Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Ring and pinion wear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Ring and pinion wear

Ok so my brother in law knows nothing about RC cars so if he breaks it I fix it, I don't mind tho because I love to wrench on RCs but anyway, he brought me his wheely king that he's had for about 3 years and the diff sound like it was slipping, I put the crawler conversion on it for him last year so o instantly thought the ring and pinion busted some teeth since the diff is locked, I tear it down pull out the diff and no broken teeth, so I clean it up and throw the axle back together to check again, I check the shim of the diff and when I pull back on the pinion it starts to click but I can't seem to figure out how to shim it so the pinion will stay tighter to the ring gear, from what I can tell tho the 2 gears have worn down so much that they need to be replaced, any suggestions?
Tonelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default HD final drives

Sounds to me like it needs an upgrade to the HD drives. mine have help up to some brushless torture for a while now and no clicks.

if they dont look bad than its the tranny idler gear thats clicking. aluminium upgrade $30

http://www.xtownrc.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id/5064

Last edited by chongdigga; 07-13-2009 at 03:16 PM.
chongdigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well it's definatly the diff because the axle wasn't attached to the tranny when I got it to click and it would only click if I pulled on the pinion, I'm just wondering if I can just shim it or if the gears need replacing?
Tonelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonelock View Post
Well it's definatly the diff because the axle wasn't attached to the tranny when I got it to click and it would only click if I pulled on the pinion, I'm just wondering if I can just shim it or if the gears need replacing?
I pulled the pinion out and put 3 or 4 shims in mine. Never clicked again. They are 5 mm shims.
If they still click after adding shims the teeth are probably to rounded off already.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:30 AM   #5

Make sure he 4 diff housing bolts are tight to ive had dramas with my housings stripping before an the crownwheel an pinion starts to slip to fix that i just drilled out the housings an nut an bolted them
MUDRAT is offline   Reply With Quote