Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: steering servo suggestions and info please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #1

Default steering servo suggestions and info please

i just bought a HPi crawler king and as im sure you all know the steering sucks. my problem is i know almost nothing about servos and i need a little help on what servo will fit in the stock place that also has more power and will work with the stock electronics. i do wana keep the servo in the stock place and probly just get the stronger links for the extra power of a better servo.

i also wana keep the cost kinda low on the new servo.

and if you cant help me out with that. will a traxxas 2075 fit in the stock place and work with my stock electronics? i ask because i have seen many pics of these in my search for the anwser to my first qestion and see alot of people use them on the front axle but thats not the stock location and i dont know if them guys have the stock electronics.

thanks guys and im sorry if this has been asked before but i havent found any threads with the anwsers im looking for.
123crawlerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #2

yeah that servo will fit.i have used it off my stampede . i use the hitecth 645 on mine with stock electronics.. and not 1 problem.

iknow you said you dont wanna move it from the stock location but
best thing you can find to improve the steering is make some new links and make your self a bracket above the axle even with stock servo you will find a huge improvement and your only looking at maybe $5.00 at homedepot. and a hacksaw,tin snips,file

ps i used the better servos in the stock set up and it SUCKED alot of bending:flipof f:

Last edited by bigbronco89; 04-20-2011 at 04:41 PM.
bigbronco89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbronco89 View Post
yeah that servo will fit.i have used it off my stampede . i use the hitecth 645 on mine with stock electronics.. and not 1 problem.

iknow you said you dont wanna move it from the stock location but
best thing you can find to improve the steering is make some new links and make your self a bracket above the axle even with stock servo you will find a huge improvement and your only looking at maybe $5.00 at homedepot. and a hacksaw,tin snips,file

ps i used the better servos in the stock set up and it SUCKED alot of bending:flipof f:
did you use the stock HPI electronics with the traxxas 2075? i checked out that hitecth 645 it looks like it puts out more power then the traxxas with a lower price. that sounds even better to me. thanks for that suggestion will the hitectch 645 fit in the stock location as well?

i think im gona get the aluminum steering links that keeps the servo in the stock place but shouldnt bend then.

my idea with this thing is to run a 20T or so motor and lower the front for some sweet hill climbing and on the crappy days use the stock 55T motor to crawl around the house with. but if i put the servo on the front axle i wont beable to get the front as low as i want and im scared of busting it when i hit something hard. i didnt really want just a crawler i wanted something i could make kinda fast but still able to do some mild crawling. thats why i picked this truck. the E savage or Emax is just to fast for the room i have to play and they dont crawl worth a crap. the wheely king would of been great but all the changes it woulda needed to be able to mildly crawl like this one. it just seemed ezyer/cheaper to make this one faster.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #4

yeah the hitech 645 will fit in the stock location no problem + its got all metal gears
wheres the traxxxas is plastic

as far with the 20t motor im not 100%sure but i think the esc states it cant handle that low of a turn motor .. i bought a 27t to use in mine ...fast enough cause with these things they will just roll when you turn with to much..
mine i dont crawl alot with its more of just a have fun drive over and through anything rig..
but plan on spending more cash when you get the itch for new tires and abody..
Old 04-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #5

Quote:
yeah the hitech 645 will fit in the stock location no problem + its got all metal gears

as far with the 20t motor im not 100%sure but i think the esc states it cant handle that low of a turn motor .. i bought a 27t to use in mine ...fast enough cause with these things they will just roll when you turn with to much..
mine i dont crawl alot with its more of just a have fun drive over and through anything rig..
yea i seen that hitech had metal gears. i think thats what i will go with then. sounds the best so far.

i thought i read some where that a 20T motor was the limit on the esc but i maybe wrong to. i will check on that before i buy a motor tho. 27T mite be just anough tho. i also have a motor out of a old car that i mite use. i will have to pull it apart and find out if it is high anough turn to use tho. first thing is steering tho. gota get that fixed.

yea i plan on a new body for it to. allready broke the stock one lol im sure after time i will end up with plenty of money in it just dont want to do it all at once. gota save money for this hobby. also gota fix my wifes truck to and gear hers lower so it stops burning up motors.

thanks for your help man
Old 04-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The Hitec servo should have 1 plastic gear in it. All the ones I have seen have had one. The Traxxas is waterproof, which is an advantage, but lacks as much torque, and has metal gears. Traxxas does make replacement gear sets.

The servo really needs to go on the front axle
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:

the hitech sounds like what i will go with.

i thought i read some where i could go to a 20 turn motor but im not 100% on that ether. i will check into it before i do it. a 27T motor will probly do what i want tho. im just gona have to do some more research before i start buying motors.

i will some day get anether body of a pickup later down the road and i allreay broke the jeep body lol

also i did find a servo mount that goes on the axle but it is to one side insted of right on top in the center. now that mite work with my lower front end. got any idea what i mite have to mod for that type of axle mount? will i have to do anything with the top axle link?

thanks for all your help
Old 04-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #8

the hitech sounds like what i will go with.

i thought i read some where i could go to a 20 turn motor but im not 100% on that ether. i will check into it before i do it. a 27T motor will probly do what i want tho. im just gona have to do some more research before i start buying motors.

i will some day get anether body of a pickup later down the road and i allreay broke the jeep body lol

also i did find a servo mount that goes on the axle but it is to one side insted of right on top in the center. now that mite work with my lower front end. got any idea what i mite have to mod for that type of axle mount? will i have to do anything with the top axle link?

thanks for all your help
Old 04-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #9

mines is mounted above the pumpkin. but i think the one on side just calls to move the shock all the way back.. not to sure tho.. some one should be able to give you a 100% answer
Old 04-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
The Hitec servo should have 1 plastic gear in it. All the ones I have seen have had one. The Traxxas is waterproof, which is an advantage, but lacks as much torque, and has metal gears. Traxxas does make replacement gear sets.

The servo really needs to go on the front axle

ok 1 plastic gear so sue me!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

don't know if this will help you but this is how my servo is mounted its above the pumkin using Kevin Jowetts servo mount.
I'm also using a HiTEC 645MG

Last edited by Statix; 04-21-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Statix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
ok 1 plastic gear so sue me!
No, thats not a bad thing. It provides a weak link, so the other stuff doesnt break. Cheap and easy to replace.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #13

Quote:

i checked the book and it says the limit on this esc is 20t so i bought one and put it in and wow this little bugger moves for a crawler lol it does some really cool hill climbs and just the right speed for what i wanted it to do.

i kinda gave up on slow crawling it just seems more fun to climb stuff a little faster. i still havent done anything for a new steering servo but so far with the extra fast climbing i have been doing the steering does good anough for now. im looking into that spectrum DX3E that comes with a servo and maybe that servo will do anough for what i want?

next on the list is a E firestorm flux for when we go to a more open area.

again thanks for your help
Old 05-30-2011, 01:01 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I used that spectrum servo for my T4, Dont think you would be happy putting it your WK.
new2this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

The 27t should be plenty fast.