Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Anyone using Great Planes ElectriFly T-600 motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 02:28 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Anyone using Great Planes ElectriFly T-600 motor?

Is anyone using the Great Planes Electrifly T-600 motor on the WK?
I am running everything stock right now and was wondering how would these compare to the integy lathe motors?
I want speed and torque...for bashing and crawling.
I was gonna order a integy 45T until I saw these T-600 motors...
Sasquatchbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

how many turns are they?
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

This particular one I am looking at states that its a 22T motor on the description. So it would be faster than the stock WK motor. But its a bigger motor with Ferrrite magnets so I don't know if its more torque or not. I am contemplating getting the 600 or the 45T lathe motor.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I am running one. It works great as far as I know. All I have to compare it with in the WK though is a Venom 540 19T. This DEFINITELY crawls better than the 19t, but I have never run anything higher so....

Maybe I can get a video later tonight. (of course, then everyone could see how poorly I drive...)
Maggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Cool please post a video if you could...does is crawl with more torque than the stock WK 27t?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Sorry I didn't get the video up last night. I'll try for tonight.

I don't know if it has more torque than the stocker. I bought it used and it came with the 19t venom. I would think it would though. I am still using the stock spur (90t) and either a 19 or 21 tooth pinion (I can't remember which). I can still get it to move pretty slow. I can basically inch it up a wall until it falls over backwards.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Hey Maggster did you get your t-600 from tower hobbies? I was wondering if the capacitor that comes with the motor is it already soldered to the motor leads or you had to do it yourself?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Yes I did get it from Tower, and yes I had to solder the capacitors.

I honestly tried to put the video up last night. I borrowed a camera, shot a short vid, (it turned out kind of crappy, but you'l get the idea) and then the wireless internet connection started having fits. I tried to load it about 4 times over about 45 min with no luck. I'll try again tonight.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Hey Maggster how much run time do you get on the T-600? I am using a GP3300mAh battery. I wonder if it shortens the run time or increase it since its a more efficient motor.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Lightbulb

If I am just crawling, I get a good half hour. If I am bashing, its less. I am using the 3300 packs that cheapbatterypacks.com had on sale for $20. You can't beat them for the price. Sometimes I use a 1500mah 11.1v lipo. The runtime isn't as long, but the extra power is nice.

Here are the vids. They turned out even worse than I thought, but hopefully they will give you an idea. This was T-600 motor, Proboat ESC (no brakes, instant reverse) 11.1v lipo, 90 tooth spur, 19 tooth pinion (if I counted right).

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...ent=T-6002.flv

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...ent=T-6001.flv
Old 01-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Hey Maggster thanks for the video. They're great. Does your dog bother your rc trucks? I am always afraid my neighbor's wolfdog would chomp on my truck lids. Thats quite a bit of torque. I just ordered the stuff from TowerHobbies as I had a $20 off $50 discount, what a great deal lol.
I got the Trinity no solder motor leads so I can swap motors easier.

About the capacitor does it matter which end its soldered to? Also do all motors have those capacitors soldered inside or something?

Oh almost forgot...did you lock your WK axles? I need to lock mine cause everytime it encounters some higher obstacles one wheel will just spin and spin.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:20 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

lol the dog barks at the Wheely King sometimes. When I run it in the house. The Stampede and Rustler though she will chase and grab at the tires. She has never hurt anything though. She isn't nearly as big as a wolfdog though, shes a Brittany.

I think the capacitor gets soldered between the motor leads. There are instructions that came with mine, it was pretty straight forward.

I didn't lock the axles, but I did put silicone ear plugs in them. It gives it good torque when one wheel is in the air, but still lets it turn OK. Its a compromise, just like most of my truck. I am going for more all around basher than all out crawler.

Good luck with your motor, if it works as good as mine you should be pretty pleased with it. I am sure it isn't as good as a Holmes Hobbies Cobalt or a JP Customs Warrior, but for the price I am happy. Its at least good enough for who its for (me)
Old 01-31-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I have been thinking of using some hot glue or putty in the differentials too...I might try your silicone ear plug method...could be removed when you want to right?
I am more of a basher too...
Old 02-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchbagger View Post
...could be removed when you want to right?
Yes it could. Pretty easily too. What I like about it is that the silicone is more of a lubricant so the gears should stay in pretty good shape.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Hey Maggster I just got some of those silicone ear putty, I got the clear version. Do you clean out the grease before putting them it? It says lubricants will destroy the silicone putty. Also could you tell me how you did yours-did you put one or two, and where in the differentials?
Thanks
Old 02-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchbagger View Post
Hey Maggster I just got some of those silicone ear putty, I got the clear version. Do you clean out the grease before putting them it? It says lubricants will destroy the silicone putty. Also could you tell me how you did yours-did you put one or two, and where in the differentials?
Thanks

Yes I did clean them pretty good. I pulled the diff off of the ring gear and washed all the spider gears and the diff case. I used one ear plug per diff.
I started by putting the spider gear in the bottom of the diff case and packing the case half full of silicone. Then I put the side gears in and packed in the rest of the ear plug. Then I put the ring gear back on. Some of the silicone squeezed out when I tightened the screws, but I just cleaned it up out of the ring gear and the axle holes with a toothpick. Its really pretty simple and works pretty good.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I finally got my T-600 motor. Didn't have a soldering iron so I just wrapped the capacitor wires and shriktubed it.
This motor is so much faster than the stock for sure...when I drive it fast and if I am not careful and hit the brakes too fast the WK will flip forward in a summersault. I am using stock WK gearing now...I did notice a metallic high pitch sound when I reverse, Maggster did yours do that?
I ran the motor for probably 15mins to break it in....
Old 02-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

The only noise mine makes is the usual motor squeal. You could try a little oil on the bushings. It only does it in reverse?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Yeah it just does it in reverse, like a high pitch squealing sound(almost like dragging chains on the floor). And my car keeps cutting off like I would drive for a while and it would just cut off. I would have to tap a couple of times and it would start again. I am not sure if this new motor is causing this I will have to check back with the older motor. Could it be the capacitor that I just wrapped instead of soldering? It says the capacitor reduces motor noise....
Old 02-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I doubt the capacitor is your problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check. How old is your WK? Any chance a bearing is bad? Are you still using the Jolt esc? That might be cutting out on you. Especially with stock gearing.