RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   HPI Wheely King (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-wheely-king/)
-   -   Don's DNA R/C WK Pro Proto buildup (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-wheely-king/173410-dons-dna-r-c-wk-pro-proto-buildup.html)

billet works 04-16-2009 10:53 AM

Don's DNA R/C WK Pro Proto buildup

8 Attachment(s)
Well guys, this new build will house products I've had in the works for over a year. The chassis itself is something me and David (my local shakey vid guy) have been working on together. Keep in mind, due to lack of cnc equipment in the home office, some of the parts are partially or fully hand made as this is a prototype. The goal of this build is to build up a WK that addresses some of the issues that make the WK less than competitive with stock parts. This is not a simple bolt together kit, it will require some mods made to your stock transmission case in order for everything to fit properly. We made the chassis as narrow as it could possibly be, given the fact that narrow width is an advantage the WK trans has over other units. I trimmed the trans posts down leaving only enough to fill the counter-bored holes in the back side of the new chassis side plates. Some other filing is necessary to make everything clear but I did everything with cutters and an exacto. I also had to c’sink the holes in the lower bolt holes for the trans cover where the rear lower links attach between the chassis and skid replacing the stock bolts with countersunk bolts…if not the rod ends will rub on the stock bolt heads.

Here's a rundown

DNA R/C WK Pro chassis kit
DNA R/C Lower link mounts
DNA R/C WK Dig unit
DNA R/C WK upper link mounts
DNA R/C WK servo mount
DNA R/C WK Stalkers
WK axles with upgrade parts
WK transmission with alum gears
WK drive shafts
Holmes Hobbies 500 Puller
Caste Creations Sidewinder
More to come...

Here's some pics thus far, I'll be updating as I make progress over the next little bit.

Don

Jeepial 04-16-2009 11:16 AM

Looks awesome so far Don...Can't wait to see how this rig turns out.It is cool though that DNA is putting a wide variety of chassis's out for damn near ever consumer and almost every rig.."thumbsup"

Harley 04-16-2009 11:18 AM

The chassis mounted motor plate is definitely innovative. Nice job Don "thumbsup"

CD13 04-16-2009 11:22 AM

Looks good Don,I remember you being the first person to make things for the WK.I guess you haven't gave up on making it competitive. "thumbsup"

Offroader5 04-16-2009 11:23 AM

Hmmm....this might be the ticket for my WK trans and axles that are just sitting all lonely and collecting dust. 8)

Harley 04-16-2009 11:26 AM

When did they open this section back up? Hasn't it been gone for about a year?

:lol:

chip cross 04-16-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 1742099)
The chassis mounted motor plate is definitely innovative. Nice job Don "thumbsup"

With that much beef it should not have any deflection of the spur and pinion.

billet works 04-16-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip cross (Post 1742112)
With that much beef it should not have any deflection of the spur and pinion.

It helps that the chassis sides are countersunk forcing the motor plate to stay centered and locked in place. Ok, I'm going to the garage to make some links for this thing...be back soon.

Harley 04-16-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billet works (Post 1742120)
It helps that the chassis sides are countersunk forcing the motor plate to stay centered and locked in place. Ok, I'm going to the garage to make some links for this thing...be back soon.

I call BS now......

chip cross 04-16-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billet works (Post 1742120)

That makes it even better. "thumbsup"

billet works 04-16-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 1742125)
I call BS now......

BS on what...dangit, just realized no rod ends to put together links...time to hit the hobby shop :roll:

hitman46mod 04-16-2009 11:44 AM

I wish I had thought of the motor mount idea before I sunk money into an AX-10 drivetrain.:roll:
Awesome job."thumbsup"

JAM MaxAmps.com 04-16-2009 11:46 AM

This should be pretty cool. Now get to the store so we can see it all set up.

-J

Jeepial 04-16-2009 11:46 AM

Hurry and go to the hobby store Don.You gotta have this thing done by today,plus you got video to shoot.So don't be getting sidetracked on your way to the hobby store.:lol:..By the way...You get that e-mail I droped you?

thehopping1 04-16-2009 11:49 AM

:shock: That looks awesome man. I like the chassis mounted motor plate, I don't think I've ever seen any thing like that. And the fact that you are keeping it so narrow is perfect. I might have to rethink my WK rebuild. Any ways, it shows that you put a lot of thought and effort into this. Keep it up."thumbsup"

210solomon007 04-16-2009 12:02 PM

Is he back yet??? Hot Rid Town Car :-)

billet works 04-16-2009 04:36 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here's more pics. I still have to track down some Losi 4" crawler shocks...then it will be a roller. These wheels are temporary, new ones are on the way :lol:

I'm working on the steering setup now...have a few directions I could go with it, we shall see.

Offroader5 04-16-2009 04:50 PM

You should really do your best at trying to narrow that chassis up a bit. With it soooo wide...it's going to get hung up on the smallest of rocks.

Offroader5 04-16-2009 04:51 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

JAM MaxAmps.com 04-17-2009 06:14 AM

Note to self "Don't forget to pick up a WK the next time you see a deal on one"

-J