Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Crawler King....My 1st crawler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2014, 01:22 PM   #61

Default Re: Crawler King....My 1st crawler build

Hello everyone, I wanted to get some feedback. I am a Crawler King owner and modifier. I have also been a Machinist for many years. I am going to be machining some custom one off parts for the King series of trucks. I am thinking of possibly starting a small business doing this. These parts would start of as, motor adapter plates that would allow you to install a Kershaw 700HO on the stock tranny, solid machined 7075 heat treated 4 link bars, center driveshafts, axle shafts, an entire kit that would allow you to relocate twin Kershaw 700HO motors and run then to the tranny including a dual disc slipper clutch, motor plates and mounts, and driveshaft to link the motors to the tranny. Of course it would be up to you to change tranny gears and diff gears as well as other components that would handle this torque. I may also in the future be manufacturing those components as well. I would also be inclined to make custom parts for people if they had something they wanted. I am putting the feelers out to see how many people would want these things.
cwthemachinist 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #62
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwthemachinist 9 View Post
Hello everyone, I wanted to get some feedback. I am a Crawler King owner and modifier. I have also been a Machinist for many years. I am going to be machining some custom one off parts for the King series of trucks. I am thinking of possibly starting a small business doing this. These parts would start of as, motor adapter plates that would allow you to install a Kershaw 700HO on the stock tranny, solid machined 7075 heat treated 4 link bars, center driveshafts, axle shafts, an entire kit that would allow you to relocate twin Kershaw 700HO motors and run then to the tranny including a dual disc slipper clutch, motor plates and mounts, and driveshaft to link the motors to the tranny. Of course it would be up to you to change tranny gears and diff gears as well as other components that would handle this torque. I may also in the future be manufacturing those components as well. I would also be inclined to make custom parts for people if they had something they wanted. I am putting the feelers out to see how many people would want these things.
I'd definitely be in for a few of these parts. I'd even sign up to be an early adopter of a few of them. But..my crawler king is now mostly just axles and transmission having moved to a custom chassis.

The market is probably fairly small, but as long as you're not duplicating something that already exists, you'll have some takers.
Snarf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #63
wyd
Rock Crawler

I'm not a huge crawler guy like some as my expertise is race 1/10 scale stuff mostly and some flying of planes. I think if your making something no one else makes you have a much better chance of selling stuff.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #64
wyd
Rock Crawler

My new 35 turn motor will be here tomorrow so that is a bonus. Think I will order another Ford Bronco body and have my painter do a more wild paint job vs my more scale looking purple Bronco I have in my earlier pics. I still have my stock red jeep body to beat around.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #65
wyd
Rock Crawler

Today when I go to the hobby shop my new 35 turn motor should be arriving so I can't wait to get it soldered in and try it out. This is my work horse play crawler as my SCX10 and my CC01 that I didn't build yet are more show pieces and won't get run too much but the Crawler King is the one I turn to to just have fun with.

This has been a great crawler for me and what I started with. Did a few mods to it and put on some nice STRC parts, Hi Torque Savox servo and some other odds and ends. I just like messing around with this as its been bullet proof. The Castle Sidewinder ESC has worked great as well so now just need that cheap 35 turn to show up today and I will be ready for the weekend again.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

I saw your post about a new motor and thought about it looking through your build here did your crawler king not come with the GRU? I didnt see it in any of the pics but thought they all came with them. I have a WK that has been slowly turning into a CK and was thinking the GRU would be next step.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #67
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
I saw your post about a new motor and thought about it looking through your build here did your crawler king not come with the GRU? I didnt see it in any of the pics but thought they all came with them. I have a WK that has been slowly turning into a CK and was thinking the GRU would be next step.
It did come with a motor setup but I was super slow. I'm looking for a little more speed but still have some power. 55 turns just seem too slow even for trail riding. I was doing some hill climbing so I needed a little more wheel speed but now that is done with so looking to split the difference now.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #68
wyd
Rock Crawler

Checked are back order list today and my motor still is on back order. Haha go figure. Guess I will now just look elsewhere and see if I find something close in price. I work at a shop so I'm not going to overspend just to mess around a little. I can wait if need be.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #69
wyd
Rock Crawler

On a good note I tracked down my new 35 turn motor and it will be here early next week. Soon as its here I will be installing it so my CK is back up and ready to crawl and trail ride. Once that is done I can work on some of my other projects like finishing up my SCX10 bottom links and then that one is pretty much done. I still need to build my CC01 Tamiya Toyota Landcruiser. One project I really can't wait to get built. Love Tamiya stuff.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #70
wyd
Rock Crawler

Anyone ever mess with the J Concepts crawler tires? I use their tires for racing all the time and always liked them so wondering how the crawler tires they make work? I might just go ahead and get myself a set as I don't compete so they don't need to be the best out or anything like that.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #71
Quarry Creeper

I have never tried them out, looked at them many times then just go for something I have had before. Be sure to let us know what you think on them if you go that way.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #72
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
I have never tried them out, looked at them many times then just go for something I have had before. Be sure to let us know what you think on them if you go that way.
Will do. As soon as I see are distributor has them back in stock I will be ordering a set.

My 35 turn motor showed up and go figure the one I also had on back order finally came into the hobbyshop as well. Great now I have two and they are so cheap having a spare is never a bad thing. Will try to put it on this weekend.

Crawler King....My 1st crawler build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camo's Mall Crawler 1st scaler build camobob 2.2 Scale Rigs 5 02-04-2011 03:45 PM
1st crawler build from parts I've collected. mr_manny General Crawlers 30 08-23-2008 09:54 PM
1st Crawler - MFM Build - 'lorra Pics! petrolhead Tamiya TLT Crawlers 18 01-21-2008 01:35 PM
1st tlt crawler build eyerace Newbie General 5 08-06-2006 08:51 PM
1st Crawler build ever aussie_N_B Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 3 07-04-2006 02:15 AM