Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Chassis Flip Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation Chassis Flip Guide

So this guide should help a lot but its kinda wack cuz i didnt take pics while i was actualy flipping the servo upsidedown. but i think it will still help. first things first, turn everything off. look at ur wires going to your motor from ur esc. look at the quick disconnects. stock its red to peach, and black to blue.

pull the quick disconects apart and plug them back in oppisote. red to blue, and black to peach.

then unhook all your links, shocks, and pull the axels off. dont forget to pull out the 4-40 all thread thats in your V upper link.

it should look like this now

dont forget to keep your parts seperate so you know which is front and which is back. ( links, 4-40 allthread that goes in the v link, and spacer for that v link.) mine is longer in the back so it matters for me. 60-40.

now unplug your wires going into your receiver. remember which one goes where tho. i took a picture first.

now you need to unscrew your servo mount. (this is where it gets hard cuz i didnt take pics.. i have finish results tho you should get it with my explaination.)

the servo is mounted inside of the servo mount. the servo mount is mounted to your chassis. the receiver sits ontop of the servo mount. unscrew the servo mount and pull it out of the chassis. i removed the shock mount for this to make it easyer. once you have the servo mount out with the servo still inside and the reciever ontop, you have to cut the receiver off of the top. i used a razor to cuz it, then twisted it off. just take the servo mount with the servo inside of it and flip it over so its upside down and the steering modual is on the correct side. in order for it to be pointing up, you have to unscrew the steering unit that attaches to the servo. pull it off and flip it upsidedown. if you place it in the correct way it shouldnt hit the shock mount or anything like that. i used the steering trim a little to make it an exact fit. i forgot you have to unscrew one side of the chassis and get out all the steering links, then screw that side back on. then unscrew the other side of the chassis ( the side you want the steering on ) and place it in just like the other side. then screw the chassis back together. the link will attack to your servo, then i used a jbstick to attactch my receiver onto the steering servo. i hope this helps.. sorry it kinda sucks i shoulda kept taking pics. heres a bunch of different angles of the finished job though. good luck im here if you need any answers. ( or add to my guide ) ~~Phase.

phase10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Cool write up.

If I remember correctly you can also flip your axels so you dont have to run the motor in reverse. Not that its a huge deal, Im just sorta OCD
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

agreed, cool write up. If you're going for the scale look, this is an easy way to do it. However, if you end up using an over-the-axle servo mount, most of this will be unnecessary. Just reverse the motor leads and switch the axle links, and you're good to go.
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I made a servo bracket for a more cleen look

and from the side you can see that thereŽs nothing hanging down under the frame

and IŽd flip the axels upside down too
insted of switching the wires
SnoopMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i tried doing that but when i did it mine wouldnt steer i did exactly what he said but i guess im screwed
crawler king 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler king 17 View Post
i tried doing that but when i did it mine wouldnt steer i did exactly what he said but i guess im screwed
what do you mean it wont steer? does your servo even turn? all your links are hooked up right?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

no the servo was working but it didnt steer it it was binding on the purple motor mount
crawler king 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Hey guys FLIP YOUR AXLES!!!! Your motors stock are wound to get better performance the way they come wired... Its very easy to go that route of just switching wires, but its just as easy to flip the axles around and do it right.
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler_king View Post
Hey guys FLIP YOUR AXLES!!!! Your motors stock are wound to get better performance the way they come wired... Its very easy to go that route of just switching wires, but its just as easy to flip the axles around and do it right.

what do you mean? i thought about doing that but when i flipped my axle my steering linkage was on the bottom of the axle instead of the top. would cut down a lot on the clearance. let me know thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase10 View Post
what do you mean? i thought about doing that but when i flipped my axle my steering linkage was on the bottom of the axle instead of the top. would cut down a lot on the clearance. let me know thanks
So you flip the steering linkage back to the top. The top and bottom housings are mirrors of each other, so all the mounts are on top and bottom.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
So you flip the steering linkage back to the top. The top and bottom housings are mirrors of each other, so all the mounts are on top and bottom.
so i put the steering linkage on the bottom, of the rear axle? right?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:26 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

So i did my flip and by flipping the axles over. the arm on the knuckles now aims down some vs standing out strait or up as it did in the stock location. Any solution for that or do i need to redrill the axle housing to get that back to normal or dont worry about it??
dragnz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

You only flip the AXLE HOUSING the "c" must stay in there respectiv potisions
"c2" front driver side "c1" front passenger side
top wiew
front
c2----c1

c1----c2
rear
Old 01-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopMaxx View Post
top wiew
front
c2----c1

c1----c2
rear
im prolly jsut a scrub but i have no idea what ur talking about.. imma just flip my shit back to normal and remount my battery under the front of the chassis with velco. since everyone says the battery running backwards is horrible.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase10 View Post
im prolly jsut a scrub but i have no idea what ur talking about.. imma just flip my shit back to normal and remount my battery under the front of the chassis with velco. since everyone says the battery running backwards is horrible.
I think what is being said is the knuckles once you take the rear axle and move it to the front and flip it the right and left knuckles need to say on the same side as it started out.
dragnz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #16

i get it, when you flip the axles then you reverse the rotation of the axle. that way you don't have to reverse the motor polarity.

Although if you want to be lazy you can just reverse the wires. Its only bad for the motor if your motor has its timing off 0 deg. but the stock and the integy motor are locked at 0 so it should be fine.
liquidgenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
i get it, when you flip the axles then you reverse the rotation of the axle. that way you don't have to reverse the motor polarity.

Although if you want to be lazy you can just reverse the wires. Its only bad for the motor if your motor has its timing off 0 deg. but the stock and the integy motor are locked at 0 so it should be fine.
Youre absolutly correct
Old 01-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopMaxx View Post
top wiew
front
c2----c1

c1----c2
rear

looking at this explanation, I compared it to the exploded view on the wheely king manual, and this is the stock configuration.... is this with your axles flipped?

I am on the flipping chassis stage of my conversion and I can now understand Phase10's problem. if you flip the axle then the stock upper link mount no longer fits due the the half circle cutout. You can cut the upper link mount to shape but I cannot do that due to the fact that my upper link mounts are aluminum. ideas?
Old 01-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #19

picture to help explain my and phase10's situation.

the axle on the left is the flipped axle with the c-hubs reversed... the axle on the right is the stock configuration. notice the shape of the upper link mount. it is keyed to go with the straight edge of the diff housing. how do you put the upper link mount onto the flipped axle without cutting the mount to shape?

Last edited by liquidgenesis; 01-26-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #20

Hi Guys

I`ve got to exactly this stage myself and have been left with the same
problem:-(

Has anyone sorted this problem or do i have to take a dremel to the link mount?

Cheers
Adrian
Aij29 is offline   Reply With Quote