Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Crawler King Shocks/steering servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #1

Default Crawler King Shocks/steering servo

Well, after just 1 weekend playing with my new CK, looks as if I have busted my front left shock. Oh well. I was already looking to upgrade shocks and springs anyways. Any suggestions?

Also, I am wanting to go ahead and upgrade to the center mount steering servo mod, by using the East End Machining diff mount. What other linkages will I need to perform this? I will also, at the same time modify the plastic steering linkages to metal. I feel the plastic is quite flimsy, and along with the poor servo placement, affects steering quite heavily as well.

Thanks in advance!
vtelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I am a new owner of a used CK so I'm new to crawling but not to Rc. The first thing i did was to replace the steering! I've never seen a funkier set up that what is stock! I got the template from this forum and made my axle mount and I used 8/32 all thread and 1/4 in brass tubing with large tmaxx rod ends. I used brass because its all i could find at the time and so far has held up wonderfully and its easy to cut with a small tubing cutter (the kind used for copper pipes). I also made the rear steer lock outs and four link suspension brackets and rods. The four link nearly eliminates torque twist, I would highly recomend this mod!
Very easy to do with simple tools and the parts are cheap. I think all of it was under 20 bucks including hardware- I had to use 4-40 because 3mm is hard to come by around here for some reason but it works just fine with no noticeable slop. So far so good with my stock shocks but I also see alluminum shocks in the near future.
Still trying to get pics posted here! Ahh figured it out!

Last edited by bluenosegoat; 01-03-2011 at 10:42 AM.
bluenosegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #3

bluenosegoat, please post up pics asap. I love home remedies to stuff like this. I am new to crawling as well...but not to RC, just like yourself. I had a tmaxx before this. Thanks!
vtelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Got the pic thing figured out finally! I know I should become a paying member.......... Neat though that it links you to my photo bucket when you click on the pic! Technology- how cool!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtelvr View Post
bluenosegoat, please post up pics asap. I love home remedies to stuff like this. I am new to crawling as well...but not to RC, just like yourself. I had a tmaxx before this. Thanks!
Theres a couple pics there now. The steering mount is very easy to make. I made mine out of steel and the the four link brackets out of alluminum (I've got all kinds of materials around my tinkering shop) I didnt think the four link would make that much of a difference but it really helps with torque twist along with heavier oil and stiffer spring setting in the rear. I tried tmaxx springs to find they are to stiff so stock springs with a spacer up top to stiffen them up a little works good so far with 60wt oil. As far as making the links just carefully measure and use the stock connecting rods as a basis and its very simple. I've since found stainless steel tubing but the brass is holding up just fine so I'll stick with it and it looks kinda cool too I think!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Bluenosegoat -

Nice lock-outs! Gonna have to grab some AL and 2 Traxxas turnbuckles and do that for my WK trail truck.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

question for you guys with the crawler kings....what is the length of the shocks from eye to eye?
ae racer is offline   Reply With Quote