Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Turning my WK/CK into a trail truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 03:59 AM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Turning my WK/CK into a trail truck

Yeah, I don't plan on doing any fancy crawling with this rig, that's what the other trucks are for.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Quick video of the WK/CK with the brushless system running in the snow.

Brushless Wheely King in the snow - YouTube

Last edited by road_rascal; 02-16-2014 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Can't get video embedded
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:02 AM   #43
Rock Stacker

I myself am a wk owner I must say that rig is well built great job . I especially like the four link mount I think I'm gona have to make some of those . Hope to see a follow up pick of it in action .
the build master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

if you want a cheaper alloy chassis grab an integy one there nice i run one on my WK
gunder463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:58 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Fun video there- you just can't beat a WK for bashing or trail use.

They are about bullet-proof, and I'm very unforgiving when it comes to bad engineering. You won't find much of that in an HPI Wheely King, they are a well-sorted design, evidenced best by the nature of the "upgrades" offered for them. Most are purpose driven changes rather than improvements.

The statement about it being the ideal truck for snow bash is very astute. It's an "Old School" Monster truck layout, better suited to bombing over wrecked cars (a high CG is an advantage here) than clambering over rocks.

My own 6X6 is made of mostly stock parts!

Axles too wide? Maybe for a true to scale build, but back in the day, we were SCREAMING for wider track RC. If the WK had been introduced in 1990, aluminum ClodBusters would not exist. In those days, something like the Wheely King would have been pure ecstasy.

HPI made some shrewd conclusions about how the truck could be implemented by hobbists. The modular construction goes a long way (note the comment about easily replacing a frame half) towards encouraging modification or aftermarket replacement of its parts.

I got started in RC with Tamiya's Super Champ. A complex, overweight, poorly designed PIG (spoken while wiping a nostalgic tear) of an RC car, it was broken ALL the time. The Wheely King is light years from this stuff, only Tamiya's Wildwilly2 approaches the level of user friendliness and durability.

Making a WK into an all-out crawler is fun (I have a scratchbuilt), but almost registers as a fail when compared to the STELLAR basher that it is.

I like this build, it's right on the money.

Last edited by killbucket; 06-30-2014 at 04:05 AM.
killbucket is offline   Reply With Quote

Turning my WK/CK into a trail truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
turning a comp crawler into a scale trail truck street.terror Newbie General 9 01-03-2012 10:21 AM
Turning the Disco II into a trail truck treday619 Chit Chat 10 09-20-2011 01:29 PM
HELP..Truck Throttles by itself...after turning on Macky HPI Wheely King 10 05-21-2009 09:04 PM