Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > HPI Venture

Notices

Thread: Critical Spares?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2019, 04:55 PM   #1

Default Critical Spares?

So I was over on Amain hobbies website and saw that they have their HPI Venture parts on clearance. This makes me think that perhaps Amain won't be stocking HPI products in the near future. As a Venture owner who really likes his truck, I was thinking I probably ought to stock up on some spare parts. Who knows - in 5 years' time we may not be able to get anything anywhere.

So what would you load up on? I'm thinking at least C hubs and knuckles, Flange Bushings for knuckles (should you lose one by ripping apart C hubs or knuckles somehow), maybe 1.5 x11mm pins (used in various places, not least of which the axles and transmission) and maybe transmission/transfer case gears. Lockers?

I don't run it real hard, and in fact have kept it bone stock save the ESC (HW 1080WP) and steering servo. I've yet to break anything on it but I'm trying to think long term ownership here. Maybe I'll want to preserve it for future generations, I don't know. As one who only sporadically buys RC stuff, I want to keep it running as long as possible.

Thoughts? Am I silly for thinking this way?
smokinapankake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Critical Spares?

Or a bad idea at all to keep spares on hand. I went brass on the knuckles and hubs but kept the stock plastics “just in case”. The builders kit was just restocked at RPP Hobby so that seems to me like they are/will be in production for a while.

I keep my eyes on eBay as well in case a cheap used rig pops up. Parts truck to keep on the shelf “just in case”. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jason02ws6; 10-29-2019 at 05:01 PM.
jason02ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:11 PM   #3

Default Re: Critical Spares?

Good point. I was just thinking what with the uncertainty surrounding HPI, it might not be a bad idea to have some stuff "just in case". Because once HPI drops it, or drops off the face of the earth (unlikely in both scenarios), aftermarket support will surely dry up as well....

Just thinkin' out loud here
Old 10-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've grown fond of mine as well in the last 8 months. Converting to Ascender CVD's was a must for me. Other than that, and the front upper link pivot getting sloppy, it's been extremely reliable. I found good deals on ebay rtr takeapart stuff. So I got a complete spare axle and trans because those were the unique parts. Otherwise maybe just knuckles/c-hubs and that proprietary spur gear.

I thought the transfer case gears were plenty rugid, and better sealed than the trans, so I forgo stocking them. The stock lockers impressed me. I suspect the stock shafts are softer than the lockers and would wear first.

Of course I stocked up on spares and haven't needed any of them. I've only worn out the pan hard rod ends and the axle pinion bearings. Pretty minor wear and tear considering the hours and level of abuse it's been through.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:42 PM   #5

Please familiarize me with the Ascender CVD conversion... As I understand it, you have to alter the flats that insert into the diff locker, correct? Or do you alter the diff locker to fit the flats? I think length is a small issue as well...

Thats good advice, I don't want to spend a ton of money on spares I'll never use. I may only go out with it once a month or so, mostly trailing and I like to avoid the mess that water creates so it's pretty sheltered I guess...
Old 10-29-2019, 07:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The ascender CVD conversion requires the inside of the c-hubs be clearanced due to the larger diameter of the cvd. The flats on the ascender cvd must be ground down slightly. Then just need some shizms between the hex drive pin and the outer wheel bearing. Just order the ascender cvd and some 5mm ID shims. Once you see the ascender cvd next to the hpi it will be very clear what will need to happen to make them fit.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
The ascender CVD conversion requires the inside of the c-hubs be clearanced due to the larger diameter of the cvd. The flats on the ascender cvd must be ground down slightly. Then just need some shizms between the hex drive pin and the outer wheel bearing. Just order the ascender cvd and some 5mm ID shims. Once you see the ascender cvd next to the hpi it will be very clear what will need to happen to make them fit.

Is there a reason to do this over the HPI CVDs?

Old 11-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I believe the Ascender cvds are stronger and wear better. I have a first batch ascender and it took years to break the stock cvds. It took me weeks to break the HPI cvds. The Ascender cvd is a little larger in diameter where the HPI units broke.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I believe the Ascender cvds are stronger and wear better. I have a first batch ascender and it took years to break the stock cvds. It took me weeks to break the HPI cvds. The Ascender cvd is a little larger in diameter where the HPI units broke.

Good to know. Thanks for the info. I bought the HPI CVDs a while back but haven’t had a ton of time on them yet.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:18 AM   #10

Amain hobbies Black Friday flash sale has the RTR version at 279.99. Dang I wish I’d waited!

Critical Spares? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Activist critical of police undergoes use of force scenarios BUBBA069 Chit Chat 1 01-09-2015 12:57 PM