Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > HPI Venture

Notices

Thread: Buying an sbk now

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2021, 08:51 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Buying an sbk now

Hey everyone, does buying an sbk right now make sense? Are there parts available if I eventually break something or want to upgrade or has this platform been forgotten? I'd rather get this over an scx10 raw builders kit, but the parts availability has me worried.
theone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2021, 09:47 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Buying an sbk now

I won't lie, parts availability is a concern. But HPI seems to be continuing to rebuild their brand (albeit very slowly and with more than one stumble in the last few years) so I'm still optimistic the situation will improve but there's definitely no guarantee.

My Venture is hands down, without question my favourite rig in my fleet. Out of my 10.2 (it's been sold now), my Bom or anything else is or ever has been in my stable, the Venture gets more wheel time without question.

This might seem excessive to some but I actually bought an extra SBK to keep around for parts, realistically the cost of an SBK is really good value as compared to buying trans gears, t-case gears, axle gears, axle housings, trans cases, etc, etc, etc. But in over 3 years (I got my first Venture on release day) I've used/needed exactly zero parts from that kit, I've actually sold a few things (namely axle tubes, cvd's and alum links) from it to recoup some funds.

I did break an HPI CVD once but that was a stupid mistake that led to a massive cliff fall. Regardless, I recommend upgrading to the RC4WD universals anyways. They're stronger and turn a bit better.

If you upgrade to aluminum hubs & knuckles the Venture is an impressively durable rig. The trans and t-case are well designed/built, the diff gears seems to mesh really nicely and the axles shafts have never given me any issues. I don't drive gently (Homes brushless/3S/35kg servo) and the only parts I've actually broken on my Venture are rod ends which are pretty much universally replaceable.

There is minimal aftermarket support for Venture, but beyond hubs/Knuckles forward battery mount and metal links I don't see that much is required.
(If you buy one, pm me and I'll hook you with files to print a good battery tray)

I feel like my post has been a bit rambling but to briefly summarize - RC4WD Universals are good, aluminum hubs/knuckles are available and I don't think there's any other proprietary parts that are required to upgrade (I'm not mentioning metal links because imo those are effectively universal).
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:34 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The SBK specifically still has some compelling reasons to buy it over the other builders kits. It has a divorced transfer case, no portals, axle tube weights plus lots of metal axle components that would be option parts for other trucks.

The big downside is the lack of aftermarket support. You most likely won't break any of the factory components, but if you want things like overdrive gears and brass hubs you are going to be out of luck.

Probably the biggest issue right off the bat for the SBK is that it doesn't come with bumpers and SCX10 style bumpers are not guaranteed to fit.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Basicbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:56 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I too am concerned about long term parts availability for my Venture. That said in two years of wicked use and abuse, half of it with a Puller Pro testing the drivetrain, I've only broken the cvd's and a knuckle, and chipped a ring gear. I've worn out some rod ends, and gently curved the lower links, but overall it's been impressively bomb proof.

I recently won an indoor comp series against 20 other drivers running everything from VS4's to Trx4s, to complete high money custom builds. So the Venture is plenty capable and a worthwhile addition to the fleet IMO.

I'm certain the SBK Venture is the better value over the scx.2 sbk. But nobody beats axial for parts availability and upgrade avenues.

All I've really done to mine is aluminum c-hubs, clearanced for Ascender cvds, put a rear upper link mount on the front axle with a proper upper link to rid it of the side loaded pivot ball, and gear down to a 14t pinion. Some fatter motors will only allow a 15 to fit.

My only legitimate complaint with the platform is lack of gear reduction, which is what led me to the Puller Pro as it has no issue creeping along despite the somewhat tall gearing.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the insights. I think I'll go for it, it'll be something different and I'm not really that hard on my rigs so I'm probably worried about nothing.
theone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:58 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

If you haven't already ordered I would highly recommend Hobby Recreation Products if you live in the US. They will take $15 off and give you free shipping.

https://www.hobbyrecreationproducts....55-venture-sbk

Old 03-26-2021, 10:14 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basicbilly View Post
If you haven't already ordered I would highly recommend Hobby Recreation Products if you live in the US. They will take $15 off and give you free shipping.

https://www.hobbyrecreationproducts....55-venture-sbk

On sale for $200!? That's a crazy good price, I might have to order another spare one for parts!
Old 03-26-2021, 10:40 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

On black Friday they do 20% off. I have picked 2 if them up over the years for $159 each.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:28 PM   #9

New guy to the forums here - as well as pretty new to the world of crawling. After watching a bunch of videos and reading through the forums here and waffling between some of the kits, I decided to give the Venture a chance - especially with the discount mentioned above from HRP.

Got the kit in and built up and put some basic electronics in it (generic 25 kg servo, Firma 40 receiver/ESC and a Holmes Hobbies 13T Crawlmaster Sport. The kit went together pretty smoothly - although the e-clips on the shock pistons were annoying (guess I'm used to the big 1/8 Arrma/Tekno shocks).

I'm enjoying the new experiences in crawling and so far it seems like the Venture SBK gives a lot of bang for the buck.
BigWonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:31 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWonton View Post
New guy to the forums here - as well as pretty new to the world of crawling. After watching a bunch of videos and reading through the forums here and waffling between some of the kits, I decided to give the Venture a chance - especially with the discount mentioned above from HRP.

Got the kit in and built up and put some basic electronics in it (generic 25 kg servo, Firma 40 receiver/ESC and a Holmes Hobbies 13T Crawlmaster Sport. The kit went together pretty smoothly - although the e-clips on the shock pistons were annoying (guess I'm used to the big 1/8 Arrma/Tekno shocks).

I'm enjoying the new experiences in crawling and so far it seems like the Venture SBK gives a lot of bang for the buck.
Excellent feedback and I'm glad to hear of another person enjoying the Venture - I love mine.

You should start yourself a build thread, it's a great way to keep track of how your rig progresses over time..

Buying an sbk now - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what bumpers are you using with the SBK kit? charlesd HPI Venture 4 07-11-2020 11:24 AM
Carpetfuzz's Venture SBK carpetfuzz17 HPI Venture 42 04-10-2019 01:32 AM
New SBK owner Toothless9 HPI Venture 11 04-06-2019 02:56 PM
Buying RTR vs Buying Parts Tonelock Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 10-03-2008 07:09 PM