RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   HPI Wheely King (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-wheely-king/)
-   -   Rooster Crawler Drag Brake with Crawler King (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-wheely-king/225859-rooster-crawler-drag-brake-crawler-king.html)

skullking 01-21-2010 08:25 PM

Rooster Crawler Drag Brake with Crawler King

Hey Guys, I just got a Rooster Crawler from here off the Classifieds. Now I used to have one with an AX10. That one the drag brakes would let you stop dead in your tracks where ever you were. In the Crawler King it stops on a dime but when crawling it does not hold it's position. Is this because of the Stock Trans or is the ESC messed up??? Any Help would be great since the Seller has not returned any of my emails.

ToyComa 01-21-2010 10:09 PM

subscribing to this. What is the gearing on it? Could that be the problem? I just changed my gearing on my CK today and it made a diffrence even with the stock esc.

curraheejeeps 01-22-2010 12:53 AM

i just installed one too and it does the same thing. seems it holds better when the battery is fully charged. i am running a novak 55t terra claw motor and 96t/10t gears.

from full speed if i throw the controller in neutral, the back right tire actually lifts off the ground for a second.

the3kid 01-22-2010 06:24 AM

I have the same thing going on with my drag brakes. It all really depends on battery voltage and motor turns....how heavy your rig is... gearing, etc. They all play a role in how the drag works in the rooster. It is not a mechanical brake but a magnetic brake. So depending on weight, gearing, etc. you have a different strain on the magnets. Also, a stronger magnet or hand wound motor will help and a higher turn motor to provide more resistance and braking force. I wouldn't worry about the esc and relearn that this esc will not stop on a dime and learn to drive that way. I think that will be the easiest to do. Just my 2 cents

skullking 01-22-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the3kid (Post 2247665)
I have the same thing going on with my drag brakes. It all really depends on battery voltage and motor turns....how heavy your rig is... gearing, etc. They all play a role in how the drag works in the rooster. It is not a mechanical brake but a magnetic brake. So depending on weight, gearing, etc. you have a different strain on the magnets. Also, a stronger magnet or hand wound motor will help and a higher turn motor to provide more resistance and braking force. I wouldn't worry about the esc and relearn that this esc will not stop on a dime and learn to drive that way. I think that will be the easiest to do. Just my 2 cents

Hey Thanx, You seem to make some good since. I guess on a comparison to an AX 10 Trans to the Crawler King Trans you would get more Drag Brake with the Axial?? I wonder if I just swapped the Stock Motor out with a Better 55 turn would that make a diffenence?

RockCrawlingKid 01-22-2010 06:33 PM

I was thinking its more along the lines of sloppy drive cups(every stock Wk has them front and rear. and the pinion slop. you will notice it if you lock up the pinion input and turn the tires. they move alot, more than you will think"thumbsup"

skullking 01-22-2010 07:12 PM

Just put in a Integy V10 50 Turn Motor and all the difference in the World!! Works like a charm, The Stock Trans is going to allow it to roll some too. ESC WOrks Great! WHEWWW"thumbsup" Still have great wheel speed with stock gearing and Lots more Power and smooth too. VERY PLEASED !!! Thanx for the Help Guys!!!