Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > HPI Venture

Notices

Thread: A Simple AdVenture

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default A Simple AdVenture

I picked up a Venture from one of the members here and wanted to change it up a bit. It already had a few mods done to it like a relocated battery tray, metal links, and STRC lockouts on the rear axle. The body was already cut to fit bigger tires.

Kinda stock:

I added a HH TrailMaster Sport 550 27T motor and a Savox 1230 servo. The rest of the electronics are stock.

Then I changed out the body, wheels, and tires. Proline 4runner body, SSD steel beadlocks, and Proline 4.3 Super Swampers.

I'm not going to do an interior. I still need to pick up some window tint spray, so you can't see through the body.

I haven't decided if I'm going to run a front bumper or not. I probably will, but I need to find one that will actually fit the Venture.

Thanks for looking!
Up'n'Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: A Simple AdVenture

Nice work. I like the Subaru as well. Had one of theose years ago.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks for posting it. As much As I love the FJ body, the 4Runner looks good, and you painted/stickered it well.

If you decide to get rid of the FJ body let me know, but if I were you I'd hang on to it. I wouldn't trust that HPI will be delivering on their promise of spare parts being made.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looks like a good body/wheel setup for that platform. I've posted a couple of separate threads for potential bodies I contemplated mounting on my Venture, but haven't followed through, because I continue to think about selling it.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
Looks like a good body/wheel setup for that platform. I've posted a couple of separate threads for potential bodies I contemplated mounting on my Venture, but haven't followed through, because I continue to think about selling it.

I really like the truck, they got a lot of things right when they put this out. I hope that HPI gets sorted and starts things back up, because I'd hate for the Venture to just be a one hit wonder.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
Thanks for posting it. As much As I love the FJ body, the 4Runner looks good, and you painted/stickered it well.

If you decide to get rid of the FJ body let me know, but if I were you I'd hang on to it. I wouldn't trust that HPI will be delivering on their promise of spare parts being made.

Yeah, I really like how the metallic green turned out. I read that painting on the outside with tamiya paint makes it less glossy, but that didn't turn out to be the case. The hood came out just as glossy as the rest of the truck.

Not sure I'll keep the stock FJ body. Spare parts or not, I have never been a fan of the FJ, so it will probably still get sold.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up'n'Over View Post
Yeah, I really like how the metallic green turned out. I read that painting on the outside with tamiya paint makes it less glossy, but that didn't turn out to be the case. The hood came out just as glossy as the rest of the truck.

Not sure I'll keep the stock FJ body. Spare parts or not, I have never been a fan of the FJ, so it will probably still get sold.
I believe the black was also painted inside before the green. You don't paint a polycarbonate/lexan body from the outside where the paint could be easily scraped during action when it scratches thru hard edges/rocks.
Nicadraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I read that painting on the outside with tamiya paint makes it less glossy, but that didn't turn out to be the case. The hood came out just as glossy as the rest of the truck.

Painting the outside does make for a more matte finish but it depends on how thick of a final coat you do. A light coat will be more matte while a heavy coat will give more of a glossy look.

That body and tire combo looks good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicadraus View Post
You don't paint a polycarbonate/lexan body from the outside where the paint could be easily scraped during action when it scratches thru hard edges/rocks.
I do and I've been surprised at how durable it is. In my experience paint on the outside holds up a little better on lexan than a hardbody.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 09-14-2019 at 04:08 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I have no plans on adding an interior, but I didn't like how I could see the inside of the truck, so I just tinted the windows with some Tamiya smoke.

Next is installing the front bumper mount adapter that lets me mount 43mm bumpers.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Got some new shoes to try out. For $19 shipped, I had to see if they were any good. I was pleasantly surprised with how they performed.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:12 AM   #11

I was just curious where you got that battery tray.
letrbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:54 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by letrbuk View Post
I was just curious where you got that battery tray.

I bought it from a member here and it came with the tray, so I couldn't tell you where it's from. Sorry.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:55 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I picked up a Venture from one of the members here and wanted to change it up a bit. It already had a few mods done to it like a relocated battery tray, metal links, and STRC lockouts on the rear axle. The body was already cut to fit bigger tires.

Kinda stock:

Thanks for looking!
Hey I recognize that truck

How do you like the little Wally World battery powered driver. I have the same one and had worked great for me.
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetfuzz17 View Post
Hey I recognize that truck

How do you like the little Wally World battery powered driver. I have the same one and had worked great for me.

It does what I need it to and the charge lasts quite a while. Hard to beat for the price.

A Simple AdVenture - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
.......The simple YJ cmyers1 1.9 Scale Rigs 51 01-27-2016 02:58 PM
Montana Scale Adventure Club Adventure Series montana.matt Montana 9 03-17-2010 09:22 AM
Simple jack Marpek Scale Accessories 9 11-27-2009 09:20 AM