Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: cheap WK based build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default cheap WK based build

[IMG][/IMG]Hey guys this is going to be my first build so don't expect perfection cause I'm not haha. I'm going to be using mostly my WK and a hand full of parts from my slash and maybe my castle creations sidewinder v2. I' m going for a cross between a 70s or 80s sfa trophy truck and a ttc. Don't know if I want to use the brushless motor or not or if I want to use my WK trans or the slash tranny or try to find a 2spd trans for a good deal, inputs appreciated. So far I've bought some brakeline, allthread, jato rod ends, and 1/2 inch aluminum channel. Here's a pic as she sits right now.

Last edited by koltkarle; 01-03-2013 at 09:23 AM.
koltkarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: cheap WK based build

The RC4WD 2 speed is an awesome trans . The Axial AX10/SCX10 gearbox is also a good choice, and way easier to mount.. Using the parts on hand is one way to go if you're handy at doing some fabrication and trial/error fitting.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks traildawg I like the rc4wd 2spd and the r2 and the axial might happen cause they're cheap as well. I started on making the c channel chassis, it's kind of lame but will work, also got the lower links made up and mocked up. I will post some picks later but don't flame me too much this is my first chassis ever with limited tools and supplies. Hopefully I'll get a torch kit soon and can start making my tube chassis that'll be a challenge.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by koltkarle View Post
Thanks traildawg I like the rc4wd 2spd and the r2 and the axial might happen cause they're cheap as well. I started on making the c channel chassis, it's kind of lame but will work, also got the lower links made up and mocked up. I will post some picks later but don't flame me too much this is my first chassis ever with limited tools and supplies. Hopefully I'll get a torch kit soon and can start making my tube chassis that'll be a challenge.
Everybody is just working with the tools they got looks like a good start so far!
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Got any pics of the C channel frame? That's what I used for my last chassis.
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

This is my first attempt ever so kind of rough, just using a drill, sawzall, bench grinder, and hand tools. I still need to make upper links, servo mount for the axle, battery holder transmount and ect. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Didn't use a belt sander, drill press or plasma welder yet ? Can't wait to see the end result.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Haha, it'll be awhile but I'm getting there, only thing slowing me down is doing one thing like the shock towers then hating them and having to redo them which will be done tomorrow, and figuring out a way to make the upper links work.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

That chassis looks just like the first one I made. Same body even. I only have a bench vise, drill, dremel and grinder. Good job, hoping to see more updates.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

redoing the shock towers now hoping to start on a servo mount and the upper links and mounting.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Hey guys it's been a few days since I've been able to get anything done on the count of my lil boy being in his terrible twos and running me up a wall, but last night I was able to catch some well deserved sleep and now I'm back at it and heres a little update, I redone the front shock towers made a mount for my front upper links, and the steering link. Right now I'm going out to the shed to make the rear shock towers and later mounting the rear upper links. I'll have some updated pics in an hour or so.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Ok so the wheelbase is a little longer at 15 3/8 but I like the look of it so it'll stay like that, ive got a couple question. First where can I get a driveshaft that is 6 and an eighth and one 5 and 5/8 long most of the ones I found come up a little short, second does the lock out method look strong enough or has anyone done this method and have it fail. Also does anyone know a good hard body from a toy class rc truck that has a wheelbase close to 15 3/8 and about 10 inches wide or so?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Looking good! If you're talking about the locking the rear steering I basically did the same thing with mine.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Ya I like your set up, if I have room on my rear upper link mount I'll probably run something like that. On another note were did you get those shock mounts or is that what comes with a crawler king?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Shock mounts came with the Crawler King conversion set/kit. I made a new link and moved it to the other side of the 4 link mount (still going to the left rear wheel). It was in the way of the shock mounting holes if I want to lower the chassis. Still works fine.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

I'm going to have to get some mounts like that,I just flipped the stock wk ones so I'm limited to two mounting positions. also what tires are those I'm looking to ditch my slash tires, I need something a little bigger to match the longer wheelbase.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Those are stock Axial Ridgecrest tires and wheels. I threw them on there for giggles. Right now I have Axial beadlocks with Losi Comp Claws on it (photo shows a different set of wheels- now has these wheels). This thread has photos of RC4WD Super Swampers with the wheels on my WK/CK.

cheap WK based build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rs10 based build jwo Redcat Crawlers 45 04-25-2012 08:18 AM
1.9 and clod based super -cheap aychdee Massachusetts 0 04-22-2009 06:13 PM
Now I can build a WK based crawler... drcooper Newbie General 3 06-21-2007 04:30 PM
Cheap upgrade for COMP based 2.2 Clod.... toyofast Tamiya Clod Buster 77 09-02-2006 08:50 PM