Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: New Era WK chassis; any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New Era WK chassis; any good?

I was thinking of getting this:

Does anyone have it? Id like to see some completed shots.

http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...=&part_id=8874
Mekong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #2

I have one, honestly, I wouldn't buy it over again. Its too top heavy, pricey, and the links must be mounted on the outside or else you run into some serious clearance issues. I don't have pics, my camera went south.
therigliveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

What would you get instead? Im not really building a comp crawler just a capable basher that has a scale reminisent look, I am not to thrilled with the chassis that looks like a V
Mekong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I had the New era models RTR version. I got it on a trade for cheap. Had I bought it from new era models for the price they charge, I would have been on the phone irate and demanding my money back. But, after many hours of cutting down the links to get the WB to 12 inches I was able to move the links to the inside of the frame. The front shocks hit the tires so bad I had to mount the upper end of the front shock to the inside of the mount which limited my options as far as shock placement. I did get it to work well, but in the end, I sold it. Bought a K2-5 frame and build a scaler.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #5

If I had to do it again, I would pick up a clocked motor plate from one of the vendors and then choose any of the popular chassis kits designed for an AX-10. The New Era kit is indestructable, but the fit and finish isn't what I would expect for something in the $100 range. With a clocked motor plate, you could probably pick up a TCS Edge for less than half of the New Era chassis. Here's a link to my old pics, I've done some work to the chassis since these, but you get the idea...

Last edited by therigliveson; 09-02-2009 at 05:40 PM.
therigliveson is offline   Reply With Quote