Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: second atemp tube chassis idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default second atemp tube chassis idea

so looking around for a while for a new idea came across this at hendrix motorsports

might give it a try,got to get the confidence up a bit though since this will be my second atempt at building a tube chassis

Last edited by frsttimer; 03-06-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: changing post
frsttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2008, 02:20 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I got those same prints. Thinkin of doin one from those myself when I can find the time.

Nice thing is they give you all the measurements so it makes it easy to do it as a Scaler too (no guess work).

I was thinkin about going with that chassis for a 1/6 scale build myself though since the WK axles are about perfect for it.

I say go for it!!!!
shierkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shierkahn View Post
I got those same prints. Thinkin of doin one from those myself when I can find the time.

Nice thing is they give you all the measurements so it makes it easy to do it as a Scaler too (no guess work).

I was thinkin about going with that chassis for a 1/6 scale build myself though since the WK axles are about perfect for it.

I say go for it!!!!
yeah thats what i was thinking also a scaler if im right 1/10 would make it like 14.5 inches long kinda guessing but going on some math not so smart at that stuff should be fun off to get some things for it today maybe might make the center rails square or rectangular not sure we'll see
Old 03-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'd just pick up 1/4 x 1/4" stock and make'em form that. Then start with the tube work, 3/16". I'd tuck (angle) the sides in a little though, i don't like how they're squared off like that.

I'm gonna start mine after we get moved. Then I'll have my own little space to work in.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

OHH my ..... thatīs a very good drawing to work from

I also like the formula toy
toyota frame with tuber top

http://hendrixmotorsports.com/_wsn/page4.html

Last edited by SnoopMaxx; 03-08-2008 at 10:16 AM.
SnoopMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'd just pick up 1/4 x 1/4" stock and make'em form that. Then start with the tube work, 3/16". I'd tuck (angle) the sides in a little though, i don't like how they're squared off like that.

I'm gonna start mine after we get moved. Then I'll have my own little space to work in.
i noticed from looking at the picks on the site that chassis is all tube so im going with all tube but instead of 3/16 im using 1/4 well see how it looks. as for the sides there is another bit thats not in that drawing that the links mount to im going to try to keep th the drawing as much as i can but there will be slight differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopMaxx View Post
OHH my ..... that´s a very good drawing to work from

I also like the formula toy
toyota frame with tuber top

http://hendrixmotorsports.com/_wsn/page4.html
yeah i like that one too but need a frame for it lol not that good at bending yet, the drawing came from the site should be a fun project i think it will be a 2.2 scaler so it might move to there soon

got a bit of progress done not much but some a couple of pics its going to be a big S.O.B.

Last edited by frsttimer; 03-08-2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: pics
Old 03-09-2008, 03:39 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Off to a good start!!! I forgot about the other section for the links to mount up to. Nice braze joints too.

Can't wait to see how it progresses. Keep up the good work.

I just might have to start mine a little sooner than planned.....Maybe I'll go ahead and build the one on the Toyota chassis. Don't know yet.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Off to a good start!!! I forgot about the other section for the links to mount up to. Nice braze joints too.

Can't wait to see how it progresses. Keep up the good work.

I just might have to start mine a little sooner than planned.....Maybe I'll go ahead and build the one on the Toyota chassis. Don't know yet.
thanks those joints are after some wire brushing one thing i noticed is that thw silver braze starts to kinda polish the steel lol thats what the dark around the braze is from im still learning how to braze i got a new torch the other day this is what it looks like found one on ebay its slowgoing with it makes it hard to over heat the join which i like cus i have a tendancy to over heat them and when they cool there all black and ugly looking here it is http://cgi.ebay.com/CRAFTSMAN-BERNZO...80220088a10941
Old 03-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

What scale did you end up going with?
Shaggy5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy5050 View Post
What scale did you end up going with?
1/10 the 1:1 version i 145 inches long so tthis one is around 14.5 or so its a little longer maybe around 14 3/4 to 15" i was thinking about using two trannys i have a wk trans and an ax10 trans was thinking about using the wk trans as a transfer case kinda but not sure how it would work out its a thought though would be pretty slow and low geared getting somemore tubes on cooling right now so i can clean it up a little might have some pics up pretty soon
Old 03-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

a few more pics of progress

Old 03-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

nice tube/brazing work. I will caution you a little... That formula toy chassis is designed to fit on top of a stock frame with leafs. Most likely you will be using coil over's so the layout will need to be modified. Also, your going to have some difficulty mounting your 4link since that chassis wasnt intended for that kind of suspension. The way you are going you should have a very nice looking scale chassis, I just wonder how well it will work.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Actually there's a couple different chassis on that page. He's doin the on for a 4-link, the link set-up is on another page. There is one made to mount up to a frame but, that's another chassis. It looks about the same as this on though.

Looking great so far. I'm sure it'll turn out awsome. Still waiting for ya to finish this. So keep up the good work. And keep posting them pics.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

The X chassis is designed for 4-link suspension with maximum up travel front and rear.

Sub-Frame with front and rear, upper and lower link mounts

Old 03-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
nice tube/brazing work. I will caution you a little... That formula toy chassis is designed to fit on top of a stock frame with leafs. Most likely you will be using coil over's so the layout will need to be modified. Also, your going to have some difficulty mounting your 4link since that chassis wasnt intended for that kind of suspension. The way you are going you should have a very nice looking scale chassis, I just wonder how well it will work.
it is the x chassis looks kinda like the f toy but uses a 4 link setup

Quote:
Actually there's a couple different chassis on that page. He's doin the on for a 4-link, the link set-up is on another page. There is one made to mount up to a frame but, that's another chassis. It looks about the same as this on though.

Looking great so far. I'm sure it'll turn out awsome. Still waiting for ya to finish this. So keep up the good work. And keep posting them pics.
thanks its pretty fun the only power tool used so far is a drill with a wire brush ann the tube are cut using a tubing cutter and fishmouthed with files the dremel makes way to much of a mess lol doing all this im my living room (my wife loves me lol) its also in the scale 2.2 section as i am planning on putting an interior and other goodies in to this one

a couple more pics

Old 03-13-2008, 02:34 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

D*mn you!! That last pick is SWEET!! Now I'm gonna have to start mine.

Could you have your wife send some of that love to my wife so I could get away with as much??
Old 03-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

AARGHH saawweet

the red tuber looks really tiny
Old 03-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

yeah compared to the new chassis it does look small the red tuber is 10.5 inches just to compare the difference
Old 03-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Updates plz
Old 03-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

moved to 2.2 scale section sorry figured it was a better place for this build