Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: wk steering issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Question wk steering issues

I just purchased a used wk from ebay and am having some steering issues. The seller said it needed the steering servo rebuilt so when I got it I installed a brand new servo. When powered on it will steer in one direction but won't turn the other. It's getting bound at the front axle...I've tried to turn the wheels by hand (when powered on) and they won't turn...I'm afraid I'll snap something if I force it.

When the power is off, the wheels turn just fine in both directions with no binding.

wk has an integy chassis, stock servo location, rc4wd crawler conversion. The steering linkage is stock except for the long link which looks like it's made from hardware store rod with rod ends mounted on each end.

Anyone have any idea what would cause it to bind with the power is on but not when the power is off?
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

When the power is on you're fighting the servo wanting to center , when power off you're turning it from the wheels not the servo horn . it soundS like the problem (binding) is in the crossover (steering from a stock W/K) . Pics are worth a thousand words (not sure what your set-up is ie .. steering arrangement , servo type/size , controller type , or mods done) ...
vn1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vn1500 View Post
Pics are worth a thousand words (not sure what your set-up is ie .. steering arrangement , servo type/size , controller type , or mods done) ...
I'm at work now, so no access to pictures until tonight but...

Steering arrangement - stock
servo - traxxas 2056 (not going to stay, just used to see what's going on)
controller - traxxas TQ (again, not going to stay)
mods - integy purple chassis (http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...42&p_catid=114)
rc4wd extension kit (http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=394)

here's a link to the ebay auction I won...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...view=img&tid=0
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #4

it might be your raido and rx box my servo would freak out and turn to the left all the time. so i replaced the whole radio and it worked
dbking321 is offline   Reply With Quote