Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: rebuilt wk sportsman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default rebuilt wk sportsman

I picked up some of the XVD's from RC4WD because they are capable of 45 degrees of steering. So I had to fab up some new steering components and do a little grinding to make it all work out.

I had to grind quite a bit of the chub out to allow it to turn that far. I could have just gound on the knuckle but I didn't want to modify them at this point until I knew it was all going to work out.

I used the bta ideas from the xr for the tie rod and servo mounting. It ended up work out good.

From the front view there is still penty of clearance for the tie rod so it won't get hung up too much.

I just realized I don't have any pics of the steering from the top view. I will snap some later. I have a comp today to test it out and see how it all works.
stolps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: rebuilt wk sportsman

And I almost forgot, I installed some axial underdrive gears in the rear to help the steering as well. The quality of the gears were excellent, and the fit in the wk axles was very good as well.
I had the heavy duty savage ring and pinion in for over a year and there were no signs of wear at all on them.

All lubed up the some rock lube.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

nice steering solution.
You need a BWD Pro comp chassis
Toy Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Nice, I like the BTA steering. I'm interested to see the steering angle after the XVDs though.

Where did you get the solid rear axle shaft? Or did you make it? ...if so how?!
Army RC Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Master View Post
nice steering solution.
You need a BWD Pro comp chassis
What is the Pro comp chassis? I had a sss-r chassis but couldn't get it to work to my liking so I went back to a sprung setup on a homemade chassis. I am looking for a chassis to use yet.

And now the bad news. Second course, second gate, one the xvd's failed me. The steering was so awesome until this happened.

A gentle roll and then some throttle to flip it back over and then a snap. I have put the mip cvd's that I had been running through alot more abuse than this. I am very disappointed. I had high hopes for these axles.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army RC Crawler View Post
Nice, I like the BTA steering. I'm interested to see the steering angle after the XVDs though.

Where did you get the solid rear axle shaft? Or did you make it? ...if so how?!
Sorry, no pics now I made the axle with some 5mm ss rod. Turned the ends down on a lathe, threaded them, drilled 3 holes. It has been holding up for quite some time now.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Here, start on this post of this thread. Shows on more idea of the rear straight axle.

Affordable self made lockouts.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolps View Post
Sorry, no pics now I made the axle with some 5mm ss rod. Turned the ends down on a lathe, threaded them, drilled 3 holes. It has been holding up for quite some time now.
....here, start on this post of this thread. Shows on more idea of the rear straight axle.

Affordable self made lockouts.
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into that.

That sucks about the XVDs! Have you emailed RC4WD about the breakage?
Army RC Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army RC Crawler View Post
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into that.

That sucks about the XVDs! Have you emailed RC4WD about the breakage?
Yeah, I sent them an email. See what happens. I am hoping there is some sort of defect with them because I really do like the extra steering. Although I don't want to break at every comp either.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

RC4WD emailed me back and said to send the parts back and they will send me new ones. I think that is great customer service

But I have another comp on New Years eve and I won't get the parts back in time so I went on to the next idea. Here are a couple pics of what I have so far, the ax10 guys are doing it so I thought I would try. Not sure if it is going to work or not yet but I am pretty excited about it.

More to come in the next day or two.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Stop making your rig better, you're already kicking enough ass at the comps! But seriously, nice work on the WK. Hope it performs well at the next meet, looking forward to giving you a run for your money .
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Getting there now! I hand fabbed some arms, and got the knuckles assembled. For those that don't know, these are xr10 universal axles, with mods capable of well over 50 degrees. I am going to run them at just over 45 degrees for now. Everything rotates and turns very freely, no binding what so ever. I am really liking it. Next I need to make a tie rod to clear the axle housing, still bta, and do a little more grinding on the servo/battery plate to clear the tires. This setup makes the track width about a 1/16" narrower on each side so there is even more rubbing than before. The next comp is tomorrow at 3 so time is getting short now.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

awesome work...the knuckles look great.
nosyajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:34 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Got her done last night. Everything seems like it is working great. A few pics to show it off. A wise man once told me a picture is worth a thousand words. The are all with the servo turning the wheels, not poser shots.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:15 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Dang man I was hoping to be the first to run xr cvd's haha looks great man. I think I'm going to run xr Knuckles on mine they just need a little shaving and the fit right in.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
Dang man I was hoping to be the first to run xr cvd's haha looks great man. I think I'm going to run xr Knuckles on mine they just need a little shaving and the fit right in.
I looked at the xr chuds for hours and couldn't come up with a good way to mount them to the wk housing. I am interested in your ideas as I have a couple sets of knuckles and chubs that I would love to throw on my basher/trail wk.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I I'm going to use wk chubs and wk Knuckles just Have the knuckles mount inside the chub instead of out side like on the xr chubs
Old 01-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
I I'm going to use wk chubs and wk Knuckles just Have the knuckles mount inside the chub instead of out side like on the xr chubs
You mean put the xr knuckle inside the wk chub. It fits good but won't work because of the 8 degree or whatever kingpin inclination. I know, I thought about it many times.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

The rig performed excellent at the comp today. Very glad I made all the changes to the steering. With this setup, I have no fear what so ever of breaking another axle. The overdrive/underdrive gearing made a big difference as well.

I know I made at least one ax10 driver scratching his head on what was wrong with his rig.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #20
RCC Addict

I didn't even think about the king pin angle I'll have to see what I can figure out. Nice to see they worked well can't wait to get mine going.

rebuilt wk sportsman - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rebuilt TF SLEDGE Kyosho Crawlers 10 11-24-2011 04:33 AM
Rebuilt MRC skywker51 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 20 11-23-2010 12:02 AM
The rebuilt jk rch8r 2.2 Scale Rigs 6 10-12-2010 10:46 AM
so I rebuilt my tuber! Mac10 HPI Wheely King 13 09-05-2007 09:44 PM
My crawler rebuilt tell me what you all thinK hodgy_789 Newbie General 3 11-12-2006 05:44 AM