Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Steering ? Turn not far enough !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Steering ? Turn not far enough !

I have a WK that have done the HPI homebuilt conversion before the plastic production one was available . I have always thought that the thing didn't turn far enough each way . I have a front steering servo mount also, I know that the stock bellcrank setup is a joke.
Anyhow, has anyone else thought the same thing ? How do you get these to turn basically lock to lock ? I have tried extending the bellcrank length to increase the "throw" but heck the thing would have to be dragging on the ground to get the turn out of it that I want .
Thanks,
Raz
RazBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazBarlow View Post
I have a WK that have done the HPI homebuilt conversion before the plastic production one was available . I have always thought that the thing didn't turn far enough each way . I have a front steering servo mount also, I know that the stock bellcrank setup is a joke.
Anyhow, has anyone else thought the same thing ? How do you get these to turn basically lock to lock ? I have tried extending the bellcrank length to increase the "throw" but heck the thing would have to be dragging on the ground to get the turn out of it that I want .
Thanks,
Raz
Mine turns lock to lock with this servo mount.

Its a homemade setup.
A good strong servo and a good radio system with End point adjustments helps alot.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The bellcrank you are referring to is a servo horn. You may be able to get a longer one and trim as needed. You can point the horn upward, or you could change the horns position on the servo and get longer steering linkage. I used a Rustler VXL toelink to the hub carrier on mine. My steering rod is a home fab, and the servo is mounted in the center.

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/t...ReKLIY7003.jpg
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I recently posted about this problem too and found that if you get rid of the tie rod that connects the to knuckles and run a small link off the rear of the servo horn to one knuckle and a long link from the front of the horn to the other knuckle it steers great. I also have the axle mount servo and was running a setup that looked like everyone elses on here but for some reason wasnt happy with it. I guess the geometry was just off. Anyway a few inexpensive links and the thing steers like a beast.
CREEPINKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Here is my setup , I just do not feel that it turns far enough .
RazBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Just jump it!

A quick fix would be a longer servo horn.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

For max steering out of a wk axle head over to rpp and pickup some aluminum knuckles, c's and cvd's. Fit and finish on the parts is awesome and with the addition of these parts you'll steer as far as your servo will throw.

If that STILL isn't enough....raise your tie rod up so it clears the top of the pumpkin or fab up a bent one (the wk pumkin is huge compared to say an axial pumkin).
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #8

Add a longer servo horn and bend the draglink away from the pig in the middle. Mine turns lock to lock.
bad67dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

...or you have too limited EPA-adjustments on your transmitter? But honestly i don't even know can you adjust EPA, if you are using the stock HPI 27mHz system.
ErÄjOrMa is offline   Reply With Quote