Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: 4 wheel steering question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 4 wheel steering question

Hi, I am looking into installing 4 wheely steering on my 4 x 4 WK. Just wondering is there anyone who have done this with one servo (4 turning at the same time), does it perform well, how will it be affect by locked diff. thanks.
jayliu1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I have 4ws but setup with tw servos that are located on the axle controlled by a tq3 never heard of one servo for them both
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i have heared of this done before. you have to have the stock servo set up, like, servo has to be mounted inside frame, and where the rod comes out to the front axle, you have to run one of those to the rear. you have to have a STRONG servo. 500 oz min i would say. as far as dependablilitie, well, you would be better off going tq3, and two servos.
gearmonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #4

isnt it more trouble then its worth? i heard it a pain to try and drive
poorboypulling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

You would definitely need a really strong servo with all the linkages you'll be going through. And you'll have to strengthen all the linkages then because the strength of the servo will be to much for the stock stuff. It's doable, but seems like a PITA.

IMO you'll get tired of having full-time 4ws. Sometimes you'll want to be able to just turn the front tires. You could always try it though. It won't be expensive to do, just time consuming. And then you'll know for sure if it's worth it.
smcurry83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:44 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I am worried about lossing the option to steer just the front wheels. As for the servo, I think the stock one is strong! Consider it broke the ring between the servo and the arm when I have it steering all the way and then some. Now I have a nut with a cut slot, it shall never break again.

Do you guy think it's worth it to have 4ws? I only have 2 channel control. that's the reason, and I wanna keep a scaled look. Tied on battery and servo on axe is not for me.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:25 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I think 4ws steering would be cool in certain situations and just for playing around. But not being able to have seperate control of the front & rear would stop me from doing 4ws with a 2ch. And I would rather have a dig set-up than 4ws any day...

As for the stock servo being strong, I dunno. I think if you bought a high-torque servo and felt the difference, you'd agree the stock one isn't that great. The only reason I'm keeping mine is for a dig servo.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I've just built a 4ws on my WK, I added a 645mg servo and its not strong enough. Need something much stronger....
simon170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
Nope..

4ws all the time sucks, here's why. When crawling if you are going up an incline and you need to steer left, the rear wheels throw the whole truck to the right and 4 out of 5 times it will flop on its side or lid. Now, if you are bashing on it and using it like a monster truck it will suck at high speeds. You'll steer one way and the truck will go tumbling. 1:1's almost always have a seperate switch for 4ws. For the reasons I've stated. It's your truck, but we're just trying to warn you.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I think I have made my decision. I will not have a full-time 4WS on this WK crawler. But I am contenplating the idea of building a custom crawler that will have 4ws option using a 3 channel control. I just can't seem to find a pistol control with 2 wheels on it. LOL
Old 03-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

You can mod a traxxas tq3 tx to use a toggle switch operated by your thumb to give you independent control of the rear steer. Probably the easiet and cheapest route. The only drawback is I think you don't have proportional steering in the rear. There's a sticky on it though, you should check it out.

That's what I'm going to use for my dig...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I love the four-wheel steer on mine, makes it turn much tighter and faster, as the locked diffs make it turn like a super tanker normally...
simon170 is offline   Reply With Quote