Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Crawler King....My 1st crawler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #21
wyd
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Crawler King....My 1st crawler build

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I ran the stock plastic gears for over a year, 27t,20t,12t,and a55t motors. One day I heard a clicking that sounded like the slipper. Then the motor spun with no movement :( When I opened the trans case the teeth of the top gear fell out. I replaced them with stock replacement and they lasted 2 battery packs. I am now doing the Mod 1 pinion gear swap. A battery lasts 2+ hrs 96\15 gears and 8 nimh cells.
I am pretty easy on my stuff to. Still have all the stock plastic axle bits.
That sucked. If mine get tore up quickly I will look at alternatives for sure. Right now I'm having a ton of fun. Spent another 30 minutes running tonight with a buddy and had a blast.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #22
wyd
Rock Crawler

Today I put my Proline TLS Super Swampers on order along with my Proline Titus rims. I went with the 2.2 version. Look forward to getting them all put together and to mess around with them by Wed of next week.

Now I will have a choice of a more comp tire with my Sedonas or if I want a more trail looking realistic tire I will have my new TSL's.

I was looking at some other tires to buy just to have another tire to mess around with. I was looking at either some Panther Cougars or Proline Chisels. If anyone has any suggestions on these two tires would be cool. They don't have to the best but just an idea of one vs the other or what areas they kind of like. WOrking at the hobbyshop I can get them cheap so I just thought I might like one more set of tires.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
RCC Addict

I liked my chisels. I've never run panther tires but they have some at the lhs and the rubber is super soft. They didn't have foams with them either. Looks good man post up a pic withe the new wheels and tires. I've always liked the Titus wheels.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #24
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
I liked my chisels. I've never run panther tires but they have some at the lhs and the rubber is super soft. They didn't have foams with them either. Looks good man post up a pic withe the new wheels and tires. I've always liked the Titus wheels.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
WIll do. I spent another 45 minutes running tonight but this time it was with a buddy that works at the hobbyshop as he took me to a friends house that has a little rock crawling setup at his house. Had a blast tonight. I ran it a lot harder than I normally do and it worked great with no problems with my gears. The new steering setup worked great so overall its awesome.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

the chisels are a decent tire, the panther cougars are good but short. i have a set of the panther leopards and they work really well as long as the rock is clean. they don't like dusty stuff, and if the rock is slick they take some wheelspeed to hook up. rovers are about the best all around comp tire. they work pretty much everywhere.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #26
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
the chisels are a decent tire, the panther cougars are good but short. i have a set of the panther leopards and they work really well as long as the rock is clean. they don't like dusty stuff, and if the rock is slick they take some wheelspeed to hook up. rovers are about the best all around comp tire. they work pretty much everywhere.
Thanks. I think I'm going to just get the TSL's for now so I have some more real trail looking tires and then my Sedona's for more just crawling over stuff in general. Gives me one of each for now.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #27
wyd
Rock Crawler

Looks like my new TSL Super Swampers will be here on Thursday along with my new Titus rims to go with. Should have them mounted up for Friday when I work at the shop next and get to try them out.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #28
wyd
Rock Crawler

My new TSL Super Swampers arrived today. I took them out of the package and installed my new Titus rims. Wow I really like how nice they look. Much softer than I thought they would be and I like the memory foam that came with the.

Installed on my CK and took them for a test run. These not only look great but work just as well. Was really surprised how they climbed rocks and I could easily go anywhere my Sedonas took me. Had to pick my lines just a little more carefully mainly because the are narrower overall vs the Sedonas. Overall I will be using these for most of my crawling.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #29
wyd
Rock Crawler

Have not done much since my new TSL Super Swamper tires. Really only thing I'm going to do it get that body painted so I can have the 73 Bronco on but other than that I have been just running it and running it.

I love the TSL tires and after having about an hour or more on them I like them even better. They just look so much more realistic and crawl almost everywhere my Sedonas do. Don't get me wrong the Sedonas are still better since the are wider and it allows me to get up onto rocks my TSL's don't make for lack of width. I'm just enjoying the more realistic look right now.

I'm not a 100% realistic guy and won't be putting every realistic piece on my CK but for now the TSL's are my tires of choice and from time to time I will put the Sedonas back on the mess with especially if I want to try crawling over a lot harder terrain.

My CK has turned out to be a lot of fun and after all the work its just now plain fun to run. The new servo mount from CK Crawlers has been excellent so along with the both styles of tires I'm loving the fun of more relaxing non competition crawling with my buddies.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #30
wyd
Rock Crawler

Been awhile since I posted as been getting ready for the indoor offroad season so been working a ton on my 2wd and 4wd SC trucks.

I have not ran the HPI much lately but I did have a new body painted for it. I will get some updated pics tonight. I have a HPI 1973 Ford Bronco painted up for it in candy purple with black motor hood. Nothing too wild and it also has the stock white side stripe that comes in the kit. Really like the way it turned out overall. Just nice and more realistic than I have most of my other stuff painted.

The only other thing is I have some blue HPI rear springs on now and still have the HPI purple front springs. This combo has worked well for me overall with the 30wt oil inside the shocks.

After all this time I really have no complaints about this crawler since the initial fixes I made right from the start with locking out the slipper and putting in the hardened rear ring and pinion gear. Everything else has been excellent along with the front steering mount on the axle and heavy torque servo I put in.

For a just have fun non competition crawler this has been an excellent reliable crawler. Really the only crawler I would want more is the Tamiya CR-01 and it mainly because I have always been into Tamiya stuff but otherwise the CK has been great. Might be ordered some STRC aluminum parts soon to add a little more bling.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Sounds good man i just recently rebuilt my wk and put a bronco body on it as well lots of fun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #32

i just got a rooster system for my hpi crawler king... and im having problems getting my throttle to work (the motors work), i have steering so i know im getting signal... any suggestions?
crawlerkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #33
wyd
Rock Crawler

Just ordered some STRC purple aluminum parts to add some bling to my CK. I have front and rear steering blocks and carriers. Also ordered the half cage in purple aluminum to pick the truck up with when the body isn't on.

Once I install the new bling I will get some new updated pics of everything.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Strc lockouts are awesome as well

Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #35
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Strc lockouts are awesome as well

I was going to order some but Steve was out of them. He at least has a set of hubs and steering knuckles for me and had the top part that I ordered.

Might order the STRC purple shock towers yet and the motor mount and then this crawler is done. Might order a new Tamiya CR-01 soon to build and if I do that then I have two nice fun crawlers to run. Still a fan of Tamiya stuff over the last 20 plus years.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #36
RCC Addict

I've always wanted a cc-01 pajero. Almost bought that as my first rc but i got a wheely king instead. Ive heard good things about there kits.

Post up on how u like the shock towers i want some of them and one of there chassis.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #37
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I've always wanted a cc-01 pajero. Almost bought that as my first rc but i got a wheely king instead. Ive heard good things about there kits.

Post up on how u like the shock towers i want some of them and one of there chassis.

I will post pics of my new stuff and then when I get the towers and motor mount I will post more pics.

Tamiya has always been a company I like to buy from. Just like the stuff they make and even if a lot of parts still easy builds most of the time.

Its so nice out today I'm actually going to get my CK out for a little cruise today because if I wait til Sat or Sun it will be a river float with it going to be raining both days. Will be first time out with new Bronco lid. I will take it easy and no flipping until I put the old stock Jeep back on.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #38
wyd
Rock Crawler

Not the best pictures ever as I used my phone again but I think you can get a good idea of how it looks. My new STRC parts fit perfectly. Going to change that steering around a little and make a more custom looking graphite tube style with threaded rod inside but wanted to get it running last night so I did the easy way.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Can we get a side shot with that new bronco body? Looks real good

Old 10-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #40
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Can we get a side shot with that new bronco body? Looks real good

I will take one tonight when I'm back at the shop.

Crawler King....My 1st crawler build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camo's Mall Crawler 1st scaler build camobob 2.2 Scale Rigs 5 02-04-2011 03:45 PM
1st crawler build from parts I've collected. mr_manny General Crawlers 30 08-23-2008 09:54 PM
1st Crawler - MFM Build - 'lorra Pics! petrolhead Tamiya TLT Crawlers 18 01-21-2008 01:35 PM
1st tlt crawler build eyerace Newbie General 5 08-06-2006 08:51 PM
1st Crawler build ever aussie_N_B Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 3 07-04-2006 02:15 AM