Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Just bought a used WK with the RC4wd extended...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Just bought a used WK with the RC4wd extended...

The darned thing has a 13.75" WB!!! Im not impredded with the kit either, the links are easily bent at the threads and you cant swap them out.

I need to shorten it up over 1.15" now, but Im not sure what I need. I know I want to shorten the fron and leave the back longer, so it has a lil more stability on vert climbs. None of the stock parts came with it, so I can use any of them. What links should I use, I also need to do something with the center link, as its the full length alloy one from RC4wd.

This is how it was when I got it. Ill have to try to get my stubborn cam to work so I can take more pics.

I already did the chassis flip, over axle servo mount and unglued the tires and added weight and stared the foams. All this was done yesterday.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
RCC Addict

http://www.beckworks.com/
they have an upper 4 link mount, it's really nice. So, buy that and get some 8-32 allthread. Then, go get some traxxas 5347 rod ends (revo) and find some steel or aluminum tubing that fits fairly snug over the allthread and make your own links. That's about the beefiest links you'll ever need. I like to make my links out of delrin, so if you can find some of that, it'll work too.

finding the correct suspension link length
Making Links
"roller" links...

There you have it.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Chris, Ill be looking into doing just that. Im not impressed with this RC4wd kit. Im glad I didnt buy it myself, or Id have been seriously disapointed.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

nice ...

how do you unglue the tires?
andres-tavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I like the length myself, also did you say the links were from rc4wd? I think i saw them there, look really nice. Did they have the chassis to?

Cant wait to see what you do with it!
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres-tavares View Post
nice ...

how do you unglue the tires?
well, there have been a couple ways tried, i have found that if you boil the tires and rims, it helps alot, but, it does screw with the chrome on rims, it makes them dull. or, i have used a hair dryer, and got them really hot and slowly tried to pry the tire off. but be carefull anyway you do, the heat will try and warp the rims, so watch out for that.
gearmonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I always boil mine. The crome can dull sometimes, but only on cheap quality wheels. The pic is the way I got it from a guy in Florida. Im not impressed with the links, they bend way too easily at the threads, and the threads are not seperate, but machined parts of the alloy links.

I did swap the shock ends for one end on each link. It shortened it up 3/4 of an inch. but its still .5 too long for comp rules. After doing the chassis flip, I decided to pull the batter box out and noticed I had alot more rear atriculation then front, so I flipped it back and used the top shock mounts that seemed to work best. Then I cut away parts of the chassis that were either in the way or usless. Here is how it looks before I swapped the shock eyelets for one of each end on the lower links. Ill get more pics soon. My camera hates me, lol. I still meed to pretty up the servo mount and make a saddle pack.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I like the length i have to say, cant wait to get my links made. I want a 14-16 wb But i wont be comp crawling either . What is the upper mount on your 3 link, is that a suspesion arm or did it come in the kit? Alluminum looks sharp though
Old 02-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockeater View Post
I like the length i have to say, cant wait to get my links made. I want a 14-16 wb But i wont be comp crawling either . What is the upper mount on your 3 link, is that a suspesion arm or did it come in the kit? Alluminum looks sharp though
I dont mind the length, but it bottoms out alot with having 2.2's. Im planning on hitting a few local comps, so I need to figure something else out.

This is the kit and it comes with those upper links.
http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=699

Last edited by blackfoot; 02-24-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

so the wb is 13.75. Hmm sounds about right for me maybe a bit short for what i want.

So you say these links arent very strong? They look really nice, and tough. hMMM

is there another kit like this somewhere?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:12 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockeater View Post
so the wb is 13.75. Hmm sounds about right for me maybe a bit short for what i want.
At that WB you could only run Super, of which you would not be competitive.
Some guys run a 2.2 unlimited and push the WB to 14". To compete in 2.2 class you will need to get it down to the 12.5" mark.

Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
At that WB you could only run Super, of which you would not be competitive.
Some guys run a 2.2 unlimited and push the WB to 14". To compete in 2.2 class you will need to get it down to the 12.5" mark.

Yup, thats why I wanna shorten it up between 12 and 12.5
Old 02-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #13
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

The reason it's to long is because the axle link/shock mounts are rotated from their stock position.

If you want to shorten the WB, go buy some 6-32 allthread and 1/4" x .049 wall aluminum tube (made by K&S) and some new rod ends. Make the links the length you want. You can also cut some off the upper links and just redtill/retap that hole if you need to.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote