Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: 2.2 scale build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2.2 scale build thread

here is a few pics from the STR ride at lamar hill
sweet tunnel they dug out

-

awesome drop-off

-

waiting to hit the next obstacle
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy23jordan23 View Post
i do to, i jsut went to a scale trail runners event and wanted to have a more scale looke to it. the caddy is gonna be my everyday basher, once i get my replacement trans
I will get something posted up for you later on upgrading some of the gears to metal.
stolps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolps View Post
I will get something posted up for you later on upgrading some of the gears to metal.
That would be great, I've got a new complete stock tranny, got it for cheap, couldn't pass it up,on the way but,I would like to upgrade one of them to steel
Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I have gone through at least a dozen of the top two gears, and have never stripped the bottom one. I used pinions to replace the top two. I have pictures and part numbers somewhere, just can't find them right now. I will keep looking and post more info.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Ok, here are some pics. I will find the part #'s and measurements but this will give you an idea.

I used the stripped out gear as a spacer on the top shaft, ground a small flat for the set screw to tighten on, and put the e-clip back on to keep proper alignment. The middle shaft is cut from a piece of 5mm rod I had, but you could us a drill bit or something close to 5mm and make it work.

On the middle shaft I put a spacer on each side of the gear to keep the shaft centered in the bearings, probably not necessary but I wanted to make sure it was done right.

Here you can see it assembled, this mod eliminates the "slipper" clutch in the process. I still use the stock plastic bottom gear, like I said earlier, I have never stripped one of those out. So far I have abused this setup quite a bit with the 27t on 3s and have had no issues.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolps View Post
Ok, here are some pics. I will find the part #'s and measurements but this will give you an idea.

I used the stripped out gear as a spacer on the top shaft, ground a small flat for the set screw to tighten on, and put the e-clip back on to keep proper alignment. The middle shaft is cut from a piece of 5mm rod I had, but you could us a drill bit or something close to 5mm and make it work.

On the middle shaft I put a spacer on each side of the gear to keep the shaft centered in the bearings, probably not necessary but I wanted to make sure it was done right.

Here you can see it assembled, this mod eliminates the "slipper" clutch in the process. I still use the stock plastic bottom gear, like I said earlier, I have never stripped one of those out. So far I have abused this setup quite a bit with the 27t on 3s and have had no issues.

Thanks a ton man, this definatly looks like the way to go and would hold up a lot better to more power
Old 01-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I used a 15t mod1 pinion Dynamite #2635 for the top gear and 22t mod1 pinion Integy #23176 for the middle gear. Those were the gears I could find easily, but looking a little harder I found the Hot Bodies gears #67579 and #67566 have an even better mesh with each other and the plastic gear.

Also, I cut the 5mm shaft for the middle gear to 1.140" long. You will have to remove the little plastic reducer bushing in the bearings for this shaft.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #28
RCC Addict

sweet man thanks again for the info, figure out what caused it to strip, i ordered new bearing for the axles last week and the came in today, took apart the axle and 4 bearings were shot, three up front and one in the back, replaced them all with new, put in a emaxx driveshaft in the rear and axial supersoft red springs all around, so hopefully ill get the new tranny tomorrow, and ill start to shop around for those pinions, those will definatly be needed once i put in a new powerplant and esc combo
Old 01-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #29
RCC Addict

well i did a little more tweaking on it this weeks reworked the skid plate to incorporate the lower links to get my wheelbase back down to under 13 inches, installed internal springs on the stock shock to run a droop setup to keep the COG down, put on some axial hub covers.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #30

I am in the process of doing a similiar build, only using alum rails at 1/4" thick. Can you post a couple more body off photos, top view? It looks like a good home build. Hopefully I will have similiar results.

I went with the skala v.3 side rails, and am using brass rod for the cross beams, links. Got all the pieces together, but havent started ripping into it as the snow was too much fun.
Twizted_Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted_Creations View Post
I am in the process of doing a similiar build, only using alum rails at 1/4" thick. Can you post a couple more body off photos, top view? It looks like a good home build. Hopefully I will have similiar results.
I
I went with the skala v.3 side rails, and am using brass rod for the cross beams, links. Got all the pieces together, but havent started ripping into it as the snow was too much fun.
Yeah ill take.some tomorrow /today once I get off work and wake back up
Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking rig I am doing a jeep on wk to.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #33

That looks great man! I am going to start building my own custom while I am out here and this will help out a ton.
cybrrmage76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Well the Crawler king got some love this week, added inner fenders all the way around, tinted the windows, replaced worn out drive gear set in the rear, and most importantly it received a Ae-2 from my new honcho. It is now lipo ready, got 2 2s 5000 mah lipo and its now ready to rock all day.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #35
RCC Addict

I've added 4oz in each front wheel and been driving the Hell out of it, stripped the hitec servo, but luckily had the part to repair it, got some other things in store for it, ill give you a hint. More wheelspeed
Old 04-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #36
RCC Addict

a few recent pics

Last edited by King James; 04-15-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: more pics
Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Got some changes in store the the ole king. Got a dingo body that I'm gonna chop up for the cage and interior. It also has 1.9 ripsaws, and wraith springs on Crawler king shocks to keep the ride height low. next is a new motor
Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #38
RCC Addict

still waiting on the dingo body, but i went ahead and got it running again, also set up a chassis mounted steering with panhard bar, gotta tweak it a little still but its ready to cut the top off and put in the interior when it gets here.

not sure if im gonna keep the 1.9s on it, i sort of liked the way it looked with 2.2s

Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #39
RCC Addict

got the dingo interior and cage mounted up, still got a little to to to the back so i can use the rear tire carrier, its also running a 20t motor now for more wheelspeed
Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #40
RCC Addict

got the rear trimmed up and mounted a bumper on the front, hated the 1.9 rims so i mounted them on my wieghed 2.2 8 holes and stuffed them with some star cut 2.2 ripsaw foams, also trimmed a few center lugs on all of the mounted tires seems to have alot more bite now, cant wait to get it back on the trail and see how it does

2.2 scale build thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Scaler...frame question major94 General Scale Talk 7 11-15-2011 01:36 AM
Metal frame scaler ax10firstbild Newbie General 9 02-17-2011 04:20 PM
best scaler frame to start with? greasemonkey85 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 01-15-2009 08:03 PM