Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: WK Comp Copy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #21
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdojack View Post
The wheel speed is insaine. People are always like, "what kind of brushless set-up do you have?"

I have mine set up with CKRC trans gears, (slightly lower geared than stock) Axial underdrive gears on the rear axle, and 12/91 gearing on the spur. And I might go back to a 96t spur for a smoother operation down low.

But it's fast enough I can jump it! I should take some video this week when go crawling...

And as for batteries... I'm running a 1300mah 3 cell LiPo with a 25C rating through a Tekin FX-R. I wouldn't go any less mah or have any lower C rating. Run times are around 30 to 40 min depending on how much ass I'm hauling.

Hope this helps,

TOM
How hot is your promax getting!! Mine is super hot after about 5 minutes with a 2s 1300 lipo. I took everything down and checked for binding. Both axles spin freely by hand and tranny is silky smooth.
I am going to drop down to a 11/96 ratio and try that.
I want to throw a 3s on there but thought it might catch fire.
The wheelspeed is great on 2s, i could only imagine 3s.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

My motor doesn't get too hot... I don't even keep an eye on it most of the time. Maybe if I saw smoke I might get concerned But with the 3S lipo, it wouldn't make the motor run any hotter at low speeds. It just supplies more available voltage so it actually crawls smoother with a bigger battery. Kind of hard to explain...

But yeah, its fast and powerful.

I have had great luck with dependability the last 6 months (till March) I recently destroyed the rear carrier. The Axial sintered locker spun around 180* inside the carrier and sheared off the screws that hold the ring gear on. So I upgraded to Felsenfest spools

Not a week later I got frustrated at a comp when my truck got all bound up, and I tried to power out of it. I got out of the bind, but I noticed my left rear wheel was "coasting" (figured I broke a wheel hex pin) So I called it quits and tossed the truck over by my tool box and the left rear wheel fell off, with about 1 1/2" of the axle shaft still attached to it. So yeah, kinda impressed that I snapped the RC4WD 6mm straight axle! I should post up pics...

What is your truck geared right now?
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #23
Just jump it!

I was running a 12/96 with a HH Puller 500. I stripped a 96 and the motor was acting up so i put in my promax before the midwest challenge. I only had a 93t spur and 13t pinion. I ordered a new 11t pinion and a 96 spur so i am going to try that when i get home.
My spurs are my biggest weak spot. I have the CVD's on front and plain ole STRC rear lockouts and have had good luck so far. I did bend a rear axle a bit at the midwest.
I have only been running 2s 30c lipos. If the gearing helps keep my temps low i am going to throw a 3 s on there and see what happens.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Ha what an awesome WK rig. I should have done that instead of freaking out and buying an axial.
SpikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeX View Post
Ha what an awesome WK rig. I should have done that instead of freaking out and buying an axial.
Thank you! Thank all you guys for the positive feedback!

If I was going to build it over again... I would run the same chassis, but build a custom transmission using axial trans gears stacked straight up, and then run axial axles. Especially since they have Super 300's for the axials now!

And my friend took some video of me jumping the truck this afternoon. I'll try to get it posted up soon!

TOM
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote