Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Crawler King Suspension Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Crawler King Suspension Question

Hello everyone! My problem with crawler king is the suspension with the original shocks and springs. They are ridiculously soft,at full throttle the truck changes it's route over bumps, and the lexan was destroyed from the wheels! I bought the aluminum ones from hpi and i am wondering about the type of silicone shock oil,in cSt, and furthermore shall i use stiffer springs (yellow or blue)? The suspension travel is (77mm-117mm).I still want to use it as a crawler and maybe later use the 15T firebolt motor as an alternative for some (brushed) speedruns.All suggestions or combinations are greatly welcomed!!!
Thank you in advance!!!!
1979crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I imagine you've gotten your answer already from reading other posts but it seems at least for crawling with WK/CK heavier oil in the rear with stiffer springs and med oil up front with soft springs works pretty good. I just put some 3 1/2 in Losi shocks on the rear of mine (from my old race truck) with 50wt oil and with the four link it shows no torque twist at all while climbing and the new shock location gives me about an extra 1/2in of articulation. I use the stock shocks up front (will need to be replaced soon though) with the stock soft springs and 30wt oil and the truck performs very nicely. Ps unless you have a different speed control from stock be carefull with the modified motors- not to mention the drivetrain!

Last edited by bluenosegoat; 01-21-2011 at 07:13 AM.
bluenosegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I see,thank you for the reply!!!This forum has been very very helpful indeed.I'll definitely give it a shot and let you know.The new shock position is pretty good for the articulation,i just tried it!I use the stock speed control and motor,local rc market doesn't provide me many options...
Old 01-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The purple springs are nice. Motor wise I think Id stick closer to a 19t, 17t max.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I just got the chance to run my new 3s lipo yesterday and wow what a difference. I only use my truck for crawling but with 11.1v now I have all the wheel speed I need and torque to spare with a 55t motor. I also did the slipper mod to help keep me from breaking axles and I'm glad I did with the new found power! Way better than 2s or 6cell nimh.
I also have that 15t firebolt motor you mentioned for my old race truck- its a cheap mod motor (closed endbell and bushings) but works good. I dont use it much but that might be a bit much for the drivetrain of the WK for speed runs.
bluenosegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I run the Firebolt 15t in my WK with the crawler conversion and its a friggin hoot, especially on 2s, I've launched it off hillsides and it just keeps goin the only time I seem to break dogbones is when I run into another r/c or they run into me lol! I dont have the diffs locked and I have the hot racing metal gears in the tranny so that helps alot. Ive gotten real good at riding on two wheels like a stunt show and it sometimes pulls wheelys again with the 2s even though its totally converted with the batt up front and servo on the axle and the stretched wheelbase so I know it would do wheelys with 3s lol! Its a blast go ahead and run it you will like it!
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:48 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks a lot guys,you've been very helpful!!!