Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Mudding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #1

Default Mudding

I've had my basically stock wheely king for a while now, and I want to start converting it to more of a scale look and prep it for some time in the mud. When I bought it, I thought about just driving it in the mud and seeing what happened. I figured that all the electronics were high enough to keep them fairly safe, but I got to thinking about the axles, wheel bearings, etc.

So my question is, what needs to be done to a stock wheely kind to make it mud ready?
madmatt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I would definatly suggest waterproofing the electronics, put them in a box or baloon. As far as the bearings, the only thing that I found that works is to clean them every time and lube them before you go playing. Also if it is going to be a mud truck than you should probably protect the motor with a sock or some kind of filter, so you don't have to tear into the motor or retreve it from the mud. Heres a quick vid of my WK when it was all stock accept the motor and esc.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5PP6...rom=PL&index=1
thehopping1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #3

Man we have sunk stuck and lost or wk in creeks a pond and some water falls and it keeps goin. We even had a demolition derby but of course something had to break, it was the left front axel right where it goes down from bein straight and turns inti the ball>
8upboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
MWRCA'er

Balloons for electronics and consistent maintenance. Sealed bearings last a little longer then shielded.

Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

X2 on the sealed bearings, you can get the Traxxas ones for $3 a pair or Boca Green Seals for $10 for a set of four.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

a cool cheap alternative for a waterproof servo is the higher end line from Traxxas. They are blue, but water tight!
lsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

so far all the traxxas blue servos iv seen have sucked,strip out easy so i would have to say get a hitec 645,cheap and then just get some liquid electrical tape and coat the outside seems of the servo,works great and so far one of mine has lasted 2 years trough water and muck.
smm_cbf is offline   Reply With Quote