Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: axle question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default axle question

hi all, with my wheely king i fliped the chassis like 99.9% of people here. with doing that i had to reverse the motor wires so the truck went forward.

now what i'm getting at is i didn't like reversing the wires everytime i put a different motor in my truck( i know i'm weird), so what i did is flip my front and rear axle's so when i put a new motor in i just wired it up like normal.

now why i'm asking this question is i was looking at the pic thread looking at idea's for steering and nearly everyone has there axles none fliped.

can i please ask why is that.

thanks in advance tony...
tony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #2

Good question. When I got my Wheelie King I also purchased the HPI crawler conversion for it. When I was assembling the conversion onto my WK I wondered why it made you go through all the work of swapping the axles around when it looked like you could just swap the steering components around and reverse the motor so I would be curious to know the logic is also? As far as the motor reversing goes my understanding is the WK in stock form has the battery in the rear so as to make it easy for the Wheelie King to "wheelie" which is does very well but when you try and crawl with the stock setup the truck tends to want to flip backwards easier on climbs (at least for me anyway) so reversing the motor now shifts the battery weight to the front or middle front more for better balance. You may know this already but the other thing you can do (if you have a radio that permits it) if you do not like swapping the wires on your motors, just reverse the throttle servo setting on your radio.
Pete720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

some motors will not run as well reversed as they will when wired the right way because of timing usssues i think most are not flipped is because the may have also turned the trans around so it is facing the normal direction when they fliped the chassies just my thought

Last edited by frsttimer; 01-23-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: adding
frsttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:52 PM   #4

Hmm never thought of the timing issue. I am using a 55T Integy Lathe motor, does it matter with this motor which way it is rotating?
Old 01-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

If I am correct the 55t int. has zero timing meaning it can run in either direction...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #6

Ahh ok, thank you I was pretty sure I could not tell the difference in it's performance wired in either direction.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The reason for the swab compared to a flip
Is that the top link mount wont fit with out a little modding
I fabricated a 4 link mount and just flipped the axles

SnoopMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote