Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: My WK evolved into this...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My WK evolved into this...

I decided to build a custom chassis for my Wheely King to get a more scaled look and more body clearance. This is what it evolved into eventually...

I made that chassis so that can be converted to use 1.9s and 2.2s...

I posted more of it in the 1.9s section, under "My Chevy K10".
Sasquatchbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

who says evolution doesn't exist? those guys are tards!

seriously though, I like it! Not much WK left, though!
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks...I kept all the WK stock parts carefully so when I feel like taking the ole King out one day I just have to swap it back...
Old 01-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Nice job. Any better pics with it on the Mud Thrashers?
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

That's the only pic I have with the mud thrashers for now...too caught up with finishing the body. With the WK tires it kinda reminds me of the old Clod Buster...which ironically was the one truck I wanted badly when I was in highschool!
Will post some pics of it with the mud thrashers when I can...
Old 01-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #6

where are the top links ? or am I missing something ?

lol

great job btw, love the chassis
Laurentides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentides View Post
where are the top links ? or am I missing something ?

lol

great job btw, love the chassis
They are there, just hard to see.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I stuck with the stock WK upperlinks. Hey SimpleGreen, guess what I was wrong. I was looking through the old pics and found a few more with the big Mud Thrashers on them...so here are some more pics...later I will try to get some pics with them big tires on the new body...
They are a little too close to the wheel wells, so the body would need to be jacked up...my lower links are really angled wide. So this causes the Mud Thrashers to rub on them when in full turn. I have to switch the links back inside when I run the 2.2s...

Old 01-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

That is really cool. I love that look. What is your wheelbase at?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

My Wheelbase is at 12"+-....I make minor adjustments by the upper links and if I want a big change I have to move my lower links. SimpleGreen are you gonna build your WK at 12" too?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchbagger View Post
My Wheelbase is at 12"+-....I make minor adjustments by the upper links and if I want a big change I have to move my lower links. SimpleGreen are you gonna build your WK at 12" too?
12"? So that must be the Maxx size K10 on it? Id like to build my truck to fit under that shell ideally. I have alot of fond memories with Chevrolets, both old and new.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

My Chevy is the long bed version which is for Revo 3.3 etc...its like 19" long. I think the Maxx one is shorter at 18"?
I also like the Pro-line Blazer but that one has a 11" wheelbase I think.
The Wheely King axles are really wide compared to some other scale builds...so my tires stick out the side quite a bit. I shaved off the little hub like thing from the WK 12mm hex so it would fit the Tamiya wheels better.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:11 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Nice. Im trying to decide how I want to do my chassis. I really like the high ground clearance yours has in the center, which will not really be possible with the WK chassis. I also like the using factory links. Im not building a comp crawler, so I like using the factory parts that flow well with the other items. Your truck almost has a modern era Clodbuster look going for it (when its on the HPI tires), but on a smaller scale, and I love that.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:23 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I really liked my stock WK but the belly clearance was what prompted me into making a chassis for it. So basically I hiked up the transmission(sacrificing Low COG) for high belly clearance. I could've clocked my transmission but not now...
With the WK tires on I can roll over logs etc without getting stuck.
Yeah it really reminds me of Clod Buster...I wanted that truck so bad!-But now I love my Wheely King.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I really liked my stock WK but the belly clearance was what prompted me into making a chassis for it. So basically I hiked up the transmission(sacrificing Low COG) for high belly clearance. I could've clocked my transmission but not now...
With the WK tires on I can roll over logs etc without getting stuck.
Yeah it really reminds me of Clod Buster...I wanted that truck so bad!-But now I love my Wheely King.
Hah, well good job. I might pickup some thin panel board at work tomorrow and work on some chassis mock ups and see what I come up with.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Hey good...keep us posted with your Wheely King.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:40 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Hey good...keep us posted with your Wheely King.
Either that or Im gonna get lazy and buy the R7R chassis, it has similar ground clearance without me having to mutilate some poor innocent piece of aluminum.

We shall see. Im getting paid Friday both with my check, and a friend paying back a loan, so that should motivate things nicely.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:46 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I can tell you though at times I felt like it was better to just buy a chassis that was profesionally made. But I also felt like this was my first truck so I wanna try my hands on it.
My aluminum was around only like $12. The aluminum is cheap but it takes time to do it. Especially with me with no anykind of special saw. I used a tiny coping saw and that took forever.
Then I filed the edges. It would be so much easier if I had a band saw...I could have made 5 more chassis for the time I took lol.
R7R chassis is really cool looking. You should check out Rippers build...he built a cool bronco for his daughter...do search...it had that cool chassis on it.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:57 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I can tell you though at times I felt like it was better to just buy a chassis that was profesionally made. But I also felt like this was my first truck so I wanna try my hands on it.
My aluminum was around only like $12. The aluminum is cheap but it takes time to do it. Especially with me with no anykind of special saw. I used a tiny coping saw and that took forever.
Then I filed the edges. It would be so much easier if I had a band saw...I could have made 5 more chassis for the time I took lol.
R7R chassis is really cool looking. You should check out Rippers build...he built a cool bronco for his daughter...do search...it had that cool chassis on it.

Way ahead of you, lol. I have the Skulley - Bronco build saved in My Favorites list.

I think I might save my building skill for my first 'love'. My electric Stampede. It was my first RC truck. I bought some brand new WK wheels/tires for it from a fellow on Scale 4x4 (they look great on the Pede) and then Im considering stretching it to fit Maxx bodies...
Old 01-18-2008, 03:03 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Here are some pics with WK mud thrashers on them.