Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Using an axial trans with Wheely king axles, anyone done it? if so how?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Using an axial trans with Wheely king axles, anyone done it? if so how?

i have a scale crawler running an Axial trans for chassis/body clearance reasons and wondered how you guys have the drive shafts connceted. i basically used my WK drive shafts but had to use a smaller spur as the WK DS is thicker and rubs the spur gear. They hold fine but wobble a bit. Im having to run one set screw on one end and another on the opposite side. Anyone else run a similar set up?
boostamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

heres what i did AX10 Wheely King hybrid i used ax10 drveshafts tho it seems to be holding up, just working on some PVC lockouts atm
Tonelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

The yoke on the trans end wobbles because the WK trans & axle output shafts are 6mm, which is what the yoke is sized for...whereas the Axial trans is only 5mm...so you have 1mm of slop trying to use the larger bore yoke on the smaller shaft of the trans.

You can get Maxx driveshaft yokes in both 5mm & 6mm bores. So, if you pick yourself up some Maxx axleshafts (which have 6mm bored yokes)...and then buy the older Maxx trans shaft yokes (which are 5mm bores) you can install the 5mm yoke on one end (for the Axial trans) and leave the 6mm on the other (for the WK axle).
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
The yoke on the trans end wobbles because the WK trans & axle output shafts are 6mm, which is what the yoke is sized for...whereas the Axial trans is only 5mm...so you have 1mm of slop trying to use the larger bore yoke on the smaller shaft of the trans.

You can get Maxx driveshaft yokes in both 5mm & 6mm bores. So, if you pick yourself up some Maxx axleshafts (which have 6mm bored yokes)...and then buy the older Maxx trans shaft yokes (which are 5mm bores) you can install the 5mm yoke on one end (for the Axial trans) and leave the 6mm on the other (for the WK axle).

cool, got a link? im tire of not being able to run a bigger spur so i can gear it down.

thanks!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostamante View Post
cool, got a link? im tire of not being able to run a bigger spur so i can gear it down.

thanks!
Well, the Maxx yokes are still a larger yoke than the stock WK, so the clearance would actually get tighter to the spur.

I'm pretty sure that you can run a 87t spur with the Maxx yokes. Have you thought of stepping down the teeth on the motor pinion gear? What combo are you running for tooth count on both gears...that would be a good starting point to see if I can help ya out with some suggestions.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Well, the Maxx yokes are still a larger yoke than the stock WK, so the clearance would actually get tighter to the spur.

I'm pretty sure that you can run a 87t spur with the Maxx yokes. Have you thought of stepping down the teeth on the motor pinion gear? What combo are you running for tooth count on both gears...that would be a good starting point to see if I can help ya out with some suggestions.

Well beacuse of the size of the yoke on the WK DS, i was limited to running a 85 tooth and it still rubbed a bit from the yoke not being perfectly centered to the output shaft on the trans. The spur on the motor is a 15 tooth and i am now running a 81/15 combo. it seems to be doing ok but i only have one 3mm bolt holding the motor to the trans plate mount. im thinking maybe i can make a shaft that fits the Axial trans using its correct DS on that end and using the WK one aswell. a mickey mouse if you will of a drive shaft:P

Had i stared out with a set of axial axles, i dont think i would be in this pickle...:P
Old 07-17-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonelock View Post
heres what i did AX10 Wheely King hybrid i used ax10 drveshafts tho it seems to be holding up, just working on some PVC lockouts atm

how did you get the end of the yoke that attaches to the WK axle to fit? isnt the wk axle pinion shaft bigger that the yoke will accept on the axials?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Well beacuse of the size of the yoke on the WK DS, i was limited to running a 85 tooth and it still rubbed a bit from the yoke not being perfectly centered to the output shaft on the trans. The spur on the motor is a 15 tooth and i am now running a 81/15 combo. it seems to be doing ok but i only have one 3mm bolt holding the motor to the trans plate mount. im thinking maybe i can make a shaft that fits the Axial trans using its correct DS on that end and using the WK one aswell. a mickey mouse if you will of a drive shaft:P

Had i stared out with a set of axial axles, i dont think i would be in this pickle...:P
What is your overall goal with gearing...more wheelspeed or more torque with a lower gearing? You're at a 5.4:1 ration at the spur right now with that combo.

If you want more torque, you could try a 13t pinion which would net a 6.2:1 ratio. This is of course IF you can use this small of a pinion gear with that small of a spur (the motor may not be able to slide close enough to the spur for good tooth contact).

If you're looking for more wheelspeed, then you could easily leave that smaller spur on there and try a 17t pinion. This would give ya 4.7:1.

I realize the original question was about the yoke/shaft issue...but I'm getting into the gearing to see if just sticking with the small 81t spur can work just fine...whereas you wouldn't need to worry so much about the clearance issue with the yoke.

Quote:
how did you get the end of the yoke that attaches to the WK axle to fit? isnt the wk axle pinion shaft bigger that the yoke will accept on the axials?
I realize you're asking Tonelock...but, if the yokes are plastic (even if they are steel...just tougher to do), then you can just use a 6mm drill bit to open up the yoke to fit the WK axle end. This of course will only work if you are able to use a grub screw on the yoke that goes all the way through the stub shaft on the axle since the bore in the yoke will now be round rather than having any flat spots to keep it from spinning.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
RCC Addict

The holes in the yoke on an axial shaft are round anyway. Get some traxxas steel yokes 5mm and drill one end to 6mm. Then flatten the opposite side of the pin on the WK axles so there is a flat spot on both sides. Slide the yoke on and put in both set screws with locktite. It will hold as long as you want it to.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
What is your overall goal with gearing...more wheelspeed or more torque with a lower gearing? You're at a 5.4:1 ration at the spur right now with that combo.

If you want more torque, you could try a 13t pinion which would net a 6.2:1 ratio. This is of course IF you can use this small of a pinion gear with that small of a spur (the motor may not be able to slide close enough to the spur for good tooth contact).

If you're looking for more wheelspeed, then you could easily leave that smaller spur on there and try a 17t pinion. This would give ya 4.7:1.

I realize the original question was about the yoke/shaft issue...but I'm getting into the gearing to see if just sticking with the small 81t spur can work just fine...whereas you wouldn't need to worry so much about the clearance issue with the yoke.

I realize you're asking Tonelock...but, if the yokes are plastic (even if they are steel...just tougher to do), then you can just use a 6mm drill bit to open up the yoke to fit the WK axle end. This of course will only work if you are able to use a grub screw on the yoke that goes all the way through the stub shaft on the axle since the bore in the yoke will now be round rather than having any flat spots to keep it from spinning.
well, at 81 the wheelspeed isnt great but thats not really my concern. the torque however, is. I guess the whole point to this thread is to be able to run a decent drive shaft without it being all mickey mouse like. im gonna look into the enlarging the wholes on the yokes like you guys mentoined. thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
The holes in the yoke on an axial shaft are round anyway. Get some traxxas steel yokes 5mm and drill one end to 6mm. Then flatten the opposite side of the pin on the WK axles so there is a flat spot on both sides. Slide the yoke on and put in both set screws with locktite. It will hold as long as you want it to.
thank you for that, i gonna look into it.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
RCC Addict

And it will clear a stock axial spur.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #12
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
I realize the Axial yoke ID is already round....which is why they still can come loose if there isn't a hole though the shafts so you can put a grub screw all the way through. I've tried the double grub screw with Loctite trick...and it still can throw a driveshaft. Only reason Axial uses flats on their shafts is because there is no holes through them. You have to have one or the other to keep them from spinning. The most bulletproof way is to have the grub screw all the way through the yoke & shaft.

With less work than flattening the WK's axle output shaft, you can drill a hole through that same output shaft...throw a grub screw in that will go all the way through...and you're done. It won't come off.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:07 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Step One: Try not to look at the prices!

Next:

buy 2 sets of THESE So then you have stronger, lower gears & 5mm outputs.

And buy 1 set of THESE So then you have stronger, smaller diameter & 5mm inputs.

Now your ready to break inner axles!
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote