Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: I think it’s time to revive my 1st Wheely King!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2023, 12:35 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default I think it’s time to revive my 1st Wheely King!

It’s been sitting around for the last decade collecting dust and webs and allI need to do is solder up the Holmes 45t 550 Trailmaster, put a pinion gear on it, and drop a receiver and battery in it and it will be ready to crawl again!

Maybe tomorrow or Friday after work, I can get it going again as it shouldn’t take too long.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2023, 08:26 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I think it’s time to revive my 1st Wheely King!

It’s soldered up and the Rx is in it, but the ESC seems to cut back out right away. I have another XL5 in the Grave Robber Wheely King that I may swap into this then pull the 3 channel Spektrum Rx out of my brushless SCX24 and put a spare VXL into that and resurrect 2 Wheely Kings this weekend!

Old 04-08-2023, 04:45 AM   #3
MSB
Quarry Creeper

Glad I'm not the only one still using these things. I've been rocking two the last couple of years. 1 based on an scx frame and the other is a Grave Digger "crawler" for my son. I'm also digging your telluride, which I also have one set up to crawl.

I'm actually contemplating putting some LMT axles under the Grave Digger bodied WK mainly for sh*ts and giggles
MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 06:13 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Wow this brings back memories, this was my first rig, I bought one brand new, ran it for a while doing wheelies then converted it to a crawler and I now have going on a 100 rigs, really wish I'd never sold the ol Wheely King.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:32 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I still really like the trucks, mine have just been parked a while, but have a 2 for 1 resurrection this weekend, both Kings are rubbing again! Had ti temporarily disable my brushless SCX since it had the 3channel Rx I needed for the Grave Robber, but I’ll replace that with the cheaper 2 channel Rx later.

And click on the pic below to see the reason for the 3 channel Rx in the Grave Robber……..

Last edited by BJoe; 04-08-2023 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:40 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSB View Post
Glad I'm not the only one still using these things. I've been rocking two the last couple of years. 1 based on an scx frame and the other is a Grave Digger "crawler" for my son. I'm also digging your telluride, which I also have one set up to crawl.

I'm actually contemplating putting some LMT axles under the Grave Digger bodied WK mainly for sh*ts and giggles
Can’t remember where I put them, but I had a 3rd pair of axles that I though would make a great start for a “tundra truck” type build or a small period monster truck using leaves, SCX10 frame, Clod body, and now maybe the Bigfoot body from Traxxas and those 2.2” Rangers on Midwest wheels from JConcepts!
Old 04-08-2023, 09:23 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Happy with how it worked, was just a bit slow, probably need to put a bigger pinion on it, apparently a 14t pinion with a 90t+ is geared really, really short for a 2s LiPo

Last edited by BJoe; 04-08-2023 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:04 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I loved mine back in the day. I ran an 8.5 brushless motor and beat it mercilessly. Good times.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 06:01 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
I loved mine back in the day. I ran an 8.5 brushless motor and beat it mercilessly. Good times.
This one had seen a ton of use before I parked it, just drove it, modded, drove it more and just flex the daylights out of it when I’d run it. It was kinda nice getting this one going again!
Old 04-15-2023, 10:20 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

My daughter still has her crawler converted one. I found the crawler conversion kit ($26) way back when the WK went out of style. Still kicking around with a pink 79 F150 body, and a hello kitty sticker driving it.

Last edited by Gula; 04-15-2023 at 10:23 PM.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 11:54 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
My daughter still has her crawler converted one. I found the crawler conversion kit ($26) way back when the WK went out of style. Still kicking around with a pink 79 F150 body, and a hello kitty sticker driving it.
May need to do something for my Niece once she is old enough with one of these.

I think it’s time to revive my 1st Wheely King! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BW-JH Wheely King build, 1st Tuber. How to or advice? scorpiuon1 General Crawlers 3 06-19-2007 09:22 PM
RCP Crawlers HPI Wheely King Sale $184.99 Limited Time Get It Now! Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 6 05-07-2007 06:18 PM
crawling, 1st time driving, 1st time video ratmloud Videos! 10 12-01-2004 09:33 PM