Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: big wheel question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Post big wheel question

I don't do competition just crawl in the creekbed by my house. I have a new set of stock savage wheels I thought of putting on for ground clearance. Alot of post are against bigger tires on the wheely king. Beside adaptors to widen for clearance is there a issue why bigger wheels are not recommended. Does anybody have pros or cons for me to consider
drkuhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkuhar View Post
I don't do competition just crawl in the creekbed by my house. I have a new set of stock savage wheels I thought of putting on for ground clearance. Alot of post are against bigger tires on the wheely king. Beside adaptors to widen for clearance is there a issue why bigger wheels are not recommended. Does anybody have pros or cons for me to consider
Just like 1:1 rigs when you add larger OD tires, it puts more stress on the drivetrain making it easier to break parts, and reduces your crawl power, just like 1:1 trucks gear reduction brings back your torque, but again the added size and weight of larger tires is harder on the drivetrain and parts. I would not widen it, just trim fender, axle extensions will only increase the chance of breaking parts.

With that being said... I added 38" tires to my 1:1 rig, and I ordered a set of Clod buster tires and wheels for my Crawler king for winter. It all depends on how you drive your rig and what you want to accomplish. My long box crew cab HD Chevy is a fun truck, but to make it a good off road rig I needed to lift it and put 38" tires. The Crawler King is awesome with the stock tires, I will mainly run it with stock size or smaller crawling, but at the end of the day run what you want. Just be ready to replace parts when you bash with larger tires, I break shit all the time on my 1:1 (pictured below) but it's almost too much fun and most times worth it...

nut_up_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkuhar View Post

Almost forgot.... The pros are it will look bad ass and yes you will gain ground clearance
Old 09-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #4

drop your pinion two teeth and pick up some clod wheels and tires and a set of traxxas 2.2 wheels the traxxas wheels fit down in the clod wheel nice and tight and with some glue they are there to stay and then you just sand or dremel the remaing sticking out traxxae wheel.

in the end you have a cheap WK to clod adapter a wheel widener adapter and of coarse a way wider tire wich means way more stability just measure your stock outer rear wheel to wheel distance on the Wk and then add the clod wheels and tires with the 2.2 wheel as an adapter and the WK starts to look like more like a 1/8 scale MT.

I would also suggest getting some longer links upper and lower along with some traxxas T-maxx drive shaft's and stetching it.

I am doing an all aluminum brushless one at the moment and this thing is looking sick already just waiting on a few more links to come in and the assembly will be pretty much complete.

here's what I got going on so far

4951X traxxas T-maxx long half shafts
4928X traxxas t-maxx diff output yokes
Traxxas 126mm 5mm revo Tie Rods/Toe Links
integy purple alloy tvp
wk kit
imex 2.2 Rubicon medium tires (set of two)
3Racing 2.2 Rock Crawler Beadlocks w/Center Caps
X6 hot racing aluminum chassis links brace
x2 Integy Complete Alloy Front Axle Purple/Silver
INTEGY silver alloy Roll Cage Handle for Wheely King
INTEGY purple alloy Motor Heatsink Plate+Cover
Traxxas 5139 Turnbuckles Re 116mm T-Mx 2.5
INTEGY T8111S ALUM SHOCK TOWERS SILVER
manual
east end machining Crawler King 4 Link Brackets - Silver
hot racing Wheely King 12mm aluminum hex hubs
rcwd billet aluminum gear box case
INTEGY Purple willy bar set makin a custom bumper no wheely bar use
X2 Ofna: Heavy Duty Servo Saver w/CNC Top
X2 CPE: CPE-SER4: CYS Hi-torque Metal Gear Servo
Castle creations Sidewinder SV2 ESC
robinson racing 21 tooth 48 pitch pinion
X2 iNTEGY Piggyback MSR11 Rock Crawler Shock Set 128mm
32 M3 cpe conical washers
X4 GPM long purple alloy body post
hot racing aluminum gear adapter
X3 Traxxas #4363 3X12MM Ball Screws Lower Shocks
castle 4600kv mamba motor
catle 1400kv colling fan

still more to add but what I got going on so far.

I may not be using the revo link's though I am waiting on some different more hard core links to come in to see if I can get them traxxas driveshafte in without having to cut them and shotting for around a 16" wheel base with clod tire's.
northerngames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The above posts seem to cover most issues. You should look at some hardened gears if you go with bigger tires. I personally have given up on trying to keep gears in my wk axles. I haven't been very lucky running big tires but I had lots of power going to them. Change the gear ratio to match the weight and diameter of the tires but be careful with the torque and speed. I'm going back to tall 2.2s and bashing. Hope it works out better for you though. Good luck.
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
MSB
Quarry Creeper

I use the wide wheelbase RPM maxx revolvers and narrow them on the inside and don't have any clearance issues using bigger tires. I don't have crazy power, but am geared down enough to crawl and I haven't had many breakage problems that I wouldn't consider my fault.
MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:08 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerngames View Post
drop your pinion two teeth and pick up some clod wheels and tires and a set of traxxas 2.2 wheels the traxxas wheels fit down in the clod wheel nice and tight and with some glue they are there to stay and then you just sand or dremel the remaing sticking out traxxae wheel.

in the end you have a cheap WK to clod adapter a wheel widener adapter and of coarse a way wider tire wich means way more stability just measure your stock outer rear wheel to wheel distance on the Wk and then add the clod wheels and tires with the 2.2 wheel as an adapter and the WK starts to look like more like a 1/8 scale MT.

I would also suggest getting some longer links upper and lower along with some traxxas T-maxx drive shaft's and stetching it.

I am doing an all aluminum brushless one at the moment and this thing is looking sick already just waiting on a few more links to come in and the assembly will be pretty much complete.

here's what I got going on so far

4951X traxxas T-maxx long half shafts
4928X traxxas t-maxx diff output yokes
Traxxas 126mm 5mm revo Tie Rods/Toe Links
integy purple alloy tvp
wk kit
imex 2.2 Rubicon medium tires (set of two)
3Racing 2.2 Rock Crawler Beadlocks w/Center Caps
X6 hot racing aluminum chassis links brace
x2 Integy Complete Alloy Front Axle Purple/Silver
INTEGY silver alloy Roll Cage Handle for Wheely King
INTEGY purple alloy Motor Heatsink Plate+Cover
Traxxas 5139 Turnbuckles Re 116mm T-Mx 2.5
INTEGY T8111S ALUM SHOCK TOWERS SILVER
manual
east end machining Crawler King 4 Link Brackets - Silver
hot racing Wheely King 12mm aluminum hex hubs
rcwd billet aluminum gear box case
INTEGY Purple willy bar set makin a custom bumper no wheely bar use
X2 Ofna: Heavy Duty Servo Saver w/CNC Top
X2 CPE: CPE-SER4: CYS Hi-torque Metal Gear Servo
Castle creations Sidewinder SV2 ESC
robinson racing 21 tooth 48 pitch pinion
X2 iNTEGY Piggyback MSR11 Rock Crawler Shock Set 128mm
32 M3 cpe conical washers
X4 GPM long purple alloy body post
hot racing aluminum gear adapter
X3 Traxxas #4363 3X12MM Ball Screws Lower Shocks
castle 4600kv mamba motor
catle 1400kv colling fan

still more to add but what I got going on so far.

I may not be using the revo link's though I am waiting on some different more hard core links to come in to see if I can get them traxxas driveshafte in without having to cut them and shotting for around a 16" wheel base with clod tire's.

Good to know, awesome info.