Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Wheelie King Scalers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Wheelie King Scalers

Okay, I am looking at picking up a wheelie king "roller" off Tower for cheap () and was wondering how well they can be made into "scalers." I got experience with my AX10 but was wondering if there was anything I needed to "really know" or, is it all just, pick one up and go from there.

I was thinking of either doing a custom chassis, or picking one up off the net. Read a few threads and I am guessing just use what I got and go from there

My plan is to use a Tamiya Cr-01 shell as my "size gauge" and go from there, I don't "plan" to run in comps but I will build it close to spec size for that though. I hear the diffs are good, is the transmission good or am I better off with one from like an AX10. Just wanted to know,
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

axles are a little wide for scale. and the trans is good if it has metal gears. otherwise it'll click, like mine does. other than that it's like any other, mostly.
roglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
RCC Addict

the axles are just about perfect for a new bright jk
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Hey dude
The sealed pinion and spur is a plus for sure. The stock nylon tranny gears are decent but metal ones are bullet proof...I still need to buy a set. Roglum is right the slipper does click under heavy load. As temp fix I glued mine together and that solved the problem.

I've got mine on the way to a semi-scaler.
Evandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
RCC Addict

ok, anyone know what the "assembled" version comes with or ? Thats all I really need to know, I am not going for the "ooh wow its a super trick scaler" (Axial land) but I want something cheap that I can have fun with friends on a trail with... I'd rather not let them use my AX10 rig till they get better
Old 05-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
ok, anyone know what the "assembled" version comes with or ? Thats all I really need to know, I am not going for the "ooh wow its a super trick scaler" (Axial land) but I want something cheap that I can have fun with friends on a trail with... I'd rather not let them use my AX10 rig till they get better
Assembled version has everything but electronics. I took mine and put it on a X trail chassis. Used the wk axles and tranny with a clocked motor plate. Used the stock axle links. Had to make my own skid.
Pics here.
X trail width
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenbelly View Post
Assembled version has everything but electronics. I took mine and put it on a X trail chassis. Used the wk axles and tranny with a clocked motor plate. Used the stock axle links. Had to make my own skid.
Pics here.
X trail width
Thanks a TON! I may go with an AX10 tranny if the "stock one" gives me to many problems but I love an engineering challenge also so Will work on ordering up one soon, should be a fun little project right
Old 05-31-2010, 03:18 AM   #8
Just jump it!

Quote:
Thanks a TON! I may go with an AX10 tranny if the "stock one" gives me to many problems but I love an engineering challenge also so Will work on ordering up one soon, should be a fun little project right
I really enjoy making my own stuff. If you need a clocked motor plate East end machining.com has them, along with alot of other WK goodies.
I never had any problems with the stock tranny till i started running 3 cell lipo and Holmes hobbies Motors.
I screwed the slipper together and it held ever since. I usally run the aluminum tranny gears from CKRC in them now.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Sounds cool, you think the car could hold up to a 4600 mamba (on 2S geared down mind you with a lot of limiting on the power ) to give the scaler some "pep" and power My plan is to have it with a "tank of water" and a pump, the idea is to copy a brush fire truck, and it adds to the fun if it can spray water, RIGHT
Old 05-31-2010, 11:48 PM   #10
Just jump it!

Quote:
Sounds cool, you think the car could hold up to a 4600 mamba (on 2S geared down mind you with a lot of limiting on the power ) to give the scaler some "pep" and power My plan is to have it with a "tank of water" and a pump, the idea is to copy a brush fire truck, and it adds to the fun if it can spray water, RIGHT
I think it would hold up ok. Its the ones that try to go fast that go thru parts real fast!!

A brush truck would be awesome. I would like to see it. I worked for CDF out of Julian, Ca back in the mid 90's. Kinda miss it once in awhile.

I did see a build somewhere were a guy had a spray rig setup. I think it was on Scale 4x4.com
Old 05-31-2010, 11:58 PM   #11
RCC Addict

My main idea is have enough power to get around, but yet have enough to just be able to goof around and have fun

Thanks for the complement, so far for a shell I have the Tamiya CR-01 Land Cruiser shell that (in my book) looks *wicked* for a brush truck but well see. I was thinking of my Pro Line Ambush shell but I decided not, its got to much open space to "look good" and it would be hard to find a driver to fit. I may change shells later but with the chassis I should be able to adjust the wheelbase accordingly

Out here in socal, trust me, getting fires out fast is huge, so any "little bit" I can do to help I am debating either a 2.2 or 1.9 "style" rig. Mind you the wheelbase is being made *around* the shell but, I got a set of Pro Line Gladiators for dirt cheap and I am thinking, for the time being, they may just do the trick for getting the power to the ground. The rest will be scrounged up stuff

I have made a successful pump "unit" using (I forget what) for a "tank" of water, a windshield washer pump, and the ESC for a small brushed motor to power the pump (we don't need it to suck water yet so... one way is fine) and an absolute NIGHTMARE of wires (), 2 ESC's, 2 batteries... don't ask how I crammed it into a small car but I did, overall it was pretty successful but I learned my lessons fast.

I am thinking of using either a cheap 4 or 6 channel 2.4 aircraft radio to operate the car, 2 channels for driving the car, and either 2 or 4 extra channels for "goodies":
Pump (one channel, variable?)
Lights (switched )
And anything else I add to there
(naturally the electronics are waterproofed for stream crossings...)

I guess I am lucky I know a few firemen soo.. maybe I can sweet talk them into letting me see their rigs or just keep browsing Youtube... till I get the gist of it
Old 06-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #12
Just jump it!

Sounds well thought out and ready to build. Will be keeping a eye out for a build thread!!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Lol yep, I just need to pull the trigger on the car With a few tower coupons, should take the bite out of the price Aah time to scrounge up stuff to sell
Old 06-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #14

i have a crawler king i love it it's not the best crawler but its a fun rig im looking for a body for mine but i've had a couple wk's there pretty fun
Swamp Duck is offline   Reply With Quote