Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Made a widow chassis for my CK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Made a widow chassis for my CK

I had some time on my hands and an itch to tinker so I used the templates I found on this forum for the widow chassis. I made the clocked motor plate when I installed the slipper clutch with intentions for this chassis and it fit very nicely. Motor is inside the frame and very little of the tranny sticks out the other side at the top. Used some Wal Mart cutting board material for the skid and braces- was going to use alluminum but what a chore with the jigsaw and files! Body is mounted with really strong velcro (the wings sticking out of the frame) and so is the battery- well see how it does on the rocks today! I cant wait!
bluenosegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

So I've had the truck out a few times now on the rocks and I'm very happy with it. I think it would do better with some better tires as my stock tires have no foams and with the air holes plugged seem a little better but bouncy. I took a couple short video clips of the last outing-
http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/...idowshorts.mp4
Not the best video but fun!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #3

looks good could you do some side pics
trail king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trail king View Post
looks good could you do some side pics
Here are a few side shots- I need to take some current ones as I've changed the shocks again. I am also going to ditch the velcro body mounts-tired of adjusting it after a roll over-it works but is getting looser every time out. I also made a motor heat sink, not the prettiest but sure helps when climbing for an hour straight!

Last edited by bluenosegoat; 01-31-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

So I got my shocks figured out- tmaxx shocks all the way around- just need a slightly stiffer spring in the rear. I had two full sets of the tmaxx shocks in a box i forgot about! I put on a set of Rovers and wow man what a difference! You can see in the pics the motor heat sink I made- not real pretty but very functional. Brought my temps down by almost 30 degrees and also the added piece to my battery mount. Its just a little taller than the battery to help protect it. I had to relocate the front shocks on taller brackets to bring them inside as the rovers are a little wider than stock CK tires and they would rub at full steer/articulation. The truck is really crawling well. I would like a r2 tranny with a dig but I'm afraid that without a slipper and all the traction the rovers offer I will be breaking driveline parts. Time for a new build with stronger axles, or at least upgradeable axles!!!! But for now I stumped the axial crew. Out did them on every line today! So much for the 50 dollar ebay Ck and a little time and ingenuity!

Last edited by bluenosegoat; 02-10-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Put a little more work into my CK/ Widow. I didnt realize it but it was only 12in long so I made longer rear links to extend the truck to 12.5 in. The longer links required me to find a longer rear drive shaft. I found that one of my old Tmaxx axles works perfectly! I also spread the rear links some more and run the battery on the rear- was way to nose heavy. The truck before these latest changes was almost able to keep up with my Venom Creeper so I'm really anxious to get back to the rocks and see how this set up works!
I also have an axial tranny to put in but just havent had the time. I am suprised though all the times I've had the trucks out the CK is the only one to have no breakdowns!
Attached Images