Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: How can i make my crawler king have 4 Wheel steering???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #1

Default How can i make my crawler king have 4 Wheel steering???

I have had my crawler king for about a year now. And i have done mods to it, just little things here and there.
But one thing that i want to do is make it have 4 wheel steering.

I know i need another axle servo mount, another servo.

But what else do i have to do????
HPI sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
rik
RCC Addict

Off the top of my head..you'll need.. A servo, servo mount, knuckles, steering links, and depending on what kind of TX you using, you may need a Y splitter for the servo's (if using a 2 ch tx) if your using a 3 ch TX (with the 3rd ch being a three position) you won't need the Y splitter. The 3 ch willl give you independent control for each servo. If I forgot anything someone chime in...hope this helps.
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
Off the top of my head..you'll need.. A servo, servo mount, knuckles, steering links, and depending on what kind of TX you using, you may need a Y splitter for the servo's (if using a 2 ch tx) if your using a 3 ch TX (with the 3rd ch being a three position) you won't need the Y splitter. The 3 ch willl give you independent control for each servo. If I forgot anything someone chime in...hope this helps.
why would you need knuckles? you do realize the rear end has steering knuckles. that is how the lockout is.
rcfreak363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #4

well my reciever has a therd "slot". i tried to plug in a traxxas sevo and nothing happened. What did i do wrong? it fit in correctly
Old 12-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Just because there is a slot on your receiver doesn't mean its for that. You need to get a controller that has a 3rd channel.

I bought this set
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXRL8&P=ML

Just add your servo's and your GTG.

With this setup you can control just the front, just the rear, both turning the same, both turning opposite.
TOMS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
rik
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak363 View Post
why would you need knuckles? you do realize the rear end has steering knuckles. that is how the lockout is.
yup, i know that.. but as stated in the original post, he "did some mods here and there." though, he didnt say what mods he did. i didnt know if he made lock-outs or not, or if he bought the rig new or used, ect, ect.. and the lock outs are super easy to make.. just trying to give the guy some info...
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #7

Where can i get two new servos, that are pretty cheep. And im going to order that radio tonight and the turning linkage. I just made two new axle servo mounts. So now i just need the servos, and to put it all together. Do i need to do anything to the crystals? or is that what that controller dose?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If you order the controller then you can get two of their servo's.

The front servo will have one plug into the receiver and the rear will plug into a different hole on the receiver.

YOu can reuse the stock one so you only really need one for the rear. I ordered two of the Futuba ones when I ordered my radio.

That radio doesn't have crystals. It will work A LOT better and ZERO interference.

Once you have it all setup you go through the menu on the radio and turn on 4ws. From that point there is a switch where your thumb would be to switch steering between the 4 settings.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I got two of these.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFKZ7