Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Gear noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #1

Default Gear noise

I am starting to hear a 'click, click, click' noise coming from the gear box (unit where the spur gear attaches to) anyone else have these symptoms?
elitecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Sounds lick the "clicker" gear is dying. It clicks under stress to protect the other gears, and drivetrain. After a while it wears out and clicks all the time.

Double check to see if the clicking could be from the diffs - that can be the source too.

Heres the clicker

Check this mod:

Sexy EASY CLEAN Trans Slipper MOD
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Also check to make sure you haven't broken any teeth off ANY of your gears, tranny, spur/pinion, and ring and pinion in the axles. More than likely it is the clicker clutch as mentioned above.
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #4

Its coming from the clicker like you said. The spur/pinion are fine as well as the drive axles. What would get damaged if I kept running it like this? I can live w/ the clicking
Old 06-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitecrawler View Post
Its coming from the clicker like you said. The spur/pinion are fine as well as the drive axles. What would get damaged if I kept running it like this? I can live w/ the clicking
HPI designed it that way to let it "slip" so that too much stress isn't put on the teeth of the transmission gears and other drive components. It's great for bashing to protect those components but not so good when you're rock crawling as this slippage can prevent you from getting over that obstacle.

There is a sticky in this section about locking this slipper. WK Tranny Fix

I used Gorilla glue and a couple screws. Works great. You also can get aluminum gears and have the option of using a slipper or locking it out. It's on CKRC's website.
Cheers!

Last edited by Evandiego; 06-28-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Evandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

IMHO the HPI Blitz Slipper Clutch mod with a home glued/screwed clicker clutch is the best route to go ! There is a thread on how to do it, it was very simple and has proved to me very effective for my use. I have yet to break anything since I did the mod, and the best part is you can tighten the slipper as you BEEF up your drivetrain.
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evandiego View Post
HPI designed it that way to let it "slip" so that too much stress isn't put on the teeth of the transmission gears and other drive components. It's great for bashing to protect those components but not so good when you're rock crawling as this slippage can prevent you from getting over that obstacle.
In that case I'll leave it alone because I use the truck for mainly fun on the beach and some crawling it isn't just setup for crawling only

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitecrawler View Post
In that case I'll leave it alone because I use the truck for mainly fun on the beach and some crawling it isn't just setup for crawling only

Thanks!
Cool! So bashing and trailing is your thing. Eventually, the transmission gears will wear and some of those teeth will break off and you'll have to replace them. Once you do, I suggest getting the aluminum ones from CKRC and you'll be golden for awhile! They are 6061-T6 aluminum and the T6 stands for hardened. $30 for this set and you can set it up for slip or no slip. Stock nylon gears will cost you $12.
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/wk-alumi...ars-p-922.html
Cheers!
Evandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evandiego View Post
Cool! So bashing and trailing is your thing. Eventually, the transmission gears will wear and some of those teeth will break off and you'll have to replace them. Once you do, I suggest getting the aluminum ones from CKRC and you'll be golden for awhile! They are 6061-T6 aluminum and the T6 stands for hardened. $30 for this set and you can set it up for slip or no slip. Stock nylon gears will cost you $12.
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/wk-alumi...ars-p-922.html
Cheers!

Once it breaks that's when I'll fix it. Thanks!