Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Which Wheely King

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Which Wheely King

I want to build a Wheely King Crawler - Looks like the prebuilt WK kit with an HPI crawler conversion would be the best way to go?

WK prebuilt kit with no electronics $135.99
HPI Crawler conversion for WK $49.99

I am brand new to crawling and looking for a starter rig. I have an extra speed control,radio and reciever so my question is - does this sound like a good way to go? Also - the prebuilt WK with no electronics is four wheel and the RTR one is two wheel drive right?

Thanks lwarc
lwarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

The rtr WK that I started with was 4WD..It looks to me that the RTR and the preassembled WK w/ no electronics are both 4WD. The only stock parts left on the truck after my crawler build are the axle housings! i didnt use the HPI conv. kit, so i dont know anything about it..
billysnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

get the one with the crawler kit on it . i am new to this as well an i wish thats what i would have done. then if you wish you can add a comp chasis an u have it all . it will save you money i think an you have something to play with in the mean time
randy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

OH - I didn't know you could get it with the kit pre installed. I don't mind installing the kit myself if it will save me a few bucks. I will check it out - Thanks.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy1 View Post
get the one with the crawler kit on it . i am new to this as well an i wish thats what i would have done. then if you wish you can add a comp chasis an u have it all . it will save you money i think an you have something to play with in the mean time
I wasn't aware that it was available with the kit preinstalled either. HPI's website doesn't list it. Do you have a model number for it?

lwarc, IMO since you already have most of your electronics get the prebuilt with no electronics and the conversion kit. My buddy recently got the kit for his and it's a very nice, well thought out conversion.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

buy an axial youll be way happier. I just pulled my WK's back out to rebuild it and got frustrated, too bad i wasted $50 bucks on the crawler kit. Axials have the steering on the axle, that is what causes me the most grief, followed by the crappy houseing that you cant keep tight enough to keep the gears from stripping even after shimming.
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

While I love my modded WK, my g/f just got a Axial RTR. It doesn't have a drag brake and is way too fast in my opinion - but it has some sweet action on the rough stuff. I am seriously eyeing the AX-10 ARTR as my next purchase. The ARTR has some good upgrades on it.

Of course that means the WK could give up its axles and parts for a scaler. *Sigh* it never ends....

In other words, consider the Axial ARTR as well if you already have electronics. The WK is good too - I enjoyed modding mine (and I didn't have this so-called "crawler kit" you youngsters have today).
Zod Rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

i'd just get some complete wheely king axles and then build one of offroader5's chassis (they are easier than you think to build.) That's what i ended up doing, and now I have a competition crawler for under 250 bucks minus the body. If you are new to crawling, and don't know if you are going to stay with the hobby, then I'd just get the full wheely king, because if you don't want to crawl with it, you can still bash with it
newpinesap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

like the other guy said the big down fall is the steering but with some aluminum angle you can do what i did
4 link and servo mount
also dont know what you got for a esc and radio but go with a drag brake
and the crawler conversion IDK i got one but all im using is the bottom links but ill be changing them out soon
traxxas makes assorted link sizes then lock the diffs use some aluminum wheel hex's and your good to go

Last edited by backfold; 10-28-2008 at 02:54 PM.
backfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I ended up getting the prebuilt Wheely King without electronics from Tower Hobbies - along with the HPI Crawler Conversion kit. I also put in a 55 Turn Novak motor. I had an extra Futaba Servo, Losi Slider Speed control and a HiTec receiver. The 1/18th scale speed control and battery works pretty well but I had to put some foam rubber in the battery compartment to keep the small sized batter back from moving around. It crawls very nicely and it didn't break my pocket book.

Wheely King $135
Conversion Kit $50
Novak 55T $30
-$20 Tower Discount and $10 for shipping the total ends up at $205

I will post some pics of it in the photo album thread.