Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > HPI Venture

Notices

Thread: Servo arm/horn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Servo arm/horn

On my Venture SBK I installed a DS3218 servo and they come with an aluminum servo horn, however it's too long and hits the frame rail, I have a plastic one that I tried and it's too short and hit's the panhard bar. So what have you guys used that works just right? The Vanquish servo horns have their measurements and from I can gather the 20mm would work, they are measured from center to center of the holes, however on RPP none of the other servo horns have measurements and the Vanquish 20mm is sold out.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Servo arm/horn

I put some shims under the front of my servo to lower it 3mm and I also put a piece of tube on the screw that goes into the panhard to make the head further out again about 3mm as my steering was hitting it on full throw.

Last edited by crazee horse; 05-03-2020 at 04:42 PM.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have the same servo in mine. I used some 10-32 nuts as spacers to lower the servo. I used a cheap chinese aluminum servo arm and filed it down to clear everything.

Last edited by GA Dawg; 05-04-2020 at 08:28 AM.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

And I used rod end eyes as spacers to lower my servo after removing the servo saver.

The servo horn I ended up using is an Axial aluminum servo horn (part #AX30836). It just barely clears the chassis rail.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks guys I think it may be a combo of lowering the servo and a shorter servo horn,
Old 05-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Shorten the horn and you won't get the throw. I moved my pan hard ball joint back a little jusy by adding spacers. Made a massive difference. Good luck.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:10 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
Shorten the horn and you won't get the throw. I moved my pan hard ball joint back a little jusy by adding spacers. Made a massive difference. Good luck.
Thanks for the tips. I'll get it figured out lol, I ordered an SSD servo horn that has the same dimensions as the servo saver length. Will probably still have to lower the servo a bit but should give me the same throw.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2020, 07:52 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

It is imperative that you lower the servo to compensate for the difference in height between the stock joke of a servo saver and most aluminum horns. The amount to space down even varies slightly between brands of servos. The goal is to get the steering drag link and the panhard bar to remain parallel as the suspension travels. I'm running an Axial horn with a Promodeler 470 and 3mm with of spacers to make it all happy. I also had to fiddle with the drag link length a bit to get full right steering lock just as the horn contacts the panhard mount.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:55 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
It is imperative that you lower the servo to compensate for the difference in height between the stock joke of a servo saver and most aluminum horns. The amount to space down even varies slightly between brands of servos. The goal is to get the steering drag link and the panhard bar to remain parallel as the suspension travels. I'm running an Axial horn with a Promodeler 470 and 3mm with of spacers to make it all happy. I also had to fiddle with the drag link length a bit to get full right steering lock just as the horn contacts the panhard mount.
Thanks for the great info, I was hoping to avoid adding spacers but I don't think that's going to happen, I have a SSD 25t servo horn arriving today so I'll be getting started.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
RCC Addict

UPDATE

The SSD 25t servo horn works perfect, I put a 4mm spacer between servo horn and drag link to keep it parallel with panhard bar and it's perfect, get full swing in both directions.

Servo arm/horn - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
servo horn saver/arm for txt1/2 Spiff Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 2 01-25-2016 03:11 AM
strongest servo arm/horn Kratos Electronics 14 06-02-2010 08:43 PM
NEW Robitronic Servo Horn / Arm RobiUSA-James Electronics 0 10-20-2009 05:26 PM
Robitronics servo arm / horn? CoolRC Electronics 2 08-25-2009 07:47 AM