in many of my touring cars and off road cars with little to no problems so I expect these to work out just fine. I'm normally pretty easy on my equipment and won't be spinning and grinding my wheels with my 3s lipo setup. Should be a nice upgrade for my Venture and will have spare dog bones to keep along in case I break on the trails.

Little update. I didn't think it would happen so soon but I just installed a new Savox 1210SG servo and new aluminum servo horn. Was a very easy installs and only took about 15 minutes total. Nice to have a servo that has some power (444oz at 7.4volts) so when I go trialing this Friday it will be like driving a new Venture. Can't wait to try it out on the trails.

One thing I know I won't upgrade is the shocks. Out of the Ascender and Coyote I have the HPI Venture shocks are easily the best of the trucks I own. Not sure if anyone makes a stock shock setup that's any better and they the two stage springs are a nice tough. Truck worked great with the spring and oil combo that came stock from the HPI.

Last edited by wyd; 07-02-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
wyd
Rock Crawler

Today i took my Venture out for it's 2nd trail run since I bought it. The new Savox servo worked great and was a really nice improvement and worth the money. For today other than the new servo I did add a little more weight to the front of my truck along with the trails not being wet like last week. I learned for sure that for me the rear bumper must go and soon as I got home I removed it. Did a quick test and it's 100% better without it on. Overall it was a great day. Did a drop off jump at the end of the day off a picnic table which was awesome (maybe not the use for this truck but it did it easily, landed great and drove right away. Overall very impressed with the build quality of this truck

https://www.facebook.com/photographe...268174947/?t=0
Slow motion drop off jump.
https://www.facebook.com/photographe...208174853/?t=9

Last edited by wyd; 07-06-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:32 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Loooking gooood!1. I haven't been out much due to illness, but hoping to get a run next week.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #7
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
Loooking gooood!1. I haven't been out much due to illness, but hoping to get a run next week.
Hope you feel better. Getting out will hopefully help you feel better quicker.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #8
wyd
Rock Crawler

I just took a little off the end of the new XVD's with my Dremel. Ok so today I took my Venture out for almost 4 hours today on 95% rocks and rock hill climbs. I'm running 3s lipo with a Revtech 17.5 motor with 5 degrees of timing so I have plenty of power and some to spare.�� Well I was pretty hard on my truck climbing and spooling up my Hyrax tires and have to say I had zero issues all day with my new RC4wd XVD's. I have nothing bad to say after running them. They are a lot thicker than the stock dog bone setups.

I started off the day with some gold compound VooDoo KLR X4's and they where working pretty decent. I also brought along my Coyote Carisma which has Predator compound Hyrax tires on it. After doing some of the same lines with both trucks my Carisma just was doing better overall on the rocks and steep rock hills. I then took the tires off my Coyote and put the Hyrax on my Venture and wow it was amazing the rest of the day. Just a tire change really brought my Venture up to the next level. I think the VooDoo KLR's could be better if I had the Red compound but I think I will run the Hyrax tires anytime it's dry out as they really work well when it's dry.

Here's my Venture with the VooDoo KLR X4 tires. I like the way they look don't work as good as the Hyrax, May red KLR's would be more equal.

Last edited by wyd; 07-07-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I like it, the Venture kinda flies under the radar a bit. Seems like a great truck!

Where were you wheeling in the pics above if you don't mind me asking? Looks familiar
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #10
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I like it, the Venture kinda flies under the radar a bit. Seems like a great truck!

Where were you wheeling in the pics above if you don't mind me asking? Looks familiar
It is a fun truck. It's just different than my Coyote and Ascender. I like all of them but they all do things a little differently.

The last two pictures are from Sam Lewis State Park in the Wrightsville/Columbia area. The other pics are from either Mt. Grenta or at the Pump Station Rd area on Rt.322 that guys go to. Sam Lewis is fun on all the the rocks but it's hard on the bodies when you filp them and they take a tumble. Mt Gretna and Pump Station Rd areas to crawl are easier on the bodies as they are a combination of dirt trails with some rock climbing and roots to go over.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Hope you feel better. Getting out will hopefully help you feel better quicker.
x2

Looks like you had fun! Hopefully the RC4WD XVDs hold up, thicker metal is not necessarily stronger as you know, looking forward to more updates and pics!

Last edited by Natedog; 11-22-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #12
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
x2

Looks like you had fun! Hopefully the RC4WD XVDs hold up, thicker metal is not necessarily stronger as you know, looking forward to more updates and pics!
Thanks Natedog. I hope they hold up to. On vacation coming up this weekend so will be about a week or so til I get to take it out again and get some more pics but I will post them up. Been a fun truck so far. I swear this thing sounds like a AE TC3/TC4 shaft drive touring car as it just has that sound when I spool it up with my 17.5 on 3s. It sounds so much different from my Carisma Coyote and my Ascender.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #13
wyd
Rock Crawler

Didn't expect to get anything new added to my Venture this week since I'm going on vacation for the first time in 5 years but my local shop got in the STRC Machined aluminum servo saver arm so I new I was going to stop at the shop today so I picked up the part.

Replacing the old plastic one was simple to take off but the servo saver nut was on super tight but I did get it off and install the new killer STRC aluminum servo arm and installed it on my Venture. I did change out the stock servo horn when I put in my new Savox servo in but the aluminum servo horn I used sat low so it wasn't ideal. Put the stock setup on but replaced the plastic servo saver setup with the STRC upgrade aluminum setup and notice right away along with my RC4wd swing shafts I have more steering throw which is a great thing.

One thing I noticed when I took the servo horn and could move the tires left and right that the little bind I had with the RC4wd swing shafts being a touch long (I did sand the ends lightly and it was a little better) has really smoothed out after running it this weekend so I really didn't expect that but really happy to see that is basically worked itself in. Can't wait to take it out on the trails again but I can already tell that this was totally worth the few bucks I spent for this upgrade.

Last edited by wyd; 07-10-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:15 AM   #14
wyd
Rock Crawler

Trying out new image hosting site since Tinypics shut down. Lets see how this works out.

Testing the Pit Bull Rock Beast XL's on my Venture. Normally run them on my Ascender but decided to change it up some.

Last edited by wyd; 09-03-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Very nice sir!!
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #16
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
Very nice sir!!
Thank you. Work in progress like most. Eventually will have some STRC and SSD parts.

WYD's Venture build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Venture build by this newb odomandr HPI Venture 35 02-10-2021 01:21 PM
Rotn’s venture.........first build and posts in 8 years RotnWays 1.9 Scale Rigs 38 06-18-2019 08:45 AM
My budget build Venture flat6extreme HPI Venture 7 01-31-2019 04:19 PM
WYD's AX10 build wyd Axial AX10 2nd-gen 15 02-01-2016 08:10 AM
WYD's STRC SCX10 Jeep Wrangler build wyd Axial SCX-10 57 01-28-2016 09:48 AM