Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: wk 4 wheel steer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #1

Default wk 4 wheel steer

hey guys i have the wheely king obviously and need to know the easiest, cheapest way to have 4 wheel steer. thanks in advance
jesse
jesseb251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

A Traxxas 3-4 channel receiver. The 4-ch is better cause its a micro. A Traxxas TQ-3 3-3h transmitter. A "y" harness with a trim pot. A servo, mount, and whatever else you need to take care of the steering linkage.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Four wheel steer on the cheap for me was. A "Y" servo adapter and reversed servo. Also a servo mount and linkage for rear axle. Run front and rear servos on the same channel using the "Y" adapter. Simple and clean. No independent control, but you do get rear steering. It'll change your driving habits. Especially if you over volt and go fast . When you get tired of lacking independent control. Upgrade to a better radio with more channels . Then run the rear servo to your extra channel. Removing the "Y" adapter.

------Ideas------

REVERSED SERVO:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Servo-Reverse

Y HARNESS:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL309&P=0

STEERING KIT:
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ckrc-alu...2e83cf8035224b

OVERKILL BETTER RADIO:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...614FF-Receiver
uplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplate View Post
Four wheel steer on the cheap for me was. A "Y" servo adapter and reversed servo. Also a servo mount and linkage for rear axle. Run front and rear servos on the same channel using the "Y" adapter. Simple and clean. No independent control, but you do get rear steering. It'll change your driving habits. Especially if you over volt and go fast . When you get tired of lacking independent control. Upgrade to a better radio with more channels . Then run the rear servo to your extra channel. Removing the "Y" adapter.

------Ideas------

REVERSED SERVO:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Servo-Reverse

Y HARNESS:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL309&P=0

STEERING KIT:
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ckrc-alu...2e83cf8035224b

OVERKILL BETTER RADIO:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...614FF-Receiver
thanks bro, do i have to use the high torque servo? and my receiver has 2 channel 1's so i plug one servo in to one of the channel ones and the other servo into the other channel one correct? thanks so much
jesse
Old 01-31-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

2 channel 1's are for 2 servos. and yes you want a HT servo
Old 02-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
2 channel 1's are for 2 servos. and yes you want a HT servo
ok man thanks, i have a traxxas waterproof servo along with traxxas waterproof electronics, so a traxxas waterproof servo wouldnt work? if so why not? thanks again alot.
jesse
Old 02-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

If a Traxxas 2075 servo will do what you need it too, go for it. I love TRX elecs. WP makes em even better. I get around a drag brake by using an HPI gear reduction unit - on my crawler - a mutant with a lot of WK parts.

My WK trail truck has a WP XL-5, WP box w/micro rx, WP 2075 servo, a TQ-3 radio, and a 35t or 55t motor (depends on my mood).
Old 02-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #8

Quote:
If a Traxxas 2075 servo will do what you need it too, go for it. I love TRX elecs. WP makes em even better. I get around a drag brake by using an HPI gear reduction unit - on my crawler - a mutant with a lot of WK parts.

My WK trail truck has a WP XL-5, WP box w/micro rx, WP 2075 servo, a TQ-3 radio, and a 35t or 55t motor (depends on my mood).
ok im pretty sure it will do. i have XL-5 WP 2075 servo, TQ-3 radio and a 27t with a gear reduction. how fast is the 55t cause mine should be coming in the mailbox tomorrow lol. thanks bro.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseb251 View Post
ok im pretty sure it will do. i have XL-5 WP 2075 servo, TQ-3 radio and a 27t with a gear reduction. how fast is the 55t cause mine should be coming in the mailbox tomorrow lol. thanks bro.
You have good taste!

The 55t is pretty good, I find the 35t fast enough, but not enough torque.
I would not put the GRU on eother, but I do wonder what it would be like to take say an Orion Method R 21t, and put the GRU on it.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #10

Quote:
You have good taste!

I would not put the GRU on eother, but I do wonder what it would be like to take say an Orion Method R 21t, and put the GRU on it.
yeh thanks bro. how about the 55t, enough torque? i tryed a traxxas 20 turn and it wouldnt even spin the gru.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I switched to the 55t for the increase in torque. Its on a trail, so I would want more umph for a crawler, but compared to the 35t, I lost a little speed, but gained a noticeable amount of torque. As far as the TRX 20t, let me guess, a gutless, stinky, Stinger!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #12

Quote:
I switched to the 55t for the increase in torque. Its on a trail, so I would want more umph for a crawler, but compared to the 35t, I lost a little speed, but gained a noticeable amount of torque. As far as the TRX 20t, let me guess, a gutless, stinky, Stinger!
ha ok well how about this comparing the stock 27t with gear reduction and the 55t just motor what is speed and torque difference? and lol yes, would the orion turn it?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The 55t is much faster. Torque you cannot even compare. The GRU makes the ration175:1. The 27t and gru maybe slow, but the grunt is just plane ridiculous. I love it! I do not see changing my setup. Plus the GRU is geared so low, you get a drag brake out of it too!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #14

Quote:
The 55t is much faster. Torque you cannot even compare. The GRU makes the ration175:1. The 27t and gru maybe slow, but the grunt is just plane ridiculous. I love it! I do not see changing my setup. Plus the GRU is geared so low, you get a drag brake out of it too!
ok sorry to keep this going on and on bro but like does it have enough torque to pull stuff on carpet and spin'em over easily. thanks alotttt. and yes drag brake is very awsome.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

When I first put it together, I was running it in the house. Was fiddling with the trim. Ended up crawling up a box fan. Fan fell over, flipped the truck on its back, and landed on the truck. I hit reverse, the wheels pushed the fan back up, the crawler drove down the front of the fan at the same times, and drove on
Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #16

Quote:
When I first put it together, I was running it in the house. Was fiddling with the trim. Ended up crawling up a box fan. Fan fell over, flipped the truck on its back, and landed on the truck. I hit reverse, the wheels pushed the fan back up, the crawler drove down the front of the fan at the same times, and drove on
ha ok bro well the motor didnt come today so lets wait some more i guess lol. thanks for everything man.
jesse
Old 02-02-2011, 03:57 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
You have good taste!

I would not put the GRU on either, but I do wonder what it would be like to take say an Orion Method R 21t, and put the GRU on it.
...since you mentioned an Orion GRU combo...
I put my Orion X11 5.5t 8,100kV brushless motor on my GRU just for fun, talk about torque AND speed! The X11 is a on road race motor I found laying in a discount box at the LHS for next to nothing.
Army RC Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote