Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: 2.2 scale build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default KJ's "Clicker King"

So I'm about to start my scale frame . Found some sweet cutting board at marshalls. It almost 3/8 thick and has a graphite grey look to it. Got some ideas in my head on what I want. My question is has anyone used the stock tranny clocked 90 degrees that way the frame willed be almost two inches wider than stock. I know I can get a clocked template but I sort of like the idea of the width.

Last edited by King James; 07-26-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: changing name
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: scaler frame

well i had some extra cutting board in the house, so free was the way to go today, wheelbase is adjustable from 12.5 to 14 inches, almost 4.5 center clearance, gotta few more kinks to work out, pinion angles, upper links, but so far ive very happy with the progress, tomorrow im going to sand it down and smooth the rough edges, paint it black. going witht the stock tranny and motor mount clocked 90 degrees. motor hangs a little over the side but doesnt seem to effect it much, at least not now. gonna need some longer telescoping driveshafts, previous owner thought it would be a good idea to cut them down to where they barely overlap, im suprised they havent snapped yet. here are a few pics

-

-

-

-
Old 12-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

nice, looks good !!
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #4

Thats a nice lookin rig ya got there, What chassis is that BTW. Go with a clocked motor plate. I've made my own ( a couple of times) for the wk tranny. It will work really good for what you are going for.
snider937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
RCC Addict

It was just something I came up with based on some of the frames I've seen out this site. I've flipped the lower links and shorten the upper to get the correct drive train angle. Gotta get some longer drive shafts now. I'm working on the servo mount right now, its going on the front on the chassis mounted in-between the frame rails, still gotta do the rear lockouts. Trying to get a real scale look with it
Old 12-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 2.2 scale build thread

what material are you going to use for your steering servo mount? the same as the frame rails?
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
RCC Addict

no i had a little aluminum laying around, mount looked great but preformace was horrible with the hitec servo, the servo had so much power it lifted the frame as well when it turned, i wasnt very happy with the outcome, ended up going back with the axle mount after about an hour of trying to figure it out
Old 12-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Got some more done today, swapped the axle mount to the drivers side since that is the wheel that lifts more while climbing, hopefully that will fix that, mounted all teh electronics in a box that i will waterproof( all the electronics are already waterproofed, but i figured i might as well while i was changing everything, mounted the tranny(might try to lower it a little more, all i have left is a battery mount, right now its only front wheel drive:( gotta figure out a a rear driveshaft till i can buy some new ones, still im happy with the outcome so far.

framed mounted servo(no longer there)

mounted tranny adn electronics

jk jeep

chevy 1500

Hummer
Old 12-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
MSB
Quarry Creeper

I think you would be much happier with shorter shocks, it would help several things in one swoop. That said, I like it and love the homebrew mentality of the build, keep posting pics of what you come up with
MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
RCC Addict

i fabbed up some limiting stapped today till i can dish out some money for scale shocks and dug out a few more of my old savage bodies, happy i can finnaly use some of my old bodies lith longer wheelbases, these both have 13.5-14 of wheelbase

hummer sut, hate the paint job i did on it

cadillac escalade
Old 12-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #11

Jeep body looks real good on there! I just picked up the four door Rubi body yesterday for mine. Should have it done this weekend. Keep up the good work, lookin good so far
Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
RCC Addict

With my custom wk scaler I did I kept the stock shocks I just trimmed the springs down until I had about 3/4 droop and it worked excellent and cheaper then buying new shocks. You can also go to a ace hardware or probably any hardware store and get some shorter springs in whatever spring rate u could want. Looks good man really like that chassis.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #13
RCC Addict

so till i come up with some money for driveshafts (and figure out which ones to get) i had to fab up a rear driveshaft, its been almost a week since i crawled and couldnt stand it anymore, so i bought a 1/2 pvc coupler to go inside of a 1/2 pvc pipe, cut out an inch, super glued teh couplers inside the pipe and then glues the factory driveshaft pieces in each end, so far so good, crawler around the house and even up the stairs. hopefully it will hold out for a month or two till i can buy some metal ones

Old 12-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

that's pretty inventive...
nosyajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #15

Thumbs up Re: 2.2 scale build thread

Now thats thinkin with your dip stick Jimmy Ok, sorry, I had to say it. That is a very good/innovative idea...keep up the good work. Cant wait to see it finished
Old 12-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snider937 View Post
Now thats thinkin with your dip stick Jimmy Ok, sorry, I had to say it. That is a very good/innovative idea...keep up the good work. Cant wait to see it finished

lol thanks man
Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #17
RCC Addict

so i took it out and played for around an hr today, driveshaft is holding up so so far so good, took it all apart afterward and painted the frame, was planning on dyeing it but i had paint laying around and im being cheap, so far ive only spent .36 cents on the whole rebuild. so i painted it put everything back together with lock tight and mounted the caddy body, gonna get some more scale accessories for the jeep before i use it(interior, winch, etc) so thats gonna be a little while. the caddy looks good on it, cant wait to scrath it up some

-

-

-

-
Old 01-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #18
RCC Addict

remounted the jk body and ordered some more goodies including some maxx shafts and a few scale accesories

-

Also set up a small staircase in my backyard course
Old 01-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Looks great man like the stance with the escalade body.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
Looks great man like the stance with the escalade body.
i do to, i jsut went to a scale trail runners event and wanted to have a more scale looke to it. the caddy is gonna be my everyday basher, once i get my replacement trans

2.2 scale build thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Scaler...frame question major94 General Scale Talk 7 11-15-2011 01:36 AM
Metal frame scaler ax10firstbild Newbie General 9 02-17-2011 04:20 PM
best scaler frame to start with? greasemonkey85 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 01-15-2009 08:03 PM