Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: R2 trans in a Crawler King

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question R2 trans in a Crawler King

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to install an R2 trans with a disconnect in a CK chassis. I have been looking at this and I think I can do it, and I think I have a couple different ways to do it. I can mount it on end , like the stock trans, in a couple of spots, low or move it up and tuck the tummy on the frame. Or, I can widen the frame about 1/2 inch and mount it sideways with the tummy tuck. Just thinking, what do you guys think? Hank
hank the crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: R2 trans in a Crawler King

I would say do a tummy tuck. It might be a little more challenging but your cog will be lower.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for input. I'm thinking tummy tuck also. The cog will be a lot lower just by installing the tranny. It will lower the motor by about 2 in. So it will improve cog and increase ground clearance. Hank
Old 08-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #4

Just wondering if you have tried it yet, if so how'd it come out. I'm working on a custom tvp chassis crawler using crawler king driveshafts. I'm trying to decide on the transmission. The stock king tranny is out since it is built of all solid aluminum even the links are center drilled and tapped. I'm building it strong and the stock tranny is not. I was thinking about using my one of my axial transmissions with robinson gears but I'm already using my extra wraith shocks so I don't wanna do all axial stuff.
PrimaryCarbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

It is 99% complete, is running and is working great. I hav'nt hooked the dig unit up yet although it is installed. I'm still looking at linkage. I widened the chassis with a new motor mount about 3/4 and removed the bottom frame , about 1". I'll work on getting some pics and get them on here. I'll post a better build detail also. The R2 trans is awesome, and the rig is much more capable. My only concern is the low gearing. I'm using the supplied 8 tooth pinion and with the integy 55 t motor I figure I could go to a 15 tooth easily. More to come.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i did this a while back...

works GREAT...i did put on some metal driveshafts (drilled out tamuya juggernaut ones) and cvd's since i posted that thread...

rc4wd r2 trans in wk.
nosyajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

click the link in my post...

or here:

rc4wd r2 trans in wk.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Very nice that is the way these rigs should have been built to begin with.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

i agree...it's really fun and out crawls my friends honcho...his has rear dig as well...

the lower COG helps immensely with crawling...

one thing cool about the way i have it set up is that if i control the dig servo with one of the proportional controls, i can free-wheel the rear, instead of locking it, and it adds another dimension to the crawling this rig can do...i put metal driveshafts on, so it doesnt pop off anymore, so the last weak spot was the axles...i just changed it out to cvd's, so it should be pretty bulletproof now...
Old 08-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

O-k crawlers, it is done and works great. I have the dig working and used a Spektrum DX3C to work the unit. I need to work on the driveline slop,[ stock ring and pinions and lockers] but its working great. I'll get some pics and a build sheet on soon. I think thats going to be harder than the build.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

O-k guys and gals. I now have pics and I will try to get them on the site. I need to figure out how to get them on the pooter. As promised here is the build sheet. I bought this CK on e-bay 2 years ago as a new RTR Defender. I put the Defender body aside and installed a Proline Baja bug body. I put on G-made transition shocks in droop mode. I played with the piston valves and am using ATF fluid inside. Very smooth action. I made my own lower links and extended the upper and lower links to reach 12 1/2 inches. I made my servo plate and mounted it on the front axle with a short steering link. I am using the stock link between the tires for the flex but I am finding that I need better control so that link will soon be replaced. I removed the battery box and mounted the battery on the upper link in front. I added 4 oz wt to the front tires. I am using a Novak Rooster Crawler and finally upgraded the motor to an Integy 55 t lathe motor. I played with the gearing and with some dremel work ended up with 14 / 96 gearing. I wore out the bug body and now have a 72 c-10 rock crawler body. I have tried various shock mount positions and have most everything working great. But I wanted a disconnect so I could climb things a CK shouldn't climb. So I checked out RC4WD and purchased a R-2 trans. More to come. Hank
Old 08-21-2012, 04:46 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

O-k, I'm back. I got the trans and started looking at the frame and some way to make this trans work. I could see 2 ways, on end, vertically , like the stocker or in the lay down position. Mounted vertically it would lower the cog and fit inside the frame easily. I could mount it all the way in the bottom of the frame and really lower the cog, or I could raise it up and do a tummy tuck on the frame and have more ground clearance and a lower cog , lower than stock. But I figured if I'm modifiying things why not try to get the lowest cog and most capable frame mods? So I took the frame apart and made a new motor mount out of a piece of nylon. I widened the frame at the trans mount about 5/8 in. I used alum rod for frame spacers and crossmembers and used the original frame crossmembers at each end. This makes the frame bowed out at the middle and tuck in at each end. This way I'm able to use the stock body mount crossmembers. I was able to cut about 1 in off the bottom of the frame also. I moved the lower links outside the frame and used the old upper link holes to mount the links thru the frame into the motor plate . The trans fits neatly inside with the disconnect servo mount and servo in front. I used my same lower links and used the orignal HPI lower links for my new upper links. I shortened them some, upper links. and used old trans holes for the rear mount and made new holes for the front. This makes the links unequal in length but I have'nt noticed any problems with this yet. My wheel base is now 13 in and I'll leave it alone for now. I mounted everything , tested flex and axle travel and started setting the disconnect servo travel. I'm using a Spektrum DX3C radio and its great. I've been testing this rig for a few days now and I'm pleased with how it works. Its way beyond the stock CK in capability and crawling ability. Sidehilling is better due to the lower COG. Even tho I'm in WV there are not a lot of huge rocks here, mostly dirt and trail riding stuff. I have been testing on my concrete block pile and this thing works as it should. I'm going to find some real rocks and try her out! Pics to be loaded soon. Hank Ps. The battery in this configuration is on the front lower links and is almost in the stock position but with the lower COG its o-k. Maybe oneday I'll go lipo and really lose all that upper weight.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Sorry Guys and gals. I've tried for a couple hours now and all I get is a notification that I may not post attachments. I've searched the FAQs and nothing it describes shows up for me. I guess I'm a noob. Hank
Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Ok I now know I really am a noob , or knucklehead if you prefer. I went and read the forum rules and figured out I'm not doing this right. Space for laughter from all I will do this again the right way and get my pics on here. Hank
Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Don't worry about it Hank, everybody struggles when they first start on here.
How do I post pics?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t448/rineharthank/

Last edited by hank the crank; 08-21-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

O-k guys and gals. It was a struggle and I'm not happy with the results but here are the pics, finally!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank the crank View Post
O-k guys and gals. It was a struggle and I'm not happy with the results but here are the pics, finally!
Very nice, to get the pics to show up on the page click the" img "code instead of the" link" code
Old 08-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

By the way, I forgot to report on the pinion swap. RC4WD supplies a 8 t pinion and with the trans gearing it is pretty slow. I picked up a 12 t and a14 t pinion. The 14 won't fit thru the trans without some dremel time so I installed the 12 to test. Wheel speed is much improved with 0 loss of torque or crawling ability. I'll try the 14 soon. Hank

R2 trans in a Crawler King - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler King trans gears Onebdgti HPI Wheely King 2 07-28-2011 12:04 PM
wheely king trans good for donor on crawler william g General Scale Talk 15 02-26-2007 06:09 AM