Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: wheely king stock servo saver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 05:59 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question wheely king stock servo saver?

does the stock servo have a servo saver on it? and if so wheres it located? and if i take it off ill get more torque from it?

-Henry
have fun crawling
crawler king 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

its on the servo.

if you put an arm on instead of a saver youn wouldnt get more torque, but better steering. when you have the saver on and try to crawl onto a rock the wheels wont turn untill you get off of the rock then the wheels will turn.if you had a servo arm it wouldnt do that.
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

mines got a arm but its stock completely
Old 01-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Theres no servo saver per se, but you do loose a great deal of force going through all of that stupid linkage. Mount your servo on top of the axle, and you'll notice a difference. The stock servo is also pretty weak, if you still want more power you'll need to get a stronger one. The only difference that a different arm will make is to change the leverage. If you put a shorter servo horn on, this will give the servo more effective power, but require more servo throw, which your servo may not be able to do (I don't know, the one that came in my wk is in a drawer somewhere collecting dust.)
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yes its connected directly to ther servo. bigblazerboy is correct.
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

The stock WK servo saver is garbage. BUT, so is the stock steering Servo. And if you put an apuminum servo arm on your stock WK steering servo, you're going to put hurt me on the steering servo very quickly.

My suggestion? Pick up a new Tower Pro servo for $15 from Run2Jeepn on this site. It comes with the arm, will go right in place of your stock servo, and you'll notice a TON of difference in the steering.

BTW, There is NOTHING wrong with the stock Wk steering set-up. Is there a lot of flex and slop in the stock plastic parts? yes. But, if you replace all the stock plastic pieces in the steering system with aluminum or steel stuff, all the slop goes away, and you have a very nicely working steering system that keeps the servo up out of the elements and out of sight.
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Ya the stock saver is crap. i broke the locking ring that locks the 2 discs together on the servo doing a wheely in my house and clipping the wall. i cant just buy a new ring i have to buy the complete linkage to get that little ring for 15 dollars. what exactly do servo savers do other than "save" the servo?
Quote:
its on the servo.

if you put an arm on instead of a saver youn wouldnt get more torque, but better steering. when you have the saver on and try to crawl onto a rock the wheels wont turn untill you get off of the rock then the wheels will turn.if you had a servo arm it wouldnt do that.
i dont really get that. sorry im a little bit of a newb.
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

if youn are crawling and tire pushes into a rock and you tryu to steer it wont untill you get over the rock or off of it.

thats the best i could explain it.
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

the servo saver keeps the servo from burning out, the stock servo is weak at best just get a better servo it will help steering and add a little more torque depending on the servo bought. there are some cheep ones im waiting on a hobico servo its cheep but 133 in./oz alot better than the stock plus with all the linkage in the stock config i would think you lose torque as well, find an over the axle mount and you will like it more than the stock position
frsttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:28 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

i did that i put it right on the axle
Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Default Re: wheely king stock servo saver?

I recomend getting a better servo i broke 2 locker rings in 1 day, so i used krazy glue to make it one complete peice and completely stripped the servo gears.
4wdbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote