Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: jolt*r ESC beeping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #1

Default jolt*r ESC beeping

My wheely king died yesterday. With fresh batteries in the truck and TX it lurches uncontroled and will not respond to the controler. I swapped out the receiver and tried the one I know works out of my savage x but no help. Also the esc seems to beeping.... I don't remember it doing that first. Any help????????????? Thanks
renegade79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I cant remember mine beeping either. How worn is the motor? Has it been cleaned ever? I would clean and lube the moror and if it still persists try a different ESC. Good luck..
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #3

It's brand new!! I just got it Friday!!. I ran 3 battery charges through it this weekend and now this.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Burnt... Gotta buy a Moped!!!
drcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

did ya check the fuse? might be burnt up or something. my wk beeps everytime i give it throttle, like a long beep, till ya let go.did it get wet? might be a defect,call hpi.
bigmike07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #6

The fuse is good, the wiring is all conected and tight, it beeps about i beep per second constantly. It does not matter throttle on or off. I will call HPI when I get home. Thanks guys.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thumbs down

Mine did that and I replaced it with a Max. The beeping would happen every time it overheated. Safety function. Wait a few seconds and blip the throttle back and forth and it goes for a while longer but it will need longer and longer breaks each time in a session. It's just a weak ESC for crawling, same as the servo and steering links. Replace it w/ something better. The heat sinks are just for show IMO
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Check your connection from your ESC to your RX. Mine beebs when I turn my TX off. Your problem might be somewhat related
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

GulaVW69 is correct - the stock WK esc beeps VERY faintly - beep beep - 1 sec pause - beep beep - when it is not receiving any signal from the tX. This is normal and has nothing to do with overheating.

Sean

Last edited by SeanD; 09-24-2007 at 08:35 PM.
SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #10

Talked to HPI support last night they said it is likely a bad ESC. Send it in and they will test and advise. What a drag.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Are you sure its not your TX? Perhaps you should send all the electronics back. Woudn't the ESC respond this way (lurching etc) if not receiving the proper signal from the TX? Is your steering servo working?

The reason I know the ESC beeps when not receivng a signal is because I was driven nuts one night trying to track down, what I thought was, a digital watch alarm hidden somehwere in the house. Turns out the ESC emits a very faint beep beep when the TX is turned off. This a great function that tells you when you've left your truck's ESC turned on. It is not a sign of overheating.

Having said all this, a number of months back my stock motor stalled and ended up burning out the motor and the ESC. Bad luck saw me then fry my RX and servo to boot.. I ended up buying a Moped, a Traxxas TQ3 (TX and RX) and Towepro MG945's. My moto is "breakage is good because it often leads to updgrades."

Sean
Old 09-25-2007, 02:15 PM   #12

I got my WK about 3 weeks ago. It beeps continuously when I am on the throttle. It beeps at one second intervals (+/-) when I've got the wheels bound up in the rocks and provides no power to the wheels. I figure that it has a safety built in when there is too much tourque on the motor. My buddy just got a WK also and his is the same way.
Brip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #13

I swapped the RX to the one out of my savage x and it did the same thing. They are the same rx and I even tried the crystals and tx too. After swapping this much stuff around and getting the same results, I'm pretty sure it is the esc. At least I hope so. I shipped the esc off to HPI last nite. I'll let you know what they find out.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Chances are you're gonna outgrow the stock ESC anyway - which should happen about the same time it overheats and shuts while you're crawling a near-vertical rockface !!!! At least the 30 dollar Moped doesn't do this to you! Definitely something to think about.

Cheers,
Sean
Old 09-26-2007, 08:16 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
Chances are you're gonna outgrow the stock ESC anyway - which should happen about the same time it overheats and shuts while you're crawling a near-vertical rockface !!!! At least the 30 dollar Moped doesn't do this to you! Definitely something to think about.

Cheers,
Sean
You may outgrow it but the Moped is a POS worse than any esc I've tried.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
You may outgrow it but the Moped is a POS worse than any esc I've tried.

Thats funny, a moped got me to the nats this year...........well 2 of them anyway.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Your ESC is dead. Mine would do something similar whenever it would thermal shutdown. It would just act erratically, then come back on again once it cooled.

I replaced mine with a Moped V16R Bravo and I LOVE IT! The best $30 I've spent on this truck so far. The Jolt+R is now in my TC, which it's perfectly suited for.
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

That's what HPI said to me too. Thermal shutdown. I noticed it first at the park on a 98 degree day. 3minutes run time...beep...beep...beep.. 3 more minutes..beep..beep etc. Had full servo control still but I had to mashreverse a few times to get it to move again. Get a new ESC. The Novak XRS is a decent entry level ESC, But I'd save up and get a rooster crawler. The drag brake is unbelievable!Plus instant reverse and awesome low end control.
JMTCW
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Renegade, Did HPI ever get back with you on this? I was just out driving my WK that I've had two weeks today and it just quit responding to inputs from the transmitter and will lurch forward and randomly turn the wheels. If I turn off the transmitter it'll quit. I also swapped motors and get the same results...
ClaySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

RUUUNNNNNN!!!!!!! ITS GONNA BLOW
JEFF THE JET is offline   Reply With Quote