Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: OptimusV6's WK build and first impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #1

Default OptimusV6's WK build and first impressions.

There are some amazing builds in these site, and this may not get to be one of them (not trying to build the ultimate comp crawler or the ultimate scale crawler), but I want to try to answer all the questions I had before deciding to buy my Wheely King. On the plus side, I have some nice picture for everyone to see.

I decided to buy the Wheely King for two reasons, first, the kit is just $130! Very good price... and I wanted to use all the extra Traxxas parts I had (servos, radios, speed controls...)! And second, I didn't want a slow crawler, but something I could bash with and crawl at the same time (like a 1:1 off-road truck). I just love speed...

First impression: If you have driven a traxxas slash, believe me, you will find the wheely king SLOW for a basher... even with a 2S.... If you want a 4x4 basher, be prepared to buy a brushless motor or change the esc and use a 12t brushed motor.

For the crawling part, I knew I wanted to extend the chassis with the HPI kit, but I wanted to be able to pop a wheelie with the nimh battery, at least in an small incline. So, off the bat, battery tray will remain in the back. Some pics:

Stock

Starting the build

I really hate these!

Extended wheelbase and locked differentials...

Proline beadlocks and tires... really, wheels are the best upgrade... after that, locked differentials and extended wheelbase.

Over the axle servo.... and of course, a Dremel is your best friend (also, the servo saver of the WK sucks!)

Finally, you can see the battery location for crawling, the 2S lipo lets me have plenty of torque and power...a 3S would be great, but the xl-5 esc will not handle that voltage. If I am going in reverse in a small incline, I can hit forward and the WK will wheely, not a full "I need the wheely bar" wheely, but enough to impress people and have fun. With a 7 cell nihm in the stock location, it is a "I am vertical" wheely!

For electronics and motor, I am currently runing traxxas servo, esc and radio, and stock motor and gearing (21/90 right?)

I have a 93t spur and a 45t Integy lathe motor, but haven't install them yet. Future mods (meaning, thing are on the mail) are MG946R servo with aluminum horn, DNA chassis and Rubicon body.

Final thought: as a trail runner, non comp crawler.... its great (just extend the chassis, lock diffs and get crawling wheels and tires)! If you really want to compete, just understand that a lot of mods will be necessary (but definitely possible, just look at Rottenbelly's or Stampedeproject's rigs!). Anyway, I don't regret my purchase at all... half the fun is tinkering with your rig (except painting, I hate painting)!

I will post action pics later... I need to get back to work :?

Cheers,

Joe
OptimusV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #2

As promised... the action shots. These were taken in my moms yard. I just convinced my wife to let me make a rock garden at home.... because I'm just like that

And, one pic of some of the other toys....

Last edited by OptimusV6; 03-09-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Lookin good. I run a 3s with an XL-5 and a 27T on one of my scalers. Not saying its right but I havnt had any problems yet.
CREEPINKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPINKING View Post
Lookin good. I run a 3s with an XL-5 and a 27T on one of my scalers. Not saying its right but I havnt had any problems yet.
Thanks!

I've also heard of people running the XL-5 with a 3S over at the traxxas forums... They are supposedly rated up to 9.6 volts (8 cell nimh). I'll try it right after I get a crawler esc