Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: WK in need of Big Tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 01:48 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default WK in need of Big Tires

Hey guys,
yes I have been lurking on here for some time, alot of great info on here ! I have a WK with the HPI crawler conversion, GRU, new pinion(s), heavily cut body, hand grooved and siped stock tires, garage built front tie-rod and drag-link with Traxxis 2075 in stock location in the frame. (steering is better than stock, but not near what it needs to be) I know the 2075 isn't a super power house, but I liked the water proof feature. I crawl a little, but I am more into general bashing/wheeling. I want to run the HPI GT tires for the savage on my WK. They stand 6.25" tall and are on 3.2 wheels. I did several searches and was unable to find what I need to do this. I know some one on here has done it.... Do I need axle extenders? Will the savage wheels have enough offset to clear the knuckles on the WK? And lastly, I have been resisting mounting the servo on the axle because you lose like 1/2" or more of up travel. None of the searches I could find addressed how to get "great" steering from the servo mounted in the frame, or how NOT to lose up travel when mounting it to the front axle??
I know thats alot for my first post, I appriciate any advice you have.

Thanks.
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I don't think that it's possible to have really good steering while mounted in the chassis. In order for the servo to reach the wheels, it needs quite a few linkages. The more linkages, the more steering slop. Unless you do some extreme crawling, I wouldn't think you'd notice the small amount of travel you loose with the axle mount. I'm not sure if you need wideners, but the e- savage uses 14mm hexes, which are included with the wheely king roller and rtr.

Last edited by the Mad Modder; 02-23-2010 at 07:02 PM.
the Mad Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #3

i think the only way it would work is if you bought some of the centered out rims and mounted the tires on them. either that or get the axle extenders
jsommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Ok quick update:
I bought 4 HPI GT tires to put on my WK (they look awesome !!), my question is when I go to buy wheels (looking at Maximizer beadlocks) should I get zero offset or 3/4" offset wheels? And why? I was thinking 3/4" because that would increase my width by 1 1/2" and I think this would help decrease any chances of body or suspension rubbing on the new tires. Secondly which Hex size should I get ? 14mm or 17mm??? And why?

Thanks guys !
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #5

sorry i have a question about wheels, and it looks like this would be a good place to ask. What size wheel can you run on a stock WK? I really want some beadlocks.
squad2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyo496 View Post
Ok quick update:
I bought 4 HPI GT tires to put on my WK (they look awesome !!), my question is when I go to buy wheels (looking at Maximizer beadlocks) should I get zero offset or 3/4" offset wheels? And why? I was thinking 3/4" because that would increase my width by 1 1/2" and I think this would help decrease any chances of body or suspension rubbing on the new tires. Secondly which Hex size should I get ? 14mm or 17mm??? And why?

Thanks guys !

WK comes with 14mm adaptors. If you go maximizer you can get the x75 ones they would fit and without rubbing. The zero offsets would most likely fit too, but I'm not too sure on how much they would rub on the chassis. I can tell you one thing for sure: you will break parts with these new (large) tires esp driveshafts and axle shafts. While your at it after breaking those parts replace the ring and pinions with either the HPI MT2 SS ones or the e-savage ones
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2075, hpi gt tires, servo mount