Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Servo mount for "trail" rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #1

Default Servo mount for "trail" rig

I bought a Crawler King for my son ($119 at Tower). He is 6 years old and it is perfect for his monster truck obsession After his first drive with it, I adressed the torque twist by adding some fuel tubing inside the shocks and going to 40wt front fluid and 60 wt rear. It drives much better now. Next issue is the steering. I see various front servo mounts available, but I'd like to retain as much compression travel as possible. While he has some interest in basic crawling, he also likes to just bash and pund the truck around. This means he is occassionally catching some air, so the suspension is doing more than just side-to-side. I've seen the EEM and the CKRC setups. Without having them in front of me, I can't tell how each will affect the compressin travel available before the servo hits the battery compartment.

So, what setup will give me the best results for this? I may be interested in going 4-link also, so if that opens up any additional possibilities for the steering, let me know.

Thanks all!!
kazuaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuaki View Post
I bought a Crawler King for my son ($119 at Tower). He is 6 years old and it is perfect for his monster truck obsession After his first drive with it, I adressed the torque twist by adding some fuel tubing inside the shocks and going to 40wt front fluid and 60 wt rear. It drives much better now. Next issue is the steering. I see various front servo mounts available, but I'd like to retain as much compression travel as possible. While he has some interest in basic crawling, he also likes to just bash and pund the truck around. This means he is occassionally catching some air, so the suspension is doing more than just side-to-side. I've seen the EEM and the CKRC setups. Without having them in front of me, I can't tell how each will affect the compressin travel available before the servo hits the battery compartment.

So, what setup will give me the best results for this? I may be interested in going 4-link also, so if that opens up any additional possibilities for the steering, let me know.

Thanks all!!
Just get some extended links made for the WK or make some. As far as the servo mount either fab one, of buy one. Dont worry about the batt. compartment, I dont think any of us do (could be wrong), just havent read it.
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanantrdsc View Post
Just get some extended links made for the WK or make some.
Are we talking about replacing the upper and lower links? Aren't the Crawler King links already "extended"?
Old 07-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #4

Anybody else have input? The steering on this thing needs help
Old 07-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Upgrade the stock servo to a stronger hi speed hi torque servo, change the plastic steering components with aluminum so there is no play or slack in the steering linkage.
SpikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeX View Post
Upgrade the stock servo to a stronger hi speed hi torque servo, change the plastic steering components with aluminum so there is no play or slack in the steering linkage.
Would something like the STRC aluminum steering linkage even approach the perfermance of having the servo on the axle? I'd think it would still be inferior.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

It wont match it by any means, but it helps. Take it out with the stock steering linkage and when you get in binds or try and turn on an incline look closely and you will see the plastic parts flexing. It does help, my little brother didnt like how gaudy the soa looked so he got the strc aluminum and put a hi torque servo and a longer servo horn, it improved it over the stock set up.
SpikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Are we talking about replacing the upper and lower links? Aren't the Crawler King links already "extended"?

Oops, just uppers, so you have a 4-way link suspension
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanantrdsc View Post
Oops, just uppers, so you have a 4-way link suspension
Ah, OK. I ended up ordering the EEM 4-link kit.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Now you won't be able to have the stock steering though.

If I remember right the stock steering axle mount uses the same mounting holes as the EEM 4 link bracket.
TOMS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #11

I ended up cutting my own servoe bracket using the "JPSONOMA" template. It places the servoe super close to the top of the axle. It seems this is my best bet for good steering and minimal loss of travel.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #12

Default UPDATE w/Pics

I figured I'd post an update of what I ended up doing. This is the first crawler I've worked on, but not the first RC vehicle. I ended up making my own servo mount based on a template from this forum. I chose this design because the servo literally yas on the top of the axle, preserving as much clearance as possible. I also made all my own steering links and tie rods front and rear. I used Revo ends, 8-32 all thread, and stainless tubing. While I was at it, I installed a 4-link kit and Delrin lower links from EEM. I'm pretty happy with the way it all turned out and it steers SOOO much better now

FRONT

REAR

Did I make any major mistakes?
Old 07-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Thats interesting how you linked the rear lock out to the axle. Better than the stock location (less play), but I would worry about that stress on the axle housing cracking it.

What 4 link kit is that and do you notice much difference over the stock 3 link?
Mekong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #14

i really like that, well done. i find myself in the same boat as you. waiting on my servo mount to come in the mail... im interested in your findings with the 4-link kit, and a link wouldn't hurt either.

also, what servo saver is that? the stock? or is it just a horn that came with the servo?

-jon
jonmorehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekong View Post
Thats interesting how you linked the rear lock out to the axle. Better than the stock location (less play), but I would worry about that stress on the axle housing cracking it.

What 4 link kit is that and do you notice much difference over the stock 3 link?
I'm not sure where else I could have locked out the rear. The EEM 4-link bracket eliminates the stock mounting point for the lockout. So far it has been holding up very well. The EEM 4 link kit is nice. It seems a bit more controlled and the torque twist is reduced. It doesn't seem to have lost any articulation that I can tell. We haven't taken the new setup to any real rocks yet, but it drives great in the backyard and climbing bricks and stuff.

Here's a link to the 4-link kit:
http://www.eastendmachining.com/crki4kitsi1.html

And here are the cool Delrin lower links:
http://www.eastendmachining.com/crkideli.html
Old 07-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmorehouse View Post
also, what servo saver is that? the stock? or is it just a horn that came with the servo?
The servo saver is Kimbrough part #124.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #17

Quote:
The servo saver is Kimbrough part #124.
thank you very much
jonmorehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #18

Default Re: Servo mount for "trail" rig

HOLY thread resurrection Batman!

A BIG!!! shout out to "kazuaki"... without your post and pictures I would still be wondering how to tackle the mod on the cheap.

I too bought a Crawler King for my kids and have dealt with the abysmal steering. My search across the web led me here as most other fourms/threads are vague and without pictures.

I am very happy with the results from my ghetto fantabulous follow along.

Purchased the servo off eBay ($10). Its a cheap "TowardPro" (as opposed to TowerPro) metal gear variety with TONS of torque. It gets a bad rep across the internet, but for a crawler - its just right - I have not encountered any centering issues at all. I dont think I would put it into my Blitz's or anything that goes airborne though.

Bought the mounting plate off eBay as well, the usual price, approx. $15 shipped. Its a Wheely King axle mounting plate but the CK and WK share the same axles...perfect fit.

I simply used the included servo horns and screws to my liking and this is what you have. It works AWESOME! Yes, McGuyver'ed like this works, and it works well. Its just a simple hole drilled into the steering link after being marked by hand quickly. The stock steering linkage is so flexible it actually helps. The thing bashes like hell now, its almost unstoppable and the crawling is now what it should have been out of the box. Its the best of both worlds for little ones just entering the hobby. Its fast enough to go at a good walking pace but if you need to slow it down and crawl its ready

I'lll address the 4-link upgrade soon but it does fine as its pictured and nothing is in the way. I also put 40w oil all the way around in the shocks and torque twist to the right is almost non existent. It wheelies better and more correct now.

Total cost for everything to make it happen.... $25 bucks

Last edited by TheWalkingDude; 05-08-2012 at 11:01 AM.
TheWalkingDude is offline   Reply With Quote