Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Axizl Transmission VS Wheely King Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Axizl Transmission VS Wheely King Transmission

ok i have built a 16" wb for my wheely king and stuck some monster truck tires on it but now it doesnt seem to have the torque even with the new spur and pinion, so would it be worth it to just throw in an axial transmission or would there be too many problems?
Tonelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I think you need to give some more info before anyone can help, like specific motor, gearing, esc and battery specs. Knowing that would help greatly

T.D.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

srry yah its the stock 27t motor and a duratrax 12t modified esc with a 96t Spur and 15t Pinion with a 3000mah 7.2v 6cell, had lots of torque to climb walls with the 21t pinion and 90t spur but now it will barely climb over a small rock
Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonelock View Post
srry yah its the stock 27t motor and a duratrax 12t modified esc with a 96t Spur and 15t Pinion with a 3000mah 7.2v 6cell, had lots of torque to climb walls with the 21t pinion and 90t spur but now it will barely climb over a small rock
Changing out the trans to another one won't help with the torque....unless of course the WK trans "clicking" slipper is stealing your torque

So you WERE running the 90/21 combo and after the changes run the 96/15 right? If so, I don't understand why you lost torque since the swap over to different gears gave you an additional 2.12:1 reduction in ratio. The larger tires may have something to do with it. More rotating circumference with a larger tire.

Last edited by Offroader5; 09-01-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
RCC Addict

If what you mean by monster truck tires is something bigger than the stock ones, you may be overworking your motor (which isn't all that great to begin with). Check the comm and brushes, clean if needed, make sure your pack is fully charged and try it out. The stock tires, or something bigger adds alot of weight, that wimpy motor it comes with might not be up to the task.

T.D.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Something else you may want to check is the gear mesh. If its way to tight it really puts a strain on the motor. IF that is the case, run a piece of paper between the gears before yo tighten down the motor. What size tires are you running?

Last edited by chris4207; 09-01-2008 at 08:46 PM.
chris4207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

or just drop down to a 35 turn motor. you'll still have some speed, have tons of torque compared to the 27 turn and they're cheap at around 16 bucks.
chris_dishmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

allright so i threw an integy 55t in it but its still not what i wanted, could it possibly be the ESC its in good shape but i allways see people switching to to a novak or something specifically programmed for crawling and the one i have was from an Evader ST stadium truck but i didnt think it would matter as long as i have the proper gearing?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #9

i had the same speed controle and it slowley died out unill it wouldent work at all
RnRJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I've never had an ESC do the slow "fade to black", usually just a quick POOF! But hey, anythings possible.

T.D.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The WK tranny is a good tranny for what it is. Like Offroader5 said, if its the tranny clicking, then tighten up the slipper. If not, it could be your esc..... I know my stock wk esc, did about the same thing. It would run at first, but after a few minutes, it would stall out and have barely any power. If ya got an extra esc layin around (or a friend close by that you can swap with just for testing purposes), try it out and see what happens.
TONKA TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:09 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I used to love my wheely king.......then i put big tires on it looks cool on my shelf:-( As soon as i put big wheels and tires on i heard my slipper for the first time thought ok shock spacer trick lock it after i got it all locked up got to drive abit then it turned my rear final gear and pinion to dust. BIG tires and locked diffs dont mix
budro kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by budro kemp View Post
. . . then it turned my rear final gear and pinion to dust. BIG tires and locked diffs dont mix
The WK's are prone to eat diff gears UNLESS you make sure that they are properly shimmed. I learned that the hard way when I chewed up a set of gears to the point that they couldn't mesh at all. Then I shimmed my new set and no problems yet - knock on wood.
SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

yah the tranny is locked up tight with a couple of screws, but sounds like i need a new ESC and to check my diff gears for proper shimming